Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 08:24 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This can't be true. When was was booking my flight to London earlier this year, I booked 4 months in advance and got the worst fare since the fares started actually falling 2 months before the departure date and hit a low and then was constant till about 2 weeks before departure when they started skyrocketing. My guess is start out 2 months before departure and check consistently for 10 days, then buy after 10 days.

My point is that it doesn't pay to book too early.
Well it is. I worked as a travel agent for several years. While the airlines DO throw on "sales" (hahahaha) they do have different fare structures. Each fare only has an alloted amount of seats. Once those seats sell out then they go to the next level. It CAN pay to book early. When it comes to trying to guess if the airlines are going to put a certain flight on a certain date on sale is not even possible. If your stuck w/ a set date of travel and can not vary it can pay to book as early as possible if you watch the fares.

As for Expedia and other travel sites having higher fares than the airlines - they "give" these travel sites "x" number of seats to sell at certain fares. The airlines do NOT release ALL of their seats on every plane to all of the travel sites like those.

As for the poster that said someone elses computer - if you are doing it at the EXACT same time it IS possible that one got to the lower fare than the other computer. I've literally seen lower fares disappear in front of me by the time you push "purchase".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 09:57 AM

353 posts, read 1,149,431 times
Here you go.... ITA Software - Solving the Travel Industry's Most Complex Problems

Use "Search Airfares using QPX"

Enjoy...

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel