Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2020, 03:18 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Take I-90 to I-84. (Sturbridge)
I-84 to I-81 (Scranton)
I-81 to I-77 (Ft. Chiswell, VA)
I-77 to I-26 (Columbia SC)
I-26 to I-95 (near Santee SC)
I-95 to I-10 (Jacksonville FL)
I-10 to US 310 South to Ocala

This indirect routing is only 2 hours longer (21 hrs vs. 19 hrs) than taking I-95 all the way from Boston to Jacksonville FL.

I have driven this route from CT many times. I-81 is beautiful as it goes along the Shenandoah river valley and looks up to the Blue Ridge Mountains. The drive from I-77 from VA down into NC is as stunning and it is very down: use low gear.

I-81 is also a better road bed than I-95, which goes through every major city along the east coast. I-81 generally has fewer trucks than I-95.

Oh, did I mention that I-95 has a gazillion tolls, and not cheap 25 cent tolls - each toll is a few dollars. Really adds up. This alternate has NO Tolls once you cross the Hudson River.

Two hours more and a more picturesque, quieter ride. That's a trade off I have willingly made many times.
This is the route I take but I feel like I am going way out of the way. That and I-81 especially thru Virginia is loaded with trucks and only 2 lanes. I can barely ever see the views, because I'm boxed in by convoys of trucks. It's a winding up and down highway. Still I would take this route over 95 any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM

208 posts, read 114,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
There's this thing called Google Maps....
surprised I need to explain it but it will give you quickest route respective of traffic, construction, time of day, and even give alternative routes in terms of accidents, etc....all on the fly. I guess it still cannot consider the "safest" route.
Google maps, Apple Maps, and GPS devices with traffic will all try to route you optimally. What they don’t tell you are things like they are saving you 2 minutes by plunging you into a traffic jam. Around NYC to DC, you have to apply smarts and experience that the automated devices cannot supply.

If you slavishly follow Google Maps around NYC, you are in for some painful experiences.

Old 11-26-2020, 02:07 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,511,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
Not nearly all the time, and sometimes the routings are a bit bizarre. It is good for traffic though, and has successfully routed me around problems many a time.

For example, I drive from SW New Hampshire to Boston regularly. Google maps likes to put me through Nashua NH, where I'm forced to run a gauntlet of 18 traffic lights, where most of them seem synchronized to stop me at every one. It's a thoroughly unpleasant experience. The alternative is to go south to MA route 2, a much more pleasant routing that usually takes less time too. Even when I select my preferred route, google maps often tries to guide me back to its preferred route. I ignore those directions, and eventually it settles on the route I like.
Google maps does this to me, too

Old 12-15-2020, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
You're pretty much looking at I-95. The traffic is unavoidable, especially the last week of December. Other routes may have less traffic, but they're so far out of the way that you end up with a longer trip. So you have to decide which is more important: fastest OR least traffic. You can't have both.

My advice would be to try to get from NYC to Richmond, VA during off peak hours. And by off peak, I mean the middle of the night.
I pick least traffic. Night driving isn’t possible

Old 02-18-2021, 05:53 PM

Thanks everyone for your help!

We are coming back now. Praying to miss all the weather
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel