Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:14 AM

22 posts, read 128,434 times

Advertisements

We're hoping to move back to California soon. We've been looking at homes in Corona. North or South? Looking for a newer schools and shopping areas. Is there any gang activity? Can anyone tell me about mello-roos? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 02:56 PM

27 posts, read 130,438 times
I would advise South Corona. Ontario Avenue as the most Northern border of your search. My brother in law lives off of Cajalco and the 15, and the area is very nice! They just opened up Dos Lagos outdoor mall there about a year ago!

I just moved from North Corona. It's starting to go downhill due to the foreclosures, etc. A tagging crew has moved into the Corona Hills area and is starting to tag in the Corona Ranch area now. "DGPK" is their tag, and it's everywhere. Also, the "class" of people was starting to deteriorate. That's one of the reasons we left.

Old 09-01-2008, 01:35 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
I agree that South Corona is what you have described in your post, although I would make an exception for Green River, specifically Sierra del Oro, but the problem with that neighborhood is that it's rather isolated from shopping, unless you go other Corona areas or OC. It has a grocery store and a couple of restaurants and the like, but that's about it. South Corona has much more in terms of shopping and restaurants.

You can get very close to the Cleveland National Forest in South Corona and Sierra del Oro, which does improve the air quality a bit. I knew someone who moved to South Corona from OC a few years ago who suffers from respiratory issues, and they live practically on top of the forest and have not had any incidents in Corona, which is pretty good for the IE.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:21 PM

Thank's alot for the info! Now I can narrow down my search to the areas you both have specified. We made the mistake of not researching the area taht we live in now and have regretted it, not bad, just too conservative...could be worse. Thank again!

Old 09-01-2008, 06:14 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinogrl View Post
Thank's alot for the info! Now I can narrow down my search to the areas you both have specified. We made the mistake of not researching the area taht we live in now and have regretted it, not bad, just too conservative...could be worse. Thank again!
Just to let you know, the parts of Corona that were recommended to you are moderately conservative as well, but probably not as conservative as where you are now.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 AM

Moderate is good! We are looking for balance.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:33 AM

Can anyone tell me about mello-roos? I've heard they amount you pay depends on the square footage of your home. Is this true?

Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 AM

You are correct in that the Mello-Roos is assessed based upon the size of the house and lot as awell as property use, since they all factor into the value. Here's a good link that describes the background of Mello-Roos and how it works. http://www.mello-roos.com/pdf/mrpdf.pdf

Old 09-03-2008, 08:29 AM

Thanks for the link bmwguy. The exlpanation was easily interpreted. It is scary however, to think the County can foreclose on your home after being only 90 days late with your tax payment, yikes! This shouldn't deter me from the City of Corona, you can't beat the home prices and the proximity of the surrounding counties.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM

I know that is scary about the Mello-Roos system, and the 90 day rule, but it does help to keep the money flowing to the services that make such districts better overall. Yes, Corona does have a lot to offer, and some of the new communities are great and good values too. You could easily pay 30-40% more for similar houses in nearby OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties