Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you USA Roadtrippers book hotels in advance? I don't mean RVers.
Yes, I book my hotels in advance and stick to a schedule. 26 33.77%
Kinda, I book some hotels in advance but don't want a strict schedule 25 32.47%
No, I will get a hotel when I get there so I am free to go anywhere anytime. 26 33.77%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2020, 03:53 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times

Advertisements

I like road trips. I usually book hotels in advance for the entire trip. I have had that backfire and had to cancel a bunch due to changes in plans.

I am curious how many people are like me and book entire trips in advance, and how many people just fly by the seat of their pants and just hope a hotel is available when they get to where they are going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:00 AM

9,996 posts, read 5,698,174 times
The wife and I prefer to make up our schedule as we go along, and the ability to map out hotels and book on the fly with a smart phone makes that a lot easier than in days past. The only benefit I see to booking ahead is possibly lower rates if you book far enough in advance, and maybe to avoid room supply shortages if there's some big event happening in one of your stopover cities/towns. Then again in the latter case you can always keep moving for another hour or so.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:39 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,070,744 times
Have always booked rooms in advance, to get that logistical detail out of the way. We plan clusters of day trip types relatively tightly, but leave room for serendipitous finds to. Otherwise, mostly stick to plan. The logistics part, getting there, being there, leaving there is the most tedious. We find on the fly adds an element of stress we are just not interested in.

Old 06-26-2020, 06:42 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,087,229 times
For just a road trip the wife and I usually book a couple hours in advance using kayak.com.
If it for a destination we always book advance.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,128,451 times
I seldom book ahead (except holiday weekends)
Road trips are all about the unknown adventure of meeting people and finding OTHER things to do / different routes than you had planned.
Thus booking ahead would ruin that option.

If I need a hotel. I use an Asia service (Agoda) (I rarely use hotels because I prefer private guest homes worldwide)

We spent one yr on a RTW and only spent 8 nights in hotels... (early airflights)

Some road trips I have taken a couple month 'detour', usually to help a farmer or family in distress.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:38 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,521,481 times
I like to stop at interstate rest areas and pickup hotel discount coupon books. Then I'll call ahead for availability of rooms.

That way, I know how far to go in one day's travel. And I always save $.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:51 AM

11,564 posts, read 6,041,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
I like to stop at interstate rest areas and pickup hotel discount coupon books. Then I'll call ahead for availability of rooms.

That way, I know how far to go in one day's travel. And I always save $.
Interesting. I have never thought to do that. You say it works.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:55 AM

130,537 posts, read 12,143,244 times
Far too stressful not to book in advance. I liek to find a hotel near whatever attraction we are going to. A few years ago we did a 10 day self guided rail tour of Switzerland, & I booked hotels within walking distance of the train stations, it worked out well for us.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,900,628 times
I always book in advance and know what and where I’ll be staying. Nothing worse than pulling into a community and finding out there’s no rooms available. Years ago before I retired the company booked a hotel/motel room for me while working out of town in a small remote area, after the first nights stay the manager asked if I had “other” accommodations if I was staying in town. The company I worked for had failed to book the required nights I would be there working and thus I had to scramble to get a room in another hotel/motel before the weekend.

I was lucky that the manager of the first hotel told me that I didn’t have more than the one night and that I best book something quickly as the weekend because the railroad crews would be back into the area and all the rooms in town would be full. I had to find another hotel in town that had a vacant room and relocate. You never know what can happen in some cities so planning ahead is important otherwise take a tent with you on the drive.

Old 06-26-2020, 12:17 PM

1,291 posts, read 177,604 times
For hotels along the way, while hubby is driving, I'll try to figure out where we'll end up at the end of the day. We belong to a couple loyalty plans with some common hotel chains and I'll try to use any specials those will give us, i.e., stay 3 nights get the 3rd free or at a discount, or whatever they're offering at the time. If that doesn't pan out, I'll try to use those hotel discount coupon books you pick up at the rest areas and see if that works for us. And I'll also check for any deals on hotels dot com and similar sites. At the same time, I'll look up reviews for any hotel I pick.

It takes a bit of time and searching on my smartphone while we're driving but I don't mind playing travel agent in order to get the best price. Never had a problem finding something. If it's a destination that is popular and it would be best to have something booked, I'll often book that ahead of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel