Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 01:13 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times

Advertisements

I just came back from Koln, Germany. Eating is now officially outrageous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 04:40 PM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
I just came back from Koln, Germany. Eating is now officially outrageous.
What does that even mean? Expensive? Large portions? Bad food or really good food?

I've always found Koeln to have a mix of options, prices, quality etc. so would be interested to hear your take on things.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 AM

1,845 posts, read 4,229,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
What does that even mean? Expensive? Large portions? Bad food or really good food?

I've always found Koeln to have a mix of options, prices, quality etc. so would be interested to hear your take on things.
17 bucks for one order of pad thai noodles. Quality fair. Loaded with MSG. Tasted not as good as the pad thai I get in Thailand or the USA.

Mexican dinner for 2, 75 bucks. Reasonable quality.

Pizza Hut, 40 bucks for two.

A roadside gas station rest stop restaurant had some noodle concoction and goulash for about 20 bucks. 75 cents just to take a leak. A 12 ounce Nescafe in a bottle was 5 bucks.

I came back two weeks ago from a one month trip to the NE in the USA and you can get three times the meal and experience for half the price. The Italian family I brought over was just amazed. We took them the Chevys where for a hundred bucks 4 adults and 5 kids ate what Francesco said would cost a MINIMUM of $250 back in Umbria. Not counting the sombrero he got.

I don't know if you have been back to Germany since the Euro Dollar exchange hit 1.6 to 1.

Last edited by Bob The Builder; 08-12-2008 at 01:36 AM..

Old 08-12-2008, 05:06 AM

605 posts, read 2,381,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob The Builder View Post
17 bucks for one order of pad thai noodles. Quality fair. Loaded with MSG. Tasted not as good as the pad thai I get in Thailand or the USA.

Mexican dinner for 2, 75 bucks. Reasonable quality.

Pizza Hut, 40 bucks for two.

A roadside gas station rest stop restaurant had some noodle concoction and goulash for about 20 bucks. 75 cents just to take a leak. A 12 ounce Nescafe in a bottle was 5 bucks.

I came back two weeks ago from a one month trip to the NE in the USA and you can get three times the meal and experience for half the price. The Italian family I brought over was just amazed. We took them the Chevys where for a hundred bucks 4 adults and 5 kids ate what Francesco said would cost a MINIMUM of $250 back in Umbria. Not counting the sombrero he got.

I don't know if you have been back to Germany since the Euro Dollar exchange hit 1.6 to 1.
Ok - now I get you. To be honest Germany is the last place that I would attempt to get Thai food, or Mexican for that matter. I'm not saying there's not a good Thai or Mexican restaurant hidden away somewhere but overpriced crap is something I'd expect in those types of restaurants.

And what were you doing in Pizza Hut? You live in Italy, don't you? Pizza Hut is overpriced and sub-par the world over. Even if you go to countries in Asia then it still costs an absolute fortune compared to local food. I'll admit that while traveling I have used Pizza Hut in India, Thailand and Malaysia to give my stomach the occasional 'rest' from the richness of the local cuisine but found it a very (comparably) expensive option just to be able to get some bland food!

You also quote the costs incurred at some roadside gas station stop - since when have these been considered measures of what a country has to offer from a cuisine standpoint? Or is there anywhere else on earth that you've encountered that's different?

I'm curious as to why you didn't cite any restaurants that served German food as examples to prove your point? Those would be the most representative for your argument. The other major cuisine available widely in Germany is Turkish food given the level of that population present.

Nothing would be considered "cheap" if someone was visiting from the U.S., but then that's a factor of the dollar's comparative worth - but at least in Germany if someone ate as the locals would most often do - that being at places that do German or Turkish food then at least you'd tend to get excellent quality for your money.

Old 08-12-2008, 06:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
- but at least in Germany if someone ate as the locals would most often do - that being at places that do German or Turkish food then at least you'd tend to get excellent quality for your money.
Love those curry dogs.

Old 09-12-2008, 10:48 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
One month later and the $ is getting stronger. Were at .7044 at the time of this post.

No worries about the cost of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel