Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 06:22 PM

5,768 posts, read 11,393,006 times

Advertisements

I have an apartment in Germany that I planned on returning to this month. Obviously, not going to happen. I have a residence permit card for Germany, so I would not be a "tourist" when I return there. At this point, I am guessing the earliest I might be able to return will be in September, because no other country will want people from the US to enter as long as CV-19 is still growing at alarming rates in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 06:47 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,434,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
I have an apartment in Germany that I planned on returning to this month. Obviously, not going to happen. I have a residence permit card for Germany, so I would not be a "tourist" when I return there. At this point, I am guessing the earliest I might be able to return will be in September, because no other country will want people from the US to enter as long as CV-19 is still growing at alarming rates in the US.
I know someone who thinks he will be visiting German Brothels in August

Old 05-02-2020, 03:29 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,665,455 times
We got stuck in Europe and have a flight back to our retirement country, Ecuador, which has been hard hit itself.

But will they accept us with a passport stamped "Spain", since we layover in Madrid? The flight is June 9...who knows.

Old 05-02-2020, 03:19 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,616,292 times
I have traveled internationally minimum once every year since 1995, I returned from overseas this March coincidently just as the virus threat was becoming apparent. I'm very motivated to return because I'm planning on relocating overseas possibly permanently now that I'm retired & I want to expedite location & housing.

Having said all that I can't see myself traveling for another 12 months anyway. There will inevitably be 2nd & 3rd waves of infection & travel means that we are packed tight in planes & waiting areas & lines & dealing with mass transit. Travelers are confined constantly to well worn places such as restaurants & hotels & pubs & taxis that are frequented by masses of other transients daily or weekly.

At this point we are not even sure as to how most of us are catching the virus, who has it & what percentage of the population are unknowing carriers & spreading it. So I've decided to wait it out a bit longer until some of these mysteries clear up & perhaps there may come a vaccine or successful treatment too.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,125,090 times
Guys, the US is the leader in Coronavirus cases in the world.

It's going to be a long time before any country lets US citizens in.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for a Italy trip this fall. Sicily is offering to pay for half the cost of your flight and a third of your hotel bill for travel there.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:15 PM

208 posts, read 114,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Not per capita. The total doesn’t matter.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:25 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,274,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Having said all that I can't see myself traveling for another 12 months anyway. There will inevitably be 2nd & 3rd waves of infection & travel means that we are packed tight in planes & waiting areas & lines & dealing with mass transit. Travelers are confined constantly to well worn places such as restaurants & hotels & pubs & taxis that are frequented by masses of other transients daily or weekly.
Having just barely gotten out of Bolivia in March after a tour was cut short, I agree. I need time to see how it all shakes out, what changes are made in plane configurations, what's closed, whether there's a 2nd or 3rd wave, how the numbers of reported cases change, etc. I have a small-ship cruise off Belize and Guatemala scheduled in October, 2021 and am sort of comfortable with that! I would love to take the part of my South American tour I didn't take in March of next year (the part I did take was the "pre-trip" so it's easy to sign up for the rest) but am not ready to commit to that.

My late husband and I flew to Edinburgh in October, 2001 from Newark. Airfares were reasonable and we were even able to upgrade to Business Class on the trip home using miles- very rare. We loved Scotland and returned a few more times. That was very different, though. We weren't concerned about a repeat of the 9/11 attacks on our trip. COVID-19 seems a lot more likely, especially in all the Petri-dish places travelers pass through.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:53 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,095,346 times
As posted into another thread.
I have a 2 weeks trip, for a family of 5, to Australia in late October. All booked and paid for, including hotels/AirBnB (in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne), airline tickets, and various event tickets etc. We are supposed to fly from Midwestern United States to Los Angeles and to the Down Under on October 21st.

They are talking about a Vaccine ready for "TESTING" in phase 3 by Jan 2021 - which many scientists say, too aggressive of a target date, and probably won't happen.

It looks our trip may not go ahead unless a miracle happens.

Old 05-03-2020, 12:52 AM

2,311 posts, read 1,532,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
As posted into another thread.
I have a 2 weeks trip, for a family of 5, to Australia in late October. All booked and paid for, including hotels/AirBnB (in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne), airline tickets, and various event tickets etc. We are supposed to fly from Midwestern United States to Los Angeles and to the Down Under on October 21st.

They are talking about a Vaccine ready for "TESTING" in phase 3 by Jan 2021 - which many scientists say, too aggressive of a target date, and probably won't happen.

It looks our trip may not go ahead unless a miracle happens.
So many of our early cases were brought in from the US that it is unlikely that the borders will be opening from there any time soon.

Our borders between most states are still closed, after they open it is likely to be New Zealand where we will be allowed to travel and vice versa.

Even when travel is allowed the current arrangement is likely to continue until there is a vaccine or cure. Everyone who arrives from overseas (almost all are now returning citizens) is placed in quarantine in a hotel for fourteen days under police or military guard. Someone has just been charged and jailed in Perth for repeatedly sneaking out of his hotel.

As these arrangements currently have a very high level of support they are the last restrictions expected to be modified.

Personally, we are hoping the state borders will be open in October to enable us to visit our apartment in Queensland. I expect it will be local travel next year unless we decide to visit NZ again.

Old 05-03-2020, 04:24 AM

23,238 posts, read 29,080,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post

It's going to be a long time before any country lets US citizens in.

In the meantime, I'm hoping for a Italy trip this fall. Sicily is offering to pay for half the cost of your flight and a third of your hotel bill for travel there.
Given the lack of free speech, restricted media, in China, I'm sure any country is not going to put much weight on the Numbers coming out of face-saving China.

1/4 of the world population are risk-takers, I'm one of them, and it may take the risk-takers to get the tourism industry moving again. Don't we all know, greater the risk, sweeter the rewards.

This pandemic, and what the future now holds, that alone should stimulate the tourism industry! Nothing brings you closer to eternity than travel! Having completely lost my fear of dying during this period, I'm ready for a rural trip to Bangladesh, Yemen, Pakistan or the Gaza Strip.

Last edited by tijlover; 05-03-2020 at 05:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel