Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2008, 09:11 PM

11 posts, read 54,035 times

Advertisements

I live in San Diego and have just accepted a job in western Massachusetts. I will have to drive across the country in mid-July in order to get to MA by late July. I am going to San Francisco to pick up a friend who agreed to travel with me (yeah!), and we are driving from San Francisco to western Massachusetts (and after dropping off stuff, then to NYC for a fun weekend before my job starts and she flies back to CA).

I am alloting 8-9 days to drive this distance, and would like any advice offered about the quest (routes, how long, scenic stuff, quirky diners, etc.). I drove from MD to CA straight on I-80 when moving out here, and didnt stop alot to see the sights, so i would like to have more fun on this trip without spending too much money.

Recommendations??? (especially routes & length of drive). I am driving a Saturn Ion without towing anything, so i am not dealing with a uhaul or anything, just two fun chicas who find humor in anything.

Gracias!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Well, you have a few options.

Take 80 out of San Fran, and hit up northern nevada, see the Great Salt Lake, and then you can either take 15 north towards Yellowstone or continue 80 over to 25 and head down to Rocky mountain national park.

Either way, you will be taking 90 or 70 east after. with 90 you can see South Dakota which ahs many places like the badlands and Blacks hills. Plus stop in 1880 town and stop in Mitchell to eat some corn at the Corn Palace!

90 the takes you over to Chicago, and then along upper Indiana, Ohio and its follows along the lakes and takes you into NY where you can see some nice scenery and even stop at Niagra Falls.

with 70 it is not so exciting like 90. Pretty much boring in my opinion.

Now if you want to see the south end of the US. Just take 5 south and you can maybe swing by eastern cali to see some sites like Death Valley and Mojave. Then you can get on 40 and see things like the grand Canyon and southern utah which has some of the best scenery in the world. You still have the option of picking up 70 also and still seeing Rocky Mountain park.

Or you can keep on 40 and maybe take a tour through AZ and Texas and see things out there. But you would have to drop further south like to 20 or 10 to see things.

But with the days you gave, I would either suggest the 80 to 90 route or the 5 to 70 route through Utah.

But my choice for you would be the 80 to 90 route. great bang for the buck and time.

And yes, I have traveled 6 times back and forth across the US and have traveled all these routes.

Any questions just ask!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:55 AM

213 posts, read 823,335 times
I hate coming into this thread with no advice to offer you, but this sounds like such an awesome trip. I would give an arm and a leg if I had to to have a cross-country roadtrip with fun friends like that.

Old 06-30-2008, 12:33 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,106,676 times
I couldn't imagine taking this trip without spending most of a day in northern Arizona at the Grand Canyon. THE GRAND CANYON!!! How many opportunities will you have in your life to be there with time to gaze and roam??? The Grand Canyon. You will not believe your eyes... Yes!
Trip Advisor dot com tells all -- reports from real travelers:
Grand Canyon National Park Tourism - Grand Canyon National Park Vacation Reviews - Grand Canyon National Park Vacations - TripAdvisor

And in southern Utah you will not believe your eyes at Bryce Canyon and Zion National Park.
Here's the info from Trip Advisor:
Things to Do in Utah - Utah Attractions - TripAdvisor

Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM

25 posts, read 126,119 times
One of those massaging seat cushions would probably be very useful.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:22 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
Either get satellite radio or a fully loaded iPod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel