Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2024, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 5,125 times

Advertisements

a big city for example London
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 07:13 PM

382 posts, read 364,834 times
NYC = too expensive
San Diego = too expensive
Vancouver Canada = Too expensive

Old 01-13-2024, 01:13 AM

2,070 posts, read 2,381,688 times
Southwestern Colorado and most mountain resort towns out west - too much snow

Old 01-13-2024, 08:50 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
NYC. The city that raised me and where my legal residency still is (I'm a NYS resident and AD military but haven't lived there for years). Too expensive and I don't like the cold.

New Orleans. There is a certain charm about the city that I love and I lived there for a few years, but I wouldn't live there again. Don't like the crime.

Old 01-13-2024, 09:34 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
We live 30 minutes from midtown manhattan

Last time we went to manhattan was 4 years ago

We have to take the Long Island rail road in from where we are in queens

There just has been nothing compelling enough for us to go in since we saw the eagles right before COVID at Madison square garden

We do things mostly locally or Long Island where I just drive

Old 01-13-2024, 09:40 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
my hometown of Los Angeles, California - could not afford to live there long term.

NYC - love the city but again too expensive and not a place I would live, I like more natural surroundings for my permanent abode

London - amazing city, too expensive to actually live there

Old 01-13-2024, 09:51 AM

106,573 posts, read 108,713,667 times
i would love to live in manhattan up by central park but way beyond our retirement budget .

but it’s the hassle to travel there if you don’t live in manhattan that has us choose to go elsewhere to do stuff .

if one can afford to live in manhattan it’s fabulous

Old 01-13-2024, 03:12 PM

119 posts, read 58,825 times
New Orleans
Charleston, SC

Old 01-13-2024, 05:17 PM

22,448 posts, read 11,972,828 times
Puerto Rico. I'm half PR. My Dad was born there but raised in NYC. My parents started taking yearly February vacations in PR starting when I was seven years old. Our maternal grandmother would watch us. The first vacation they took there had them longing to live there, even though my Dad's relatives kept warning them about the difficulties of life as a resident. He got a job transfer there right before I started by junior year of HS. By then, they had taken us kids on a vacation to PR and it wasn't hard to fall in love with the place when you're visiting in February.

We moved there and due to him working for the Feds, we got to go to school on a military base. Those 2 years of HS were the best school years of my life. If day-to-day life there wasn't so difficult, I would have stayed there after HS. Even as a kid, I could tell that job opportunities were scarce and I never did get fully fluent in Spanish.

This is the time of year when I find myself longing to live there, despite its problems.

New York City. We used to visit NYC once a year and avail ourselves of the many things to do there---seeing plays both on and off Broadway, visiting museums, trying new restaurants or places for dessert. We haven't visited in 4 years first due to the pandemic, second to negative changes that lead to rampant crime. I miss our yearly visits and hope that at some point things start changing for the better.

Old 01-13-2024, 05:28 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
First choice would be Bermuda. Not affordable.

In Europe, Bruges or London. I lived in London when it was affordable, but not sure I could now afford to live comfortably in either place.

In America, Charleston SC, on the Battery. I know I can't afford that. Could likely afford to live a few blocks off the Battery, but not willing to spend that much money on a home.

That leaves Melbourne, Australia, but would be too far from family.

Reckon I will stay where I am. Traveling to any or all of those places is easier and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel