Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2023, 11:09 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,786 posts, read 58,271,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
It seems like the Frontier pass would be great for a retiree who has kids or grandkids on the other side of the country and has a free place to stay for another 3-7 days if they can’t get a flight home when they first wanted to.
With all the blackout dates, I wonder if you will ever even get a flight during the summer high loads. I can just imagine the 'time-on-hold' if you actually have to call to get a reservation, and are not a priority (Elite) member. I have let far more Frontier tickets go un-used, than I have actually flown them. (under current ownership, I used to fly them a lot in the 1980's as a different 'Frontier'. ) Usually it's a $20 'Bear Den' bargain fare that I end up needing to change or cancel (cheaper to forfeit than to change).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 10:00 AM

37,720 posts, read 46,165,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
That person is not alone though. We got back from a flight yesterday and our whole travel party has pretty much agreed we'll just drive from now on, even with the extra time and expense of hotel accomodations etc.

And we were only on a direct two hour flight. That's how bad it's getting.
I love driving too...but if I want to go overseas, I gotta fly.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:39 AM

5,260 posts, read 3,627,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I love driving too...but if I want to go overseas, I gotta fly.

Just do whatever you can to avoid London Heathrow for arrivals, transfers, etc... Besides the onerous fees their security & customs chaos are exasperating & exhausting, worse than anywhere else I've been through.

Old 02-14-2023, 08:54 PM

41,936 posts, read 37,067,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Just do whatever you can to avoid London Heathrow for arrivals, transfers, etc... Besides the onerous fees their security & customs chaos are exasperating & exhausting, worse than anywhere else I've been through.
Is this recent+? I had zero issues pre covid visiting a Wales and Scotland 5 - 8 years ago.

Old 02-15-2023, 08:20 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,903,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Is this recent+? I had zero issues pre covid visiting a Wales and Scotland 5 - 8 years ago.
You’re hit with a departure fee of somewhere around $150 or so depending on current exchange rates at LHR. It’s a competitive enough airport that you don’t notice it so much on cash tickets because airlines are willing to take slightly lower margins on a LHR route because of its importance to their route map as a whole and so cash tickets prices are often not too horrible into there. It becomes a lot more noticeable on an award ticket where you end up paying a total of $200 in assorted taxes and fees on your â€free’ plane ticket.

A lot of European airports have pretty high assorted departure taxes on long haul flights. If you want to see the breakdown of those taxes, search out a ticket on the ITA Matrix web site and it will give you a breaksdown of base fare and fees associated with that ticket.

Old 02-15-2023, 09:48 AM

5,260 posts, read 3,627,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Okay... got a minute?

I went through Heathrow twice last year March/May as a transit point to other destinations, 1 checked in bag. I'm an experienced air-traveler & willing to overlook occasional mishaps as part of a trip and don't express anger or impatience at airport employees who have to thanklessly deal with the public.

Leg #1: somebody at one of the several security/passport control checks apparently didn't take my face photo ( at least that is what I gleaned from eavesdropping on security personnel who weren't forthcoming on why my delay) so at the flight gate I was held up, as was the departing plane since my luggage had already beeen loaded on to it. I was standing outside the final security barrier for at least 25 minutes just being told "it will just be a few more minutes". Apparently they couldn't get in touch with someone who should've taken my pic for the security network - I had already gone through all the previous passport/security/customs stations that had taken more than 30 minutes iirc, without any problems. They were having problems getting hold of anyone in charge who could okay me & allow me, & the waiting plane, to depart.

Let me just add here that the security check points for carry-on items, wallets & belts etc, were absolutely mobbed & hundreds of passengers are herded into very long lines leading to a dozen or so rather slow moving bottlenecks. And this was in March, the off-season.

Back near my departure gate... I seem to recall at some point they told me they had taken my bag off the plane in case I couldn't board, this is after 20 minutes of waiting right next to the plane, ready to board. Someone finally showed up, looked at my passport & the security computer terminal & after 10 seconds handed back my passport, pointed to the plane gangway and said "Okay".

Leg #2 May 2022: during this massively crowded transit stop, while putting all my carry-ons, belt, wallet, laptop, etc., in the tray on the conveyer belt & going into the x-ray "bubble" - hands above my head, nothing in my pockets... they had to do it again, and a third time & then asked me to wait on the side. I was confused & also concerned about all my belongings on the conveyer belt surrounded by lots of people. But I was calm & polite, they talked to someone who came over who was obviously a superior officer who then approached me and asked "Do you have a problem raising your hands?"

This confused me & I merely said I did it 3 times. She ignored this, asked if I would mind a physical examination and said follow these officers. I asked if I could get my belonging off the belt & she said don't worry someone would take care of them. I went with 2 young uniforms to the end of the massive checkpoint area, the door to our room was locked. What followed was about a 20 minute comedy routine of these guys trying to find out who had the key to the room & then trying to contact him only to find he was on a break.

I was in transit between flights to get back to the US, I had assumed that 90 minutes between flights on the same airline would be fine. By the time the fellow came off his tea break & handed over the keys, I got a quick twice-over from the guards, nice guys really, and was let go about 2 minutes after we got into the room. They disappeared immediately but I couldn't remember which of the dozen or so mobbed security lines had my belongings. The previous situ had focused all my attention at the time, not what line I was in.

So I'm walking around by myself... remember - the security guys just vanished after the exam, I'm checking out each of the dozen or so checkpoint belt areas when I see my carry-on bag & lap-top just sitting in cartons at the end of a crowded queue. My wallet, passport, etc had been jammed into my carry-on at the beginning of what I thought would be just a quick, routine annoyance. But they had been sitting out in the open in cartons for over 30 minutes while hundreds if not thousands of people walked by to travel far away without any more security checks (like for stolen bags!)

So at this point I'm getting angry but not trying to create a situation, plus I only have 15 minutes to make my flight. While gathering my stuff, putting away my laptop I see the original officer who pulled me out & I said "You told me someone would look after carry-ons but it's been sitting out in the open for over 30 minutes."
She lied and said they "just put it out" with a weary voice. I left it at that to catch my connection.

As it turned out my connection was in a different terminal that I had the take the train link to and at that terminal it was way at the far end, I ended up running my 70yo self as fast & as much as I could. I had gotten up in Madrid at 3:30am to grab this flight with an strikingly low first-class trans-atlantic fare that I got with FF points. I missed the flight by 15 minutes, they booked me on a flight 3 hours later, not in first-class but business was more than fine.

And I paid the extra British fees/taxes that they charge for this ineptitude.

Lesson is: Heathrow has way too much transit/travel volume for the inadequate amount of security personnel employed & not enough carry-on/x-ray exam queues to handle the tens of thousands passing through their laborious process, even during off-season when the crush is less than summer.

Old 02-15-2023, 10:53 AM

6,846 posts, read 4,303,751 times
Heathrow's endless checkpoints are a nuisance. You've got to always allow for extra time there.

Old 02-15-2023, 11:02 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,903,327 times
2022 in general was the Summer of Travel Hell 2: European Boogaloo. After getting lucky with flight connections through 2021 and most of 2022, our luck finally ran out when Delta cancelled out flight home from Munich for crew scheduling reasons. On the up side, Delta followed EU 261 rules to the letter when I asked for the allowed compensation for the flight cancellation and we got reimbursed for a 400+ Euro walk up rate for one extra night at the Munich airport Hilton and a bunch of eCredits for future travel because that amount was higher than the 600 euros we could have asked for as delay compensation.

Old 02-15-2023, 04:06 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,216,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Stinky hair and clothes never hurt anyone

So I guess you won't mind if no one on board showers this month, or steps in dog$hit before boarding...

It's not about "hurt." Plenty of "polite" and "good mannered" and downright "classy" acts - do not cause HURT as an alternative. It's about caring - that so many OTHER people are bothered by it. Not just a few. Most.

It reeks. YOU as a smoker stink continuously, rather or not you've smoked yet today. If you did not bathe - I would tell you to back off just the same, because, indeed, to smell "offensive" is a description everyone understands.

This is mainly why flying bothers certain people - because it involves caring about someone else for a change. People seem to hate doing that.

Well, yeah. The fat smellies are another deterrent. Flights today are like a Greyhound bus was considered years back. I put effort into my eventual ability to afford better than a Greyhound bus trip.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,609,982 times
Heathrow is one of the few airports where having three hours for a international transfer still makes me a bit nervous, especially if it involves that long-ass bus ride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel