Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 10:33 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojack891 View Post
Hey guys and gals looking for advice. I am about to start a trip from NYC NY to Fort Worth TX. I would really like to make this trip straight through or get at lest a couple hours from my destination. What tips and trick are y’all doing to get through and is it even possible to make a 23+Hr trip straight through.
Thanks in advance.

There is a reason why the federal government places time limits on PROFESSIONAL drivers. Driving 23 hours straight is completely unsafe. At some point in the trip you will fall asleep at the wheel and end up in a ditch or down an embankment. Or you will be dozing and miss the fact that the cars in front of you have come to a complete stop. Hopefully, you won't take anyone else out when you fall asleep.

"Team driving" is no better. I have never seen anyone actually drive six hours and then sleep six hours in a passenger car. Usually, it is you sleep and hour or two and then you are up. That also is unsafe. I still remember the three US Navy sailors who tried to team drive from San Diego to Norfolk. They make it to Texas before them rear ended a semi and were killed.

Yes, in the old days, you had truckers who tried to make it from Los Angeles to Chicago without a rest stop. Many of them were so high on the amphetamines they took to keep them awake for days on end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 11:17 AM

3,609 posts, read 7,921,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
One passage to adulthood is learning to stop and get a room rather than “driving straight through.”

Yeah. I won't do it so I don't have any ideas how to do it. Foolish and dangerous to try.

Old 01-06-2021, 11:21 AM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cojack891 View Post
Hey guys and gals looking for advice. I am about to start a trip from NYC NY to Fort Worth TX. I would really like to make this trip straight through or get at lest a couple hours from my destination. What tips and trick are y’all doing to get through and is it even possible to make a 23+Hr trip straight through.
Thanks in advance.
Great first post.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Cannonball runs can be a lot of fun but aren't any way to plan a move.
Especially when it's cold and rainy. Road Trip google map

Plan for several good spots to stop... to rest and to have a bit of fun too.
Cannonball only halfway across the map should take 13 hrs tops

Old 01-06-2021, 07:18 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,058,713 times
I've done 17 hours and I was a F****** disaster, I couldn't comprehend getting into Houston. Exits and stop lights didn't make sense, I'm lucky I didn't get in an accident. 12 hours is my limit, really try to keep it under 10 for sanity. Just hop a plane or take and extra day.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:45 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,934,485 times
No. Do not do it. Like others have said, others will be at risk as well as yourself. Falling asleep at the wheel is very, very dangerous and a common problem. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone, even an experienced road tripper.
I think the longest I've done solo was just over 15 hours. Left Atlanta at 5:30 am eastern. Arrived in Houston just after 730 pm central. The last couple of hours I was definitely tired. I don't think I've could have done another hour or two safely and I was used to the long drive.

Have you even done long trips before by yourself? I know some people who hate driving more than 5 hours and get tired easily.
If you were an experienced long distance driver, google maps shows Crossville, TN about halfway. I've stayed there before. Plenty of hotels. About 12 hours before stops going there and the same from there to Ft Worth. I could absolutely handle that but I almost think you need two nights if you're inexperienced.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:00 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
I did 20 hours once with myself and 5 dogs. 1100 miles, so I averaged 55mph including rest/gas stops. I couldn't stop and stay anywhere because I had my dogs so I had no choice. Given a choice I'd only do 12 hours max per day.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:09 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,278,346 times
If that is your Plan A, go to Plan B, because Plan A is dangerous and stupid.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:28 AM

5,451 posts, read 4,051,409 times
Age? Gender? Solo or with someone? What kind of vehicle? You can get some sleep in the car if you can put the seats back. I would avoid rest areas and instead park in the car park of a large travel plaza. People do it all the time. Not recommended if you are a single female.

You can always try the old truckers' trick of holding a $100 out the window. Tends to keep you awake (said tongue-in-cheek).

Old 01-07-2021, 01:34 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,186,208 times
Hubby and I make a yearly trip back to California from Wyoming straight through. It's 16 hours. Sometimes we take turns driving, sometimes just my husband drives it. It's not fun, but can be doable. 23 hours straight is just dangerous. You will get tired and could possibly fall asleep at the wheel.

Tips would be: bring snacks and drinks to munch on. Get some upbeat tunes playing on your radio. Don't let it get too warm in your vehicle, crack a window or put on cooler air to keep you alert. When you start to feel tired, stop at a rest stop or a Walmart parking lot and take a nap. Even 30 minutes of sleep will help your alertness.

The smartest thing to do is drive halfway and stop for the night, then finish up the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel