Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2020, 12:39 PM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It's the license plate. Any New York plate is going to get a pretty poor reception among locals in Northern New England. Massachusetts plates have the same problem. The "go away" sentiment is very strong at the moment. People are afraid. The "I have money. People will like me" thing with out of staters is unlikely to work in 2020. It wouldn't matter if you're from Plattsburgh a jillion miles from the plague. You have NY license plates.
Fair enough. I just think/hope that the environment the last week of August is going to be hugely different than it was the last week of April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2020, 01:38 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
I just wonder what there is about this trip that would appeal to a seven year-old. ???

Old 05-01-2020, 01:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
My wife and I were planning to travel internationally in August with our 7 year old daughter, but for obvious reasons that's not happening. We live in NY state and are looking for a beautiful place in driving distance to rent a house for a week and explore the outdoors. I realize that they are in opposite directions, but we haven't spent much time in either West Virginia or New Hampshire. Both seem to have nice mountainous areas that aren't too close to huge metropolises, and seem like good picks. (We've spent tons of time in pretty much all other states in the region, and all else equal would like to go someplace new.)

Any preferences between the two with a second grader? We're not counting on being able to visit any sort of indoor attractions or busy towns/villages in light of coronavirus, but are hoping that by late August we can spend a week doing light hiking, maybe taking boat rides, and enjoying scenic views. WV seems more off the beaten path, and we've never stepped foot in that state before. But it also seems perhaps geared more toward adventure travelers, and we're certainly not in that class. NH's lakes region and White Mountains seem very nice, and remind me of parts of Vermont that we've visited. WV seems far less expensive, but it depends upon the region.

Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
I ve been in both. Hands diwn NH. In one week you could see rivers near conway, lake merdirh, bar harbor beach, white mountains. The scenery is outstanding. Lots of ski resorts in summer open for himing and gondola rides. They even have a small town theme park near conway for kids and clarks outpost in lincoln .

wv looked more secluded and poor compared to NH.

Edit: snce you said rent a house for a week, you could stay at conway and do day trips to the lakes, mountains and rivers.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:14 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
It might change by August but I personally wouldn't drive to Northern New England with New York plates. You'll be treated as a biohazard.
Quote:
We don't live in NYC. You think by the end of August NYers will not be welcome in NH? I think a lot of hotel and restaurant owners would beg to differ.

Nope. Don't bother trying to come to Maine. Vacationland is closed for the season. No hotels/motels/campgrounds. You *must* quarantine for 14 days if coming in from out of state, but, where ya gonna stay? If you don't own property you're out of luck. If you don't have more than 2 weeks for vacation, you're out of luck.

Stay home.

Quote:
Fair enough. I just think/hope that the environment the last week of August is going to be hugely different than it was the last week of April.
Probably will be different- I think that will be just in time for the 2nd wave, and that it will be 10 times worse. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not going to bet on being wrong.

Old 05-01-2020, 02:47 PM

460 posts, read 232,310 times
I don't feel that WV is dangerous since one doesn't plan to be in the city but in the country. Out in the country, it's very safe and comfortable. Even in the city one just needs to stick to a nicer area and will be no problems. No worries about out of state plates in WV either, especially in August. But even now I wouldn't be worried about out-of-state plates, I have first hand info on this. I think there're a lot of exaggerated fears out there about WV.

As to any other state's "quarantine" requirements - will be gone by August, I'm pretty sure on that one, and I agree with OP that in tourist-dependent economy, like in certain places in New England, they'll be wanting visitors to be back pretty soon. These states ain't got no money, and can't drag forever. In many of those places, they make all their yearly money during summer season.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:41 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
New Hampshire is more interesting, more scenic, drive the Kancamagus highway, stop at the upper falls.
Cog railway is a neat day trip.
Go north and see the androscoggin river, wet a line, toss a fly, see the old lumber mill in Berlin, the nansen ski jump.
Head on up to errol and rent a canoe, go further on to dixville notch. The connecticut river is just a stream up there.

I'm in northern Maine near Mt Katahdin, we don't like tourists too much, just send your money.

Old 05-02-2020, 06:21 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,191 times
Go to Lincoln, New Hampshire. There's so much to do there for families. Besides plenty of hiking and outdoor spaces like caves and gorges to explore there are also places like Clark's Trading Post and Whale's Tale Waterpark.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
I just wonder what there is about this trip that would appeal to a seven year-old. ???
My 7 year old daughter absolutely loves the outdoors - going for walks in nature, boat rides, seeing wildlife, etc. She even is starting to take photographs of flowers and animals, etc. She also likes zoos and children's museums and aquariums, but if those are all closed, why would we NOT take her on an outdoorsy vacation?

Old 05-02-2020, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landlock View Post
As to any other state's "quarantine" requirements - will be gone by August, I'm pretty sure on that one, and I agree with OP that in tourist-dependent economy, like in certain places in New England, they'll be wanting visitors to be back pretty soon. These states ain't got no money, and can't drag forever. In many of those places, they make all their yearly money during summer season.
Agree 100 percent. I don't expect in August to fly on airplanes, go to concerts and sporting events, etc. But I think there will be very, very serious economic harm if the entire summer is closed off in terms of hotels and restaurants, etc. in areas where Memorial Day to Labor Day is ideal weather wise. Our neighbors own a summer camp that constitutes 100 percent of their annual income. If that is completely shut down, their 2020 income stream will be devastated (and their many employees will be out of work).

I completely and thoroughly understand why right now - May 2 - people in Maine and New Hampshire would not want those from Boston and NYC flocking to their towns. But as cases and deaths go down every day, I think that attitude is shifting, and by August economic concerns will have lots of restaurant and hotel owners WANTING visitors. At least that is my expectation as of today.

Old 05-02-2020, 07:27 AM

And thank you for all of the wonderful suggestions re: New Hampshire - looks terrific!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel