Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2022, 10:51 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times

Advertisements

I just don't like takeoff. That's the worst part for me. I have to fight not to think about the plane going down as soon as it gets up in the air.

On international flights, I also have to fight anxiety-inducing thoughts. I logically understand distances but it's jarring to me the gargantuan scope of ocean between the continents and how several hours in we're still flying over it and there is absolutely no escape or external assistance to be had if something were to go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2022, 06:12 AM

4,608 posts, read 3,302,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I just don't like takeoff. That's the worst part for me. I have to fight not to think about the plane going down as soon as it gets up in the air.
Takeoff is actually the easiest thing for a plane to do. If it gets to a certain speed, it almost cannot NOT get into the air because of the aerodynamics of the plane. The landing is the most tricky, and an old pilot friend of ours used to say no passengers ever worried about that one because they were usually too inebriated to care!

Old 03-12-2022, 08:51 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
I hate flying. I take either 20mgs of Percocet or 60mg of Oxycontin and several glasses of wine to calm me down. Even sometimes that doesn't work with good turbulence. I also fly only first class as well to break up the flight with meal service, etc.

My tolerance of pills is crazy high.

It's funny because my mom was a flight attendant for many years and never once had an issue.

I too have asked people next to me if I can hold onto them during take off. That's my most freaked out part. The rest-I just do a white knuckle death grip LOL

Old 03-13-2022, 07:54 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:

On international flights, I also have to fight anxiety-inducing thoughts. I logically understand distances but it's jarring to me the gargantuan scope of ocean between the continents and how several hours in we're still flying over it and there is absolutely no escape or external assistance to be had if something were to go wrong.
For what it's worth, pretty much any plane you're going to be flying across the ocean is certified for ETOPS 180, meaning that the flight path is always within no more than three hours (180 minutes) flying time from a suitable diversion airport, in the event that one of the engines conks out. ETOPS stands for Extended-range Twin-engine Operations Performance Standards. Or, much more colloquially, Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim.

Old 03-14-2022, 08:10 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
For what it's worth, pretty much any plane you're going to be flying across the ocean is certified for ETOPS 180, meaning that the flight path is always within no more than three hours (180 minutes) flying time from a suitable diversion airport, in the event that one of the engines conks out. ETOPS stands for Extended-range Twin-engine Operations Performance Standards. Or, much more colloquially, Engines Turn Or Passengers Swim.
This was actually reassuring to read.

Old 03-14-2022, 09:27 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,635,195 times
Quote:
This was actually reassuring to read.
I'm glad. You're right, the oceans are huge, and it really does feel like you're out there all alone when you're on a trans-oceanic flight. But you're not. The flight path that your plane is following is occupied by many other planes, sometimes to the extent that the pilots of one can see another one up ahead. Air traffic control is monitoring your plane's every move and they are in regular contact with your flight crew. They've got diversion airports mapped out and ready if you need them. And way down below, plenty of cargo ships are plying the waters, any one of which would respond immediately to a call for assistance. It's really quite amazing, the system they've set up for safe travel by air.

Old 03-18-2022, 12:41 AM

631 posts, read 298,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layden85 View Post
I know it’s the safest method but I can’t handle knowing I have no control. Once we take off I’m a mess. Any turbulence I’m freaking out and I’ve flown many times. It’s going to be harder with a mask. Is anyone completely calm when flying?
It's normal to be a little nervous. I always say a little prayer before takeoff just cause we're about to do something humans were not meant to do, fly 500 miles an hour through the air and live to tell about it. But it's also fun for me. I like the speed and velocity of taking off. I don't like turbulence. I once experienced very bad turbulence and almost hit my head on the upper compartment. I think even the lights were shutoff--it was terrifying. You lose all control of your body. If not for seatbelts, passengers would be thrown about the cabin and seriously injured. Thankfully, the plane came out of it.

Old 03-18-2022, 04:41 PM

22,331 posts, read 29,439,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
It's normal to be a little nervous. I always say a little prayer before takeoff just cause we're about to do something humans were not meant to do, fly 500 miles an hour through the air and live to tell about it. But it's also fun for me. I like the speed and velocity of taking off. I don't like turbulence. I once experienced very bad turbulence and almost hit my head on the upper compartment. I think even the lights were shutoff--it was terrifying. You lose all control of your body. If not for seatbelts, passengers would be thrown about the cabin and seriously injured. Thankfully, the plane came out of it.
OMG I'd be that blonde lady on Airplane that everyone has a turn at after that LOL

Old 03-18-2022, 05:09 PM

9,460 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MercedesBoy View Post
On that flight into Jackson Hole WY, in between lightning storms - on either side of the aircraft - we were buckin' like mad. I mean, jarring up and down in the seat, back and forth. God, it was awful. I was actually moaning out loud, I was terrified. My husband was stone faced but I know he was terrified, too. There weren't many people on the flight at all, and when I looked back, one of the FAs was sitting with her feet up on the seatback in front of her playing on her phone!!! LOL.

Old 03-19-2022, 04:32 PM

8,181 posts, read 2,793,632 times
The only thing that gives me anxiety is some power hungry FA getting into a hissy fit over having my mask off for more than 3 seconds after you take a drink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel