Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2008, 08:46 PM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times

Advertisements

Have many people decided they need to take a break from air travel. People that don't need to fly for necessity, such as business. Has the entire process and expense just become such a turn off, you need a break. I decided in June after the worst trip and service I have ever experienced, enough is enough for awhile. I will only fly if its an absolute necessity until things calm down with this industry. Truthfully with all the cost cutting by airlines, Im not completely sure some of the cost cutting is not with the maintenance of the aircraft. From my last trip and the many problems with both the aircraft and the flight itself, I have had enough for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 10:07 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,542,984 times
Hi Jimrob! We feel the same way; although we haven't had a need to fly for several years now, we will drive if it's anywhere as feasible as flying. We drove from Dayton, OH to Washington, D.C. two years ago for a teacher's convention my wife attended and will drive to South Carolina to see our nephew graduate from high school next June. As a former maintainer, I'm still confident that our nation's commercial air fleet is being properly maintained. I dislike the post 9/11 security hassles and the cutbacks in customer service that have turned flying from a pleasurable experience into one big hassle. We're also reluctant to share a terminal or aircraft with fellow passengers who seem to get shorter on manners and common courtesy every day...

Old 09-20-2008, 10:36 AM
JnR

1,709 posts, read 851,214 times
I have never been a big fan of flying, but if I have to I will. Hubby and I have taken a 'warm weather' vacation the past few years in January but this coming Jan I told him I really didn't want to fly anywhere. So, we are driving down to San Diego and boarding a cruise ship for an 8 night cruise to Mexico We shall see how we like it, never have done it before.

But, to answer the question about flying... yeah, I have zero interest right now, just seems like way way too much hassle

Old 09-20-2008, 02:15 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,003,437 times
I absolutely will NOT fly unless it's a dire emergency--and I've always loved to fly! This nickel and diming for luggage, aisle seats, window seats, legroom....ridiculous! And making you pay to bring luggage--who DOESN'T need luggage on a trip! Especially when the 400 lb woman taking up most of my seat weighs twice what both me and my luggage come close to!
Nope--it's too much hassle anymore!

Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 AM

9,538 posts, read 16,533,027 times
Thanks for the posts, and comments. The drive to San Diego and cruise sounds like fun. I know here in Portland alot of airlines are reducing thier schedules especially Alaska Airlines, so things must really be bad. Im sure alot more people than we know of just don't want to fly right now. Yeah a nice break from flying is in order.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:23 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,379,090 times
My husband flies once a month to California - sometimes twice a month. As I was planning our Thanksgiving vacation, he looked at me and said "please find something that we can drive to - I can't take anymore flying" to which I happily complied. My husband is the most patient and easy to please person I know, but air travel has really gotten to him. I fly only when I absolutely have to and this is from a person who has flown around the world several times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel