Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:02 PM

67 posts, read 199,064 times

Advertisements

lots of places in Houston, Texas is pretty ugly.
Flat, lots of buildings all over the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM

Location: When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic
1,132 posts, read 2,104,899 times
Default New Jersey Turnpike is #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have never been on the New Jersey Turnpike, but is that the one they show in the credits of the beginning of the Sopranos?
Yes, indeed Tony pulling the ticket on the entrance to the NJT - one more vote for the ugliest road from the exit 12 Linden refinery (feel the smell, but we still got the cheapest gas in USA) , Newark airport and sea port, Eastern and Western split after exit 14 till the end exit 18 (Lincoln Tunnel to NYC or Route 3 to Giants Stadium) .

Old 05-27-2008, 10:32 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,352,683 times
Where are all the Michigan people? This thread is our chance to vote for the Seney stretch- 28 miles of absolutely straight, perfectly flat highway in the UP without a stoplight or blinker to break the monotony. And not much to look at along the side of the road either. Traveling at the speed limit, it feels like it a day and a half crammed into those thirty minutes. The UP could greatly increase its economic outlook if they could just figure out how to use the Seney stretch as a cure for insomnia. Better get the folks at Pfizer and Merck and Astra Zeneca working on that one. No harmful side effects, unless you happen to be the one the wheel!

Old 05-28-2008, 12:39 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
I-40 between Gallup, NM and Flagstaff, AZ. Ugh. Ugh. Ugh. I dread that stretch of road. And I-55 between Chicago and Springfield, IL is horrible, too. Nothing but cornfields and as flat as a tabletop.

Old 05-29-2008, 02:09 PM

52,691 posts, read 47,963,336 times
Right now, since we're talking solely about roads here, the worst that I've seen so far is I-40 just west of Downtown Oklahoma City. It has outlived its purpose, as the long, elevated bridge is falling apart, and is slated to be replaced by a new alignment just to the south of that location.

Old 06-03-2008, 03:36 PM

1,818 posts, read 1,529,014 times
I would vote for the NJ Turnpike too but also the freeways in TX are pretty bad in the cities. Do they have no standards? They never met a billboard they didn't like and their access road system is very ugly.
I would rather look at boring - like corn fields or desert or something natural then ugly factories, buildings or billboards.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:12 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I would have to say any where around Boston ;Mass.At the time I traveled thru there was only one decent highway and that was the interstate. Forget traveling i nthe cities becasue it has some very narrow cart paths paved over as streets . Want to park ;well there are no parking signs everywhere and all those places filled with cars parked half on the street and the other half on the sidewalk. Take the wrong road and you may end up going in a square patterned that is like a maze and end in the center.Don't ask directs from a local as they might shoot you the finger and or look like you might have assauted them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel