Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times

Advertisements

I very much enjoyed Panama. It helps if you if you can speak Spanish, or know someone who can. If you want to buy something from a shop, for example, you have a little give and take. Otherwise you pay too much. The ocean on the Pacific side was like bathwater. You just have to explore. I visited the presidents house when I was there. I guess my hosts knew them or knew somebody who did. The only way to the residence was an elevator, which was guarded at the bottom at the outside, and when it opened at the top. Their daughter knew seven languages, but was modest about it. She said it was hard to keep it all in her head, without practice. I danced with her at a New Year's dance, but had had only memorized the steps minutes before, and had to concentrate on my feet. No way could I look at her or talk, so I was embarrassed. The police are soldiers called "gendarmes." We talked to one who said his rifle was made in Belgium; he was proud of it, and was very friendly to us.

I'm sure the politics have changed quite a bit since then -- different leadership. No more American bases, no more Canal Zone...

But it was really enjoyable. The only bad part was burning and peeling three times while there. I was there four weeks, but I did come back with a tan in January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM

926 posts, read 2,748,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Mountain biking in Moab and Arches National park was very cool. London after 9/11 for new years was also a blast. both solo...best wway to travel.
kudos for loving to travel solo- Im over it lol

Old 11-13-2008, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
I very much enjoyed Panama. It helps if you if you can speak Spanish, or know someone who can. If you want to buy something from a shop, for example, you have a little give and take. Otherwise you pay too much. The ocean on the Pacific side was like bathwater. You just have to explore. I visited the presidents house when I was there. I guess my hosts knew them or knew somebody who did. The only way to the residence was an elevator, which was guarded at the bottom at the outside, and when it opened at the top. Their daughter knew seven languages, but was modest about it. She said it was hard to keep it all in her head, without practice. I danced with her at a New Year's dance, but had had only memorized the steps minutes before, and had to concentrate on my feet. No way could I look at her or talk, so I was embarrassed. The police are soldiers called "gendarmes." We talked to one who said his rifle was made in Belgium; he was proud of it, and was very friendly to us.

I'm sure the politics have changed quite a bit since then -- different leadership. No more American bases, no more Canal Zone...

But it was really enjoyable. The only bad part was burning and peeling three times while there. I was there four weeks, but I did come back with a tan in January.
awesome!

Old 11-13-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I spent a week playing baseball in Cuba, that was amazing. Cuba is spectacular. Great art and architecture, endless nightlife, baseball everywhere and the most gorgeous women I've ever seen.

Other amazing travel destinations I've been to in no particular order:
Antwerp, Belgium - Food, dessert and beer (and diamonds if you're a lady or a coke dealer), that's all the city is about...best dessert/chocolate in Europe.
Como Lake, Florence, Rome and Naples, Italy - Italy is amazing, and you must go there before you die.
Zermatt or Lucerne, Switzerland - For scenery
Salzburg and Innsbruck, Austria - For scenery
Vienna, Austria - The cleaner, friendlier Paris
Budapest, Hungary
Prague, Czech Republic
Nuremburg, Munich, Hamburg and Stuttgart, Germany
Copenhagen, Denmark
Legoland, Denmark
Stockholm, Sweden
Dublin, Ireland - If you like to drink, even the cabbies will offer you a Guinness, it happened to me!
London, England
Amsterdam, Netherlands - Even if you don't like weed or hookers, it's like Venice with the canals, but cleaner, safer, cooler and it smells like marijuana instead of garbage. Plus, there are some amazing museums there.
St. Petersburg, Russia

That's Europe

In the US
Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
Lake Tahoe, CA/NV
Death Valley, CA
Santa Fe, NM
NYC and Washington, DC
Pebble Beach, CA
San Francisco Bay Area

And if you mention The Corn Palace, you have to mention Wall Drug!
WoW!

Old 11-17-2008, 01:16 PM

242 posts, read 1,187,202 times
Default What is the best vacation you have ever taken?

allforcats, are you a cat lover> me too saved so many in my area and when i moved to Maui. Well Disney World was not only my best vacation ever, I was in San Juan, Puerto Rico, the island of Kauai two times, the Big Island for free in Nov 1985 FREE TRIP, OAHU a few times, Montreal Canada , various places in NY state. Long Island, FLORIDA, OH I loved MARATHON KEY the Keys to Key West, San Diego, Californiah, Molokai and I got to feed some stray cats at the wharf, I was visiting my friend there and seen all the cats at the wharf, as I went there by the Ferry Boat, and got them this very large bag of dry cat food for them. I still have their photos I took. THe island of Bonaire, and Curacao, the Netherland Antilles, when I went there, they were filming the movie, SHARKS TREASURE I met Cornelle Wild and his young family and some actors. YEAP THOSE WERE THE GOOD OLE DAYS... Been through all the states going down to Florida and the ones going to San Diego, Californiah. New York City , too many times to count. Love the Adirondack mountains and the lakes up there. Been to all the Hawaiian Islands.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:04 PM

WoW!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinadavid84 View Post
My best vacation is Paris i enjoyed more and i went with my family we stayed there for 3 months its unforgettable vacation in my life...

visa requirements
three month vacation, niiiiiiiiice

Old 11-20-2008, 10:01 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,694,209 times
well, I am going on a cruise next week, I'm sure that will be tops on my list! behind Austalia and Iceland!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Describe your favorite vacation of all time.
I have two. When I was little my family would get together at my uncles estate in St Joe, MI. It was an 8 bedroom "farmhouse" and we'd go horseback riding, apple and peach picking and star gazing on the roof. I remember there was a chicken called Rambo that used to terrorize us because he'd chase us all around the farm lol. I milked my first cow when I was 10 years old too- pretty neat
The 2nd one was when I took a cruise to Mexico, one of the excursions I went on was to see some Mexican ruins and ATV'ing in the jungle! We came out completely muddy and covered in HUGE bug bites but it was soooo worth it

Old 11-20-2008, 12:23 PM

13 posts, read 58,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyguzman View Post
hmmmmmm... my most unforgettable vacation was when I was in Barcelona. The place is very great!
So I said when I first visited it; but then we took a Ferry to Mallorca. We stayed there 1 week, made a tour of the whole island.
When I first got there I searched for postcard and I found one saying "I have it all! I have it now!"; I thought "yeah! right!" ... by the time I had to leave nothing seemed more true than those words.
We left Mallorca in the evening, slept on the Ferry, ...when I woke up and saw Barcelona I almost hated it...because it meant we have left Mallorca for good.
So far, for me, nothing compares to Mallorca! (and that was 11 years ago). I really hope I'll have the chance to go back there, with my kids, one day.

Far behind, the second place is disputed between Barcelona and Lisbon.
And third would be Venice and the seside between Venice and Trieste.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:27 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Describe your favorite vacation of all time.
I have two. When I was little my family would get together at my uncles estate in St Joe, MI. It was an 8 bedroom "farmhouse" and we'd go horseback riding, apple and peach picking and star gazing on the roof. I remember there was a chicken called Rambo that used to terrorize us because he'd chase us all around the farm lol. I milked my first cow when I was 10 years old too- pretty neat
The 2nd one was when I took a cruise to Mexico, one of the excursions I went on was to see some Mexican ruins and ATV'ing in the jungle! We came out completely muddy and covered in HUGE bug bites but it was soooo worth it
One year I went on a cruise to Curacao. I was the first time I had visited what could be considered a "third world" environment and I loved it so much. The other trip would have been to Florida in 1998, we had lots of time and drove all around the state. I had never been to the Gulf side of the state before and I really, really liked it. I'd love to back one day, especially Ft. Myers and Sanibel Island.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel