Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 08:04 AM

11,798 posts, read 12,038,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Now they're planning to close the border until late July. Drat, drat, drat! Looks certain no cross border trip this summer if not this entire year at all.
They don't even want us travelling between provinces right now, and especially the Maritime provinces with their very low cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 08:21 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Some Canadians don't even want travel amongst themselves.

Alberta visitors to BC have had tires slashed and windows broken with notes left to GO HOME.

Might not be a good time to head north.

Old 06-10-2020, 08:52 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Some Canadians don't even want travel amongst themselves.

Alberta visitors to BC have had tires slashed and windows broken with notes left to GO HOME.

Might not be a good time to head north.

This pandemic is bringing out the worst in us all. The next worst thing for a traveler beyond being told no entry is being unwelcomed after entry. This used to happen often in the developing world after a conflict but I wouldn't have thought the U.S. and Canada would stoop so low as this.

Old 06-10-2020, 05:39 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
This pandemic is bringing out the worst in us all. The next worst thing for a traveler beyond being told no entry is being unwelcomed after entry. This used to happen often in the developing world after a conflict but I wouldn't have thought the U.S. and Canada would stoop so low as this.
We are still having this problem in Australia even though the pandemic is under control.Almost all our new cases are in travellers returning from overseas who are in compulsory quarantine in hotels. There are only about 400 active cases in the country including these returned travellers. But the Premiers of the five states with closed borders are refusing to open them.

Queensland is being the most stubborn in that it is closely tied economically to NSW, there are huge towns on the border and it is the height their usual tourist season. Also, as the NSW border was never closed, Queenslanders can travel into NSW and then Victoria but not the other way around.

I am actually very disappointed that the population are so parochial and seem to think of themselves as Queenslanders or Tasmanians rather than Australians. We had hoped to travel to southern Qld in July if they open up but I fear we would not be welcome. We have a holiday apartment in Nth Qld and the bans are costing thousands.

Today’s talk is that the Qld Premier is looking at allowing New Zealanders to travel there before us. NZ is supposed to be Covid free but I read that their cases from returning travellers are excluded from the figures.

Hope Canada’s politicians have more common sense that a lot of ours.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:02 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
I own a cottage / property in Quebec (I'm a USA citizen) - and I am worried for its welfare!

Are all the (many many) Americans with summer cabins in Canada just out of luck? Hoping it didn't take a tree to the roof in the winter?

Old 06-11-2020, 07:43 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I own a cottage / property in Quebec (I'm a USA citizen) - and I am worried for its welfare!

Are all the (many many) Americans with summer cabins in Canada just out of luck? Hoping it didn't take a tree to the roof in the winter?
Call / email a nearby Canadian friend, they have always been very helpful to me.

They have chainsaws and plywood and roof cement in Canada, (and know how to use them)

Old 06-11-2020, 03:36 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,168,764 times
Sounds like the restrictions will be extended until the end of July, according to sources close to the negotiations. This isn't 100% yet though.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Sounds like the restrictions will be extended until the end of July, according to sources close to the negotiations. This isn't 100% yet though.
Even here we are now looking at July for our internal borders to open. This is when I could tell you the story of each individual case of the virus in NSW lately. Today there is a single probable case. First in seventeen days, outside the quarantine hotels. That will likely make the Queenslanders want to keep us out for another three months.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:17 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,774,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post

You can place all of your bets that it would though. Other than tourist vendors, persons with extended family members in the U.S., and property owners, not many Canadians are supportive of opening the border anytime soon and especially not without quarantine. What I don't get is why don't they institute an admittance system that requires proof of antibody testing such as that set forth by the State of Maine. Individuals must have tested negative for the coronavirus within 72 hours before arrival at the border and show those documents to border patrol. Travelers can then be required to draft and present a preliminary itinerary for their stay and agree to be subjected to a system of contact tracing so that they avoid areas with large crowds. Certain areas can be closed off to visitors. Visitors who fail to socially distance will suffer the consequences including persona non grata status the next time they try to visit. Yeah it may sound like visiting North Korea and believe me, I do not think a system like this is ideal, but in these unusual times, it's better than no admittance at all. Both the U.S. and Canadian authorities could have enacted something like this had they carefully thought out a plan but instead they're willing to prolong the closure indefinitely. My gripe is that the closure will be extended again and again until there's no chance to visit Canada even for just basic sightseeing until next year or even the next.

Old 06-12-2020, 09:56 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Funny that Americans think they have a right to visit Canada. If you're a citizen of China or India, you can't visit Canada without a visa, and that application process is long and complicated. I'm not sure what makes Americans so special that they are visa-exempt (which they are, even if the border is temporarily closed). I hope that after the pandemic, Canada makes its visa requirements more egalitarian and either enforces them for all, or relaxes them for all. One or the other. No special treatment for anybody. This pandemic has taught humanity one thing: it is pointless to discriminate based on citizenship.

Funny that Canadians think that they can escape their terrible winters by being snowbirds for up to six months of the year and travel and stay visa free in FL or Arizona or some of those warmer states. What makes them so special that they should be visa exempt to be in USA for such long periods of time. Maybe they should not be given visas and should stay put in Canada during those harsh Canadian winter. Let us see how they endure this coming winter.

Go ahead, enforce visa for US citizens and it will be reciprocated. Let us see what it does to Canadian and US economies. The result won't be so pleasant for Canada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel