Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 08:10 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times

Advertisements

I am wondering who has been somewhere absolutely wonderful for a family vacation?

Somewhere that everyone can have fun, spend their time happily, relaxing or occupied by some activity, etc...

I was looking at the website for Smugglers Notch (which i believe in wiinter is a ski area) and they seem to have a lot of activities to offer. Now, it was VERY expensive and we didn't go (they didn't have our time available, and well, it was very expensive).

I do love Disney, yes, I get sucked up into the magic, but that is very commercial.

Has anyone been to any of the all inclusive resorts in the caribbean? Is it sandals or beaches (i think one is for families, the other one for couples, i have no idea which is which, but i suppose one leads to the other....)
I was wondering how those are, I know expensive as well but are they worth it? Sometimes it is worth paying that extra amount of money to ensure that you are going to enjoy it.

Where else is good to go, not necessarily all inclusive but family friendly?

What was your most successful and happiest family vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,361,144 times
The Belair in St. Maarten is very family friendly. The units are two bedrooms (small) and two baths with a nice veranda and a kitchen, dining area, and living room. Excellent beach and good restaurant on the premises. Also, Jody's is a small grocery/gift shop in the resort. It is located in walking distance of downtown Phillipsburg. SXM is noted for wonderful restaurants and many types of beaches, but Belair's beach is great. There are free floats and noodles for the family to use and plenty of chairs and umbrellas on the beach.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:25 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
Whitewater Rafting in West Virginia
i havent been there--but looks fun!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
We are really hoping to go to Williamsburg, VA this year. I think a week might even be too short of a time to see everything!

We like beach vacations and the Outer Banks in NC are wonderful.

A cruise would be really fun, most of them have activities for kids all day!

We go to Disney at least once a year though!

Dawn

Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
Myrtle Beach is a much nicer beach than the Outer Banks, IMO! Better sand, clearer water.... if you're looking for a beach type vacation.
Disney may be a big commercial enterprise, but they sure know how to entertain their visitors! We've LOVE it , and so do our kids!

Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,326,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We are really hoping to go to Williamsburg, VA this year. I think a week might even be too short of a time to see everything!

We like beach vacations and the Outer Banks in NC are wonderful.

A cruise would be really fun, most of them have activities for kids all day!

We go to Disney at least once a year though!

Dawn
We went to Williamsburg this summer with my 8 year old. A nice mix of history, "thrill" attractions, restaurants... One of the nicest week long vacations we have had. We'll go back.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:23 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,541,543 times
What are the ages of the family members? We've been vacationing with extended family including kids ages (now) 12-21 and 8 aunts and uncles and two sets of grandparents for several years and always have a good time. When they were small we went to the outer banks of NC. The kids were happy just digging in the sand and playing in the waves for hours. Our last vacations have been to the Grand Canyon, Manitou Springs Colorado, Hawaii and Maine. There are always games in the evening, hikes and walks during the day and some shopping.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:43 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,352,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
What are the ages of the family members? We've been vacationing with extended family including kids ages (now) 12-21 and 8 aunts and uncles and two sets of grandparents for several years and always have a good time. When they were small we went to the outer banks of NC. The kids were happy just digging in the sand and playing in the waves for hours. Our last vacations have been to the Grand Canyon, Manitou Springs Colorado, Hawaii and Maine. There are always games in the evening, hikes and walks during the day and some shopping.
I don't know where this came from, but I have been dreaming of visiting the outer banks of NC. Does anyone else think the Myrtle Beach area would be better as one poster? Because I have already been to Myrtle Beach and found it very, very busy and commercial. We live in Massachusetts so thats really too far to travel to go somewhere with millions of other people. I picture the outer banks as much quieter and unspoiled. Am I just dreaming or is that how it is there? And how much would I expect to pay to stay there a week (hotel accommodations only)

My kids are 3.5 and 7. I have a cousin now living in AZ which I hope to take advantage of to go to see the Grand Canyon.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM

2,358 posts, read 5,983,964 times
If you're looking for a place that's not all that commercialized, we LOVE Chincoteague on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. It's like going back 30 years in time. We rent a house for the week, take our dogs and kids, go fishing, go to the beach once or twice a day, take our bikes and ride along the wonderful trails there, birdwatch, go to the local ice cream places at night, and have a peaceful family vacation.

We often rent a house for the week whenever we go on vacation (we've done that in San Diego, Point Pelee Ontario, Wareham Massachusetts, Door County Wisconsin and Luray Virginia.) It's a great way to save a little money and have the freedom of having a kitchen available as well as the ability to take our dogs (in the pet friendly places.) Of course, it means I'm doing all the same stuff I do at home (cooking, cleaning, etc) but at least it's in a new location. When I REALLY want a break, we go on a cruise .

And that reminded me that San Diego was a GREAT place for a family vacation. There was TOO much to do there. We love animals and wildlife, so we spent DAYS at the zoo and the Wild Animal Park.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:52 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,496,859 times
i think the outerbanks are so much nicer than myrtle beach. much more peacful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel