Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2024, 07:41 AM

88,696 posts, read 85,065,285 times

Advertisements

I haven't beyond short trips but I hope to do so.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:37 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,812,117 times
what i've experienced many times is that people are simply terrified to be traveling alone. Another reaction I get sometimes when I am on a group tour and someone discovers I am alone is a look of feeling sorry for me that I have no-one to keep me company - which can be uncomfortable since I am enjoying myself.

I have even had some people ask me why I couldn't find anyone to come with me, then adding "Oh my gosh I could never come alone, you're pretty courageous" which are really silly remarks and hope people just avoided making them. Nowadays I just hear it from one ear and let it go through the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2024, 11:29 AM

6,184 posts, read 3,402,698 times
I absolutely love traveling solo. It’s so much better than going with friends, and sometimes even better than going with a significant other.

The reason being is that you can control 100% of the agenda, you control what you do and when you do it.

You are under no obligation to anyone else, so if you aren’t feeling like doing something, you don’t have to do it.

You also don’t have to talk anyone into doing something, you just go do it.

Also, if you want to do something and it turns out to be crap, you don’t have to apologize to anyone for it being crap, you just write it off.

I fully understand there are many countries where females should not travel alone, but if you are a male, you don’t have to worry about it.

Lastly, as far as being lonely while traveling, I’ve never had that problem. I always seem to meet people on my outings. Plenty of conversations and always someone available to take your picture at the site.

Old 01-13-2024, 11:39 AM

1,895 posts, read 2,541,143 times
I've taken a few solo vacations over the years but nothing over a week or so. I don't think I could do it on a regular basis, but I have enjoyed the times I did go. Another thing is that I live alone and don't have a spouse or kids so while going solo might be something different or an escape for someone with kids or spouse, for me it's just an extension of more of the same which is probably why I don't do it more often.

Old 01-14-2024, 06:14 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,712,497 times
I like taking my trips in the fall, my Wife comes when she can but I will travel solo with no problem. I will go for a few days here or there. My favorite spot is the Berkshires in Mass . Spent alot O time there as a child and I find just going there and "hanging out" seems to re-charge me. I have found I don't always need to be doing something to enjoy where I am.

Old 01-14-2024, 07:17 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

I enjoy the solitude and don't need to look for a friend in a national park. Solitude is restorative and healthy.
Agree! I took my first solo trip by accident many years ago. A friend cancelled on me a week before we were suppose to leave. I decided to go on my own, best decision ever. From then on--solo travel was it for me!

I agree solitude is restorative and healthy. I feel like it is a reboot for my life. I just wander around places, take in the scenery, people watch, do what I want when I want!

I hope you do a trip report!

Old 01-14-2024, 07:26 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,404,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post

I have even had some people ask me why I couldn't find anyone to come with me, then adding "Oh my gosh I could never come alone, you're pretty courageous" which are really silly remarks and hope people just avoided making them. Nowadays I just hear it from one ear and let it go through the other.
^ I can relate to that. I also get all the time: "doesn't your husband like to travel?". I either respond: "He doesn't like to travel or we have been married over 41 years and he will enjoy the solitude at home".

I really don't like having to explain myself.

Old 01-14-2024, 08:06 AM

51 posts, read 27,289 times
I've traveled a lot with my husband in the past, but now that he has passed away, I'm slow and cautious about getting back in to traveling.

I've taken one cruise alone, and have another cruise scheduled and now a tour group trip to England booked.

The cruise on my own was fun and I didn't feel lonely at all. I did get those questions from others about why I'm traveling alone, and one older couple seemed like they were trying to babysit me...to the point that I had to start trying to avoid them.

Solo travel has all the advantages mentioned above plus no worries about choosing more or less expensive meals and activities. All the choices are yours!

At age 63, I think a driving trip on my own would be a hit worrisome. I need to build up some courage before I try that.

Old 01-14-2024, 03:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 10,689,515 times
I've done some solo traveling. The kind I like to do the best is long drives without a particular destination in mind. I love long drives, but my wife (like most people) doesn't really care for it. She's put up with it sometimes, but she's just as happy to stay home and let me go off on my own. It's much more freeing, doing it solo. I drive as much as I want, wherever I want, listen to whatever music I want, stop when and where I want, and I don't have to worry about anyone complaining about being bored or tired or hungry or whatever.

All that said, I also enjoy traveling with my wife and kids, especially if we're NOT doing a road trip. And there are certainly times when having a companion comes in very handy. Last summer, while on vacation, my wife slipped and fell, breaking her elbow. The fact that I was there to help and handle logistics and stuff like that made things much, much better than it would have been if she had been alone. (The reverse is true is well, which is something that floats in the back of my mind when I travel solo. But so far I haven't had any accidents while traveling, knock on wood.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel