Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Flight Charges a multiple of almost four times advertised fares:
Fraud 5 23.81%
Bait and Switch 8 38.10%
Acceptable business practices 5 23.81%
Other opinions, share and post away 3 14.29%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 10:15 AM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
When I reached the point of checkout, the fare was $246 for two people. What your math doesn't show is a $55 technology charge (or $110 for two) which is an add-on. In theory you can avoid it by paying at the airport, but HPN's service launches of May 3. By itself it almost equals the fare.

See above; some are pure junk fees.
jbgusa, I feel your frustration and this stopped me from booking on Spirit Airlines years ago, though in my case the increases on Spirit back then made the ultimate flight be more expensive than some other more traditional options so it really was a no brainer for me. It is one thing to advertise a low fare and then have optional add-on options that will increase the overall price of a ticket if selected. It's a completely different thing to advertise a low fare and then have mandatory charges that substantially increase the price of the initial advertised fare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
Using the link you provided I could flnd flights HPN to RDU and return, leaving on 5/10 and returning on 5/13 for $59 per person each segment for a total of $236 for two people. That's CHEAPER than what you say was advertised.

Add a checked bag, a carry on, and an assigned extra legroom seat and the total would be $500.

These prices are for DIRECT, non-stop, 1 hour 40 minute flight time.

The cheapest same-day flights on American Airlines with a carry on bag included and seats with average legroom were $252 each or $504 for a couple.

This price is for a one-stop flight with total flight time of about 4 hours each direction.

A quick Google seach shows drive time to be about 8 hours.

It's great to have choices.
I agree with you. While I dislike the bait and switch tactics employed by some of these airlines, I am also thinking about my bottom line. Even with the added fees, I want to know if the price of a ticket is going to be less than a traditional airliner chargers as that will also factor heavily into my decision of which company to go with. Case in point, we just booked two roundtrip, nonstop tickets on Jetstar from HNL to Sydney in late July. The advertised price of $243 per person (now $552 per person just 18 hours later) increased to just under $300 per person once we were finished with optional add-ons (seat selection, added weight allowance for carry-on bags, etc.), which was $650 per person cheaper than the next lowest advertised nonstop on Qantas, and $1,100 per person cheaper than the final advertised nonstop flight on Hawaiian Airlines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 01:44 PM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Breeze, Spirit, and Frontier advertise very low fares. However, they don't even include carrying one bag in the overhead compartment. All you get is a personal item and nothing more. They apparently can do all this, but yeah it does seem dishonest.
Is it?

I call them "a la carte" airlines.

You pay for what you want vs everyone having to pitch in for your carry on when not everyone will have a carry on.

"A la carte" airlines"--it is an interesting business model. I see where people think it is shady.

FYI--I would never pick an "a la carte" airline to fly on, their business model does not fit me for what I need.

Last edited by GiGi603; 03-09-2024 at 02:06 PM..

Old 03-09-2024, 06:21 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Is it?

I call them "a la carte" airlines.

You pay for what you want vs everyone having to pitch in for your carry on when not everyone will have a carry on.

"A la carte" airlines"--it is an interesting business model. I see where people think it is shady.

FYI--I would never pick an "a la carte" airline to fly on, their business model does not fit me for what I need.
Bottom line, you have to sit, and you have to buy online unless you drive 100's of miles to another airport, since HPN's service does not start for almost two months. So it's an add-on, not a free-market purchase.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:24 PM

1,225 posts, read 1,230,252 times
Yeah my dad got screwed by Spirit Airlines' hidden fees. He doesn't fly much (maybe 5-6x in his lifetime) and doesn't use the internet. He didn't really even know there were airlines that advertised pricing like this.

So the last time there was a funeral he called around and bought tix from Spirit. Then he got to the airport and had to pay for his bags. And his cane. And to have a paper boarding pass. And for priority boarding. And for in-flight water.

I don't really object to the fine print for online customers so long as it is shown somewhere before the credit card is charged. But we still live in a world where some people don't use the internet and in that case it is dishonest to quote a fare that doesn't actually include everything necessary to get on the plane and take off and stay alive until you land.

Old 03-09-2024, 09:33 PM

559 posts, read 279,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I agree with you. While I dislike the bait and switch tactics employed by some of these airlines, I am also thinking about my bottom line. Even with the added fees, I want to know if the price of a ticket is going to be less than a traditional airliner chargers as that will also factor heavily into my decision of which company to go with. Case in point, we just booked two roundtrip, nonstop tickets on Jetstar from HNL to Sydney in late July. The advertised price of $243 per person (now $552 per person just 18 hours later) increased to just under $300 per person once we were finished with optional add-ons (seat selection, added weight allowance for carry-on bags, etc.), which was $650 per person cheaper than the next lowest advertised nonstop on Qantas, and $1,100 per person cheaper than the final advertised nonstop flight on Hawaiian Airlines.
A great example of the pure value that these discounters can offer. That's 20 hours r/t flight time or about $15 per flight hour including a checked bag on a 787 flying between continents.

Quote:
Bottom line, you have to sit, and you have to buy online unless you drive 100's of miles to another airport, since HPN's service does not start for almost two months. So it's an add-on, not a free-market purchase.
In your OP, you quoted a $66 PP fare one way. That INCLUDED the technology fee. You WILL have a seat on the plane and as of this very moment adding a carry on will cost you $30 each way.

I acknowledged that it might be possible to avoid the tech fee if you book at the airport. I also included a link that describes how difficult that may be.

Old 03-10-2024, 04:50 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
I get that.

I am not a fan of these airlines, however I will defend them with their "a la carte" pricing.
I must say in my mind (to myself) a hundred times a day "reading is fundamental".
One must "read" the policies. It is all there in print.

If it seems too good to be true...

Old 03-10-2024, 03:37 PM

Quote:
A great example of the pure value that these discounters can offer. That's 20 hours r/t flight time or about $15 per flight hour including a checked bag on a 787 flying between continents.

In your OP, you quoted a $66 PP fare one way. That INCLUDED the technology fee. You WILL have a seat on the plane and as of this very moment adding a carry on will cost you $30 each way.

I acknowledged that it might be possible to avoid the tech fee if you book at the airport. I also included a link that describes how difficult that may be.
It did not include technology fee. I tried unsuccessfully to take a screen shot.

Old 03-10-2024, 04:53 PM

Quote:
It did not include technology fee. I tried unsuccessfully to take a screen shot.
Curious, this is from 5 minutes ago:

HPN to RDU - $57 on 5/10/24 - the "nice" price
RDU to HPN - $67 on 5/13/24 - the "nice" price

I copied this straight from the Breeze website:

Base Fare

$35.16
Trip Add-Ons

$0.00
Taxes and Carrier Fees
$88.84. (the $56 tech fee is part of this amount)
Total Amount

$124.00

----------------------------------------------------

Add $30 for ONE standard 22x14x9 carry one and you're looking at 124x2+30 = $278 for two people to fly to RDU on Mother's Day weekend and return. The flight times are about 90 minutes each way.

The least expensive flights on AA are $276 each person and you each get a carry on but AA chooses your seats for you. Flight times are roughly 4 hours and included a connecting flight at Reagan. So, AA is twice as expensive and the flights are twice as long.

It's a little over a 1000 mile r/t drive HPN RDU and that'll take at least 8 hours each way. Say your car gets 25 miles per gallon and gas is 3.50/gallon so the cost to drive is 1000/25*3.5 = $120 plus tolls plus wear and tear on your car. So it'll cost you about twice as much to fly on Breeze as it would to drive.

--------------------------------------------------

Breeze pricing appears to be dynamic so prices will fluctuate. If you wait to book until you are able to book at the airport ticket counter in the hopes of saving $56 x 2, prices may have increased.

Absolutely no way I'd drive 16+ hours if I could fly for less than $300.

Old 03-10-2024, 05:11 PM

I did it,
Base Fare

$77.76

Trip Add-Ons

$148.00

Taxes and Carrier Fees

$178.24

Total Amount
$404.00

Applied BreezePoints
$

Total Due
$

or from $43/mo

Total
Better but not much. Still the technology fee.

Quote:
Curious, this is from 5 minutes ago:

HPN to RDU - $57 on 5/10/24 - the "nice" price
RDU to HPN - $67 on 5/13/24 - the "nice" price

I copied this straight from the Breeze website:

Base Fare

$35.16
Trip Add-Ons

$0.00
Taxes and Carrier Fees
$88.84. (the $56 tech fee is part of this amount)
Total Amount

$124.00

----------------------------------------------------

Add $30 for ONE standard 22x14x9 carry one and you're looking at 124x2+30 = $278 for two people to fly to RDU on Mother's Day weekend and return. The flight times are about 90 minutes each way.

The least expensive flights on AA are $276 each person and you each get a carry on but AA chooses your seats for you. Flight times are roughly 4 hours and included a connecting flight at Reagan. So, AA is twice as expensive and the flights are twice as long.

It's a little over a 1000 mile r/t drive HPN RDU and that'll take at least 8 hours each way. Say your car gets 25 miles per gallon and gas is 3.50/gallon so the cost to drive is 1000/25*3.5 = $120 plus tolls plus wear and tear on your car. So it'll cost you about twice as much to fly on Breeze as it would to drive.

--------------------------------------------------

Breeze pricing appears to be dynamic so prices will fluctuate. If you wait to book until you are able to book at the airport ticket counter in the hopes of saving $56 x 2, prices may have increased.

Absolutely no way I'd drive 16+ hours if I could fly for less than $300.

Old 03-10-2024, 06:31 PM

Quote:
I did it,
Base Fare

$77.76

Trip Add-Ons

$148.00

Taxes and Carrier Fees

$178.24

Total Amount
$404.00

Applied BreezePoints
$

Total Due
$

or from $43/mo

Total
Better but not much. Still the technology fee.
I forgot to add carry on bag fee of $30 for the return trip. My total is now about $308. If you both need a bag the total would be around $308 +60 = $368. If you want checked bags instead of carry on, add on another $ $5 x 4 for a total of $388. We're pretty close.

Still $100 less than AA, the flight is a 90 minute non-stop, and you get to fly from your nearby airport.

Only you can decide if you want to fly a budget airline.

Whatever you choose, hope you have a wonderful weekend away.

Last edited by Gator Fan 79; 03-10-2024 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel