Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 11:28 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,700,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Elephant Seal Vista Point is a favorite stop for me. By the way, I should caution you there are no gas stations on long stretches of that route and you may lose your cellular signal, internet and radio because of the remoteness. That kind of freaked me out.

The scenery is gorgeous though.
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember the Seal Vista. Been wanting to find a place on the coast with seals!

I do have plans to make it as far north as Santa Maria from LA county but still looks like that is over an hour north of Santa Maria so probably won't be enough time in the day to enjoy it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2021, 01:28 PM

27,606 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'll remember the Seal Vista. Been wanting to find a place on the coast with seals!

I do have plans to make it as far north as Santa Maria from LA county but still looks like that is over an hour north of Santa Maria so probably won't be enough time in the day to enjoy it.
Have you considered taking the Coast Starlight train? I know someone who did that and said it was a good option.

It may not go to all the spots you want to see, but at least you won't have to deal with a rental car.

Old 03-19-2021, 04:55 PM

781 posts, read 744,909 times
I've driven that route from N to S and vice versa when I lived out there, both are nice. Any cheaper if you do it the opposite way?

Some of the coastal places that are cool to see on the drive from SF to San Diego (trying to put them in order):
Halfmoon Bay
Santa Cruz
Monterey/Carmel
Pismo Beach
Morro Bay
Santa Barbara
Santa Monica
Manhattan Beach
Redondo Beach
Carlsbad
Huntington Beach
La Jolla
Mission Beach

Have a great trip! Yes, I would also be careful about Highway 1 being open.

Old 03-19-2021, 11:45 PM

16,396 posts, read 30,310,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I didn't know that there is a shortage in rental cars. So strange!

What websites are you using when checking on rental car rates? I checked on some few weeks ago, and didn't see such increase. $850 a week for a car? What size?

BTW: according to Hertz:
When you need to pick up your rental car at one location and return to another, contact Hertz. Rental. Certain geographic, time, and other restrictions may apply. Competitive rates with no separate drop-off fees on most rentals.

[.

That was last week. Cincinnati - Tucson. This week, the rates are back down to $375.

For that trip, I have decided to drive from Tucson - Cincinnati round trip. What I have not determined is whether I am going to drive my personal car back to ohio or layout the $650 to rent a car for a month. My old beater is fully depreciated and will probably get better gas mileage than the rental.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Have you considered taking the Coast Starlight train? I know someone who did that and said it was a good option.

It may not go to all the spots you want to see, but at least you won't have to deal with a rental car.
Never knew about it but I do now! Thanks for advice. Something to think about later on down the road for sure.

Old 03-20-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiona8484 View Post
I've driven that route from N to S and vice versa when I lived out there, both are nice. Any cheaper if you do it the opposite way?

Some of the coastal places that are cool to see on the drive from SF to San Diego (trying to put them in order):
Halfmoon Bay
Santa Cruz
Monterey/Carmel
Pismo Beach
Morro Bay
Santa Barbara
Santa Monica
Manhattan Beach
Redondo Beach
Carlsbad
Huntington Beach
La Jolla
Mission Beach

Have a great trip! Yes, I would also be careful about Highway 1 being open.
Thanks I actually was going to ask about this.

Do you know any places from LA to SD that allow you to see Seals?

Old 03-22-2021, 09:50 AM

Does anybody know what type of insurance rental car companies sell that keeps you from getting stuck with a bill for things like a dent in the door, scratches etc..? I know my insurance covers that stuff but I'd rather just pay out a little bit of extra $ than avoid getting my own insurance company involved. Less headache.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:57 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,754 posts, read 58,140,793 times
Quote:
Does anybody know what type of insurance rental car companies sell that keeps you from getting stuck with a bill for things like a dent in the door, scratches etc..? I know my insurance covers that stuff but I'd rather just pay out a little bit of extra $ than avoid getting my own insurance company involved. Less headache.
Take out the rental company's comprehensive policy for physical (non-collision) related damages you mention. Buy the deductible you can sleep with.

100's / cars rented / yr for me for many yrs, and I have only bought their insurance ONCE (in Portugal, as required in that rental agreement). I have never had an incident or claim (lucky I guess). I do wonder how I have lucked out in SF area many times / yr, and not sure I will luck out much longer traveling there. Very high incidence of break-ins / rental car damage.

Keep EVERYTHING out of view and only park in well lit and patrolled areas.

Old 03-23-2021, 12:26 PM

27,606 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
I don't take on extra insurance on rental cars. I drive a little more carefully and hope for the best. A little bit of prayer might help too.

Fortunately, I have never had an incident. So, I am not familiar with how that process would work.

Old 03-24-2021, 03:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,852,215 times
It sounds like just a sight-seeing trip so you may want to look to see if the drop off charges are less, or even eliminated, if you do the drive in the opposite direction. Seasonal needs for inventory movement based on demand differences in different markets can work in favor of a renter who is flexible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel