Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2023, 09:53 AM

17 posts, read 13,604 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone has good/bad suggestions to help me plan to trip to Washington DC. Live in NC and thinking of taking the train to DC then stay in a hotel that is within walking distance to subway. Goal is to see/visit the many museums, Arlington, etc. Don't want to break the bank (as everyone else).

Thanks,
Patsy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2023, 12:42 PM

30,628 posts, read 18,209,295 times
I've stayed in a number of hotels in Woodley Park and Dupont Circle and am partial to that general area personally. The Marriott I stayed at several times in Woodley Park is closed now (sold to some developer), but I recommend any 4 star hotel in the area. Note, I don't recommend staying downtown closest to the Capitol, White House, etc., if you're a night owl and want some late night food experiences. Too many places in this immediate area close down at the close of the regular business day.

Old 05-13-2023, 01:47 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YodaRules View Post
Goal is to see/visit the many museums, Arlington, etc. Don't want to break the bank (as everyone else)
Your answer to somewhere cheaper might be in your question... stay in Arlington instead of DC.

You could stay somewhere like Holiday Inn Ballston, there are tons of restaurants/bars around there and you can just hope on the metro at Ballston MU to take either Silver or Orange line right into downtown DC. There is a Comfort Inn in that area that is even cheaper, although it is now commonly referred to as the Insurrection Inn due to events related to January 6.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:38 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
(Used to be) a very cheap, big motel in La Plata MD, on a commmuter train route.

Old 05-15-2023, 10:11 AM

987 posts, read 1,016,941 times
We stayed at the St. Gregory Hotel recently and loved it. Convenient for Metro access, etc. See
https://www.stgregoryhotelwdc.com/

Old 05-15-2023, 10:22 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,072,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
(Used to be) a very cheap, big motel in La Plata MD, on a commmuter train route.
arr430, you're obviously confused - how bizarre. I've lived in La Plata, MD since 2007 and we have never had a commuter train any closer than 20 miles from here. And our commuter bus to D.C. is agonizingly slow and tiresome.

Patsy, if you're riding Amtrak from the South, I recommend you get off at Alexandria station. It's a small station that's much easier to maneuver in than the gigantic D.C. Union Station. There are 6 (Six) modern hotels, pretty much right across King Street. Google "King Street Alexandria Hotels." And the King Street metrorail station is literally right behind the Amtrak station and will take you directly to all the Museums and the Capitol in just one ride without transferring. https://www.wmata.com

For a different experience, you can also ride a free, continuous shuttle bus, one mile straight down King Street to the Alexandria waterfront and see the charming colonial "Old Town" Alexandria area with many restaurants, historic townhouses, and its "Torpedo Factory" arts center on the waterfront (3 stories of artists studios).

Last edited by slowlane3; 05-15-2023 at 10:50 AM..

Old 05-15-2023, 10:27 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,571,216 times
Imagine that!

Old 05-15-2023, 11:07 AM

2,036 posts, read 1,603,050 times
It’s been years since I was there, but Crystal City near Arlington was right on the subway line for metro DC. There were many hotels nearby(Hyatt, plus others), and the Crystal City underground mall.

Old 05-15-2023, 12:07 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,189,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Your answer to somewhere cheaper might be in your question... stay in Arlington instead of DC.

You could stay somewhere like Holiday Inn Ballston, there are tons of restaurants/bars around there and you can just hope on the metro at Ballston MU to take either Silver or Orange line right into downtown DC. There is a Comfort Inn in that area that is even cheaper, although it is now commonly referred to as the Insurrection Inn due to events related to January 6.
Crystal city too - a lot of hotels and restaurants in proximity to a subway,

Just saw Crystal City recommended - second that

Old 05-15-2023, 01:10 PM

27,196 posts, read 43,886,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

I agree, great option with the Holiday Inn-Ballston. https://www.ihg.com/holidayinn/hotel...I-_-US-_-WASFX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel