Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 05:27 PM

537 posts, read 449,874 times

Advertisements

I prefer to drive my own car rather than fly on a commercial airplane. If I had the money I would learn to fly and buy my own airplane. Greyhound or Amtrak seem more luxurious than going to an airport and getting "felt-up" by TSA then waiting to board only to get stuck on a runway waiting to take-off or after landing getting stuck waiting for a gate to open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 07:19 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by widespreadfan View Post
... Greyhound or Amtrak seem more luxurious than going to an airport and getting "felt-up" by ....
Let us know how that works out for you.

My last Greyhound trip had plenty of passengers on weekend leave from jail, or skipping bail. .
I have had coats and bags stolen while on Greyhound. Those 'smoke breaks' out in the middle of the desert heat between towns are a lot of fun. It's all part of the adventure, so have fun. (And beware of cannibalistic axe murderers) The guy in Canada who beheaded and ate his Greyhound seatmate has been released from prison.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
I'm not buying a ticket to a nicotine fit.

They discontinued the smoking area on planes (that was bad enuff - no way they couldn't isolate that seating, and nobody was falling dead in the aisles all those years anyway). That was bad enuff. BUT now you can't smoke in a terminal either? Forget them. They'll never sell me another ticket.

I won't get into the cockamamie myth of this 2nd hand smoke baloney...NO, it's the principle. I'm not gonna let some kiddie I never met tell me what personal habit I'm going to have to give up. I'm from back in the so-called "jet set" days. We had good meals, friendly stewardesses, a smoking section (that was always booked 100% even on a flight only 40% booked). And nobody complaining. The cocktail lounges (where you could light up) were a great place to meet people and actually enjoy a layover.

And, of course, I haven't even mentioned the bossy goons and crappy staff you have to put up with. I'm sure others will cover that. Airline flights have become a Greyhound Bus experience - that's on a good day.

Today - if I can't drive there, I don't go.

If you cannot control your nicotine addiction for a few hours then you are better off driving or being at home.

Second hand smoke does cause lung disease, and rarely cancer, if exposed for a long time. Like the flight attendants and children of smokers at home. And there is no way they can divide the metal tube called aircraft into two sections so that smoke from one does not drift into another.

And some terminals like ATL that had enclosed glass rooms for smokers - you can smell that 100 yards away while walking down the corridor. I had to hold my breath while passing it so that the smoke did not trigger my coughing.

The airlines and other passengers are not missing you.

Old 12-31-2022, 08:54 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
My last Greyhound trip had plenty of passengers on weekend leave from jail, or skipping bail. .
So various other passengers just shared with you that they were in the process of skipping bail?

Old 01-01-2023, 09:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bailey View Post
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
Your choice
One passenger won’t make any difference to any airline’s profit line

Old 01-01-2023, 03:52 PM

1,912 posts, read 1,128,571 times
Quote:
I love flying in an aircraft. Nothing relaxes me in quite the same way, BUT I refuse to fly anywhere with any commercial airlines PERIOD. The completely abusive manner in which we as passengers are treated at the airport before during and after boarding angers me. I will now only ride the train service (or drive) which offers a 100% better experience than the airline as well as the lovely view from my seat or the observation car(s). Food is better also. So it takes 5-6 hours from SF to LA by train and 3 hours min at the terminal for a 1 hour flight. Far less stress (IMO anyway.)
3 hours at the terminal for a one-hour flight?

Get TSA Pre-Check. I arrive at the airport one hour or less before a flight and am fine. (I fly one round trip per week and have never missed a flight, except once about 20 years ago when I was booked on an earlier flight than I thought.). And get CLEAR, which makes security lines even shorter; you’re at the conveyor belt literally one minute after arriving at the CLEAR checkpoint.

Have you not dealt with Amtrak’s boarding procedures: people are made to line up completely unnecessarily?

Also, the Amtrak app shows that it takes 9 hours 35 minutes at least (and up to 14 hours 11 minutes) for SF to LA (on January 28). Your statement that it takes 5-6 hours is false.

I have taken Amtrak long-distance trains enough in 2022 to be Select Plus but the Flexible Dining meals, variation in staff quality and run-down equipment (Viewliner 1 sleeping cars) is too much, and I’m shifting back to flying.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:15 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,202,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Second hand smoke isn't exactly harmless. That said, I'm willing to say it isn't exactly as scientific as the effects of long-term smoking are. One study showed that smoking bands cause less heart attacks and when the ban was lifted, the heat attack taste returned to pre-ban levels. Everyone tried copying the findings with an experienced in a different city, different country or entire countries. That said those ones found that often there was no link between a smoking ban in it if itself and heat attack rates largely because areas didn't report the previous trends of heat attack rates in the study.

I know with me, second hand smoke will get me sick. If airlines reinstituted smoking it allowed vaping, I would be out or hoping to find a carrier that is still banning smoking and vaping on board.

Stinky hair and clothes never hurt anyone, but there were ALWAYS those non-smokers who disdained smoking in their house or car, and back in the day, they just stayed home a lot - 70 effing years ago!

"Second hand smoke" is simply someone else in charge. Nothing more. Doubt that? Look at two things - 1) the timing; 2) the non-scientific (business) "statistics" specially employed to supposedly prove a hoax.

Old 01-01-2023, 05:31 PM

16,078 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
For some reason flying brings out the drama queen in people. OMG I had to line up, abuse!

I don't think this is drama queen stuff....
Exhibit A - window falls out of plane in flight.
Exhibit B - plane lands at the wrong airport
Exhibit C - airline asks passengers their weight and drains corresponding weight of fuel.
Exhibit D - Overbooking -- yank certain passengers off the flight
Exhibit E - plane taken out of service without notice
Exhibit F - food poisoning

None of that has to do with TSA, lines or costs.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:30 PM

3,378 posts, read 9,208,084 times
Quote:
I fly a lot for work and have status with two major airlines. I maintain lounge access with a credit card. While the airport isn't my first choice for a good time - I really don't mind it. Precheck or Clear to get through security quickly, head to the lounge for a drink and a meal, and then off to the gate. I don't check bags. I haven't had a cancelation in forever. Last week I was on Delta and the plane broke before takeoff. We taxied back to the gate and got another plane. Total delay was just over an hour. I don't like delays but Delta's recovery was quick and professional.

I am guessing my point of view comes from traveling frequently but it really isn't that bad.

Old 01-01-2023, 07:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Stinky hair and clothes never hurt anyone, but there were ALWAYS those non-smokers who disdained smoking in their house or car, and back in the day, they just stayed home a lot - 70 effing years ago!

"Second hand smoke" is simply someone else in charge. Nothing more. Doubt that? Look at two things - 1) the timing; 2) the non-scientific (business) "statistics" specially employed to supposedly prove a hoax.
Some background on the airline smoking ban for the curious-

https://csts.ua.edu/files/2022/09/Fl...n-the-Mine.pdf

https://csts.ua.edu/collections/airlines-and-smoking/

https://famri.org/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel