Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 10:59 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times

Advertisements

My biggest fear is landing at an Airport, even having my Vaccination card with me, they take my temperature upon arrival, and I'm running a higher temp, then what? My biggest fear is landing in quarantine once I arrive somewhere, and at 71YO, with COPD, is it worth the risk?

I recently watched a Youtube Walking tour of Amman, Jordan. That city has never so much has even touched my radar screen for potential travel, but as I watched it, I suddenly became desirous of going there.

Obviously, they must get a lot of tourism, as when I looked at Hotel.com, there's tons of hotels to stay in, even 5-stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 11:25 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
My biggest fear is landing at an Airport, even having my Vaccination card with me, they take my temperature upon arrival, and I'm running a higher temp, then what? My biggest fear is landing in quarantine once I arrive somewhere, and at 71YO, with COPD, is it worth the risk?
Depends on the country. I don't think many are basing entry decisions on temperature alone. With the prevalence of testing (even rapid tests), they're more likely to go by test results. If they don't have rapid tests, you may have to quarantine just long enough to get the results. But if you were to get somewhere and test positive, you would likely face a 10-14 day quarantine.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 PM

9,137 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I don't consider it a fear - but a justifiable sense of caution.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:44 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
As hertfordshire said, it depends on the country. As things are right now, I'd have no worries going to most of Europe, but Eastern Europe I'd leave to another year. Outside of Europe I can only think of Canada I'd go to now.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:50 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Many countries, along with being vaccinated, require that a Covid test be done 72-120 hours before travel in and a Covid test before leaving. In addition, having travel/evacuation insurance and/or proof of ability to pay should you become ill, is a common requirement.

I have no issues with any of these, or similar requirements.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:56 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
My fear is of being quarantined. I have no desire to spend a week in a hotel room. I am vaccinated, but that is not 100%.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:50 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Flying was already miserable and it is much worse now. The flying public is crazier than ever and I don't want to wear a mask for hours on end. Not something I would do unless there was no way around it.

There is risk of buying flight tickets and reserving lodging and then having borders closed before you get there and not getting refunds.

Seriously, OP, if you are worried about a fever, take a couple of aspirin an hour before landing. I am assuming that you would not try to fly when you are actually sick.

There are wonderful places to see inside the borders of the USA. Travel domestically and don't worry about how other countries are handling their quarantines.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:55 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Before this tempting video on Amman, me and my brother were planning on going to Mexico City for 3-4 days this late Fall, but he's been having problems getting a passport, so then I suggested San Juan, Puerto Rico (no passport necessary) and on the Hotel sites it states you must be vaccinated to stay there, and? My brother refuses to be vaccinated.

So it looks like he's going to get his passport (lots of delays I'm reading) and then If the hotels in Mexico City demand a vaccination card, then I'll just throw up my hands! I was just recently vaccinated myself.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:02 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

I recently watched a Youtube Walking tour of Amman, Jordan. That city has never so much has even touched my radar screen for potential travel, but as I watched it, I suddenly became desirous of going there.

Obviously, they must get a lot of tourism, as when I looked at Hotel.com, there's tons of hotels to stay in, even 5-stars.

Nope. Got vaccinated and went overseas. Traveled since.

If you aren't running fever before travel, why would you run one at the airport?

Buy travel insurance or make sure you can reschedule your ticket if such thing really happens.

BTW: traveled here and there since I got vaccinated and no one was checking my temperature.
However, it's possible when someone looks visibly sick.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:30 PM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
I haven't seen temperature checks in many months. Last year clinics and hospitals were doing screening using live people to ask questions. Now our clinic just has a sign that tells you to self-screen. So they've given up on that too. Probably just as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel