Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 06:22 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,465,461 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to go to one! Has anybody ever been to one? If so, where? Can anybody recommend one?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:02 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,105,303 times
Here are some suggestions from City-Data contributors in Montana and Wyoming:
//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...n-montana.html

Old 11-09-2008, 03:55 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
We went to one in NYS about 100 years ago and stayed in one in Australia.
If you like the laid back atmosphere and the chance to ride, I'd highly recommend it.
In the one, it was run more like a resort.In Au there was much more pitching in .
Check places to see which type suits you best.

Old 11-09-2008, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Here are some suggestions from City-Data contributors in Montana and Wyoming:
//www.city-data.com/forum/monta...n-montana.html

Thanks so much! That "search" function is a great one. Shoulda' tried it.

There was a really fun link in there, I will now go visit the Montana forum.

Thanks again for your help allforcats!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Mermaid, you're very welcome. (PS - I did a long search, for dude, for ranch, and for cowboy. That was amazingly the only applicable thread.)

I'm originally a Manhattanite -- spent the first 30 years of my life in NYC, raised on old cowboy movies. Some years ago I chose to live in northwestern Montana for two years, and I must tell you that the "cowboy" terrain, sights, atmosphere, and to some extent people, in the midst of the Rocky Mountains, just made me giggle in delight every day!
Montana and Wyoming, maybe Texas much of which has much more heat and dryness, are probably the places I personally would want to spend time working on a dude ranch, just to know with delight for the rest of my life that I had lived, however briefly, in "real" cowboy country!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:48 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,152 times
We went to Wilderness Trails Ranch in Durango, CO 30 years ago. It seems to still be in business, and to have added a few more options. http://www.wildernesstrails.com/

We drove out, with a pop up camper behind and lots of nights in KOAs. Hit all the sites on the way, and had lots of family fights.

It was a memorable summer!

Old 11-09-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
Mermaid, you're very welcome. (PS - I did a long search, for dude, for ranch, and for cowboy. That was amazingly the only applicable thread.)

I'm originally a Manhattanite -- spent the first 30 years of my life in NYC, raised on old cowboy movies. Some years ago I chose to live in northwestern Montana for two years, and I must tell you that the "cowboy" terrain, sights, atmosphere, and to some extent people, in the midst of the Rocky Mountains, just made me giggle in delight every day!
Montana and Wyoming, maybe Texas much of which has much more heat and dryness, are probably the places I personally would want to spend time working on a dude ranch, just to know with delight for the rest of my life that I had lived, however briefly, in "real" cowboy country!
Allforcats, that's very cool. Those are all states I've never visited but are on my list! I would love to live the life of a "real" cowboy, however for only a short time. I love the mountains almost as much as I love the ocean. The scenery must be amazing in the Rockies, I've only seen it in print or video. I will start researching some of the places this week and let you know what I come up with. I'll need to find a "real" saloon for the DH, he's not a real horse kind of guy and doesn't even come close to resembling a cowboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastina View Post
We went to Wilderness Trails Ranch in Durango, CO 30 years ago. It seems to still be in business, and to have added a few more options. Wilderness Trails Ranch - Durango, Colorado

We drove out, with a pop up camper behind and lots of nights in KOAs. Hit all the sites on the way, and had lots of family fights.

It was a memorable summer!
Thank you for this link, wastina! Colorado! I think we'll be taking a longer than anticipated vacay in 09! Your post made me laugh, I remember towing a pop up when my kids were younger. Tight quarters in there, somebodys bound to be in the way! It's all good in the morning when you wake up out in the cool crisp fresh air. All is forgotten from the night before. Thx!

Old 11-09-2008, 11:47 PM

Another "cowboy" and drop-dead-mountains idea:
Jackson Hole, Wyoming, or someplace near there. The Grand Tetons y'know. Here's such an idea: I don't know it personally, but the L.A. Times seems to:
Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming's legendary dude ranch set - Travel - LATimes.com

If you want killer mountains to look at, you need to be in a valley looking UP at the mountains that are near you or fairly near you. Check out the photos that ranch websites provide to make sure the closeness and heights of the mountains are whatever make your heart sing...

And I can guarantee from experience that the small "cities" and the towns that abound in the mountain west will provide nice drinkin' holes for your hubby, but you'll probably need a vehicle to get you there from the ranch.

There are even a lot of dude ranches in Washington state and some in Oregon -- there you'd be near the Cascade Mountain Range (with Mt. Rainier, Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Baker, Mt. Adams, all of them so high that they are covered in snow all year) with agricultural and ranching lands abounding (that's my territory). Unfortunately, I can't personally recommend one as a working ranch is far more labor than I'm willing to do! However, Northwest Backroads is a highly-respected local (Seattle) program that's been going for years and years, which finds, researches, tries, and makes recommendations about interesting places in the Northwest. Here is a link to that program's recommendations for dude ranches in WA. If they recommend it, I would go without hesitation. You can always Google to get the ranches' own websites.
Best dude ranches | Great Escapes | Family Fun | KING5.com | News for Seattle, Washington (http://www.king5.com/greatescapes/2008/familyfun/stories/NW_050808ESC_best_dude_ranch.e0538da2.html - broken link)

Another thought: TripAdvisor.com. That's where I always plan trips and get travel ideas. It's the world's leading venue where travelers report their real experiences. I searched for "dude ranch" and this is the amazing page that came up. You have a teeny little bit of research to do!!
Search results: dude ranch - TripAdvisor

Old 11-10-2008, 04:09 AM

Nice job allforcats! Now I've got a ton of research to do! You're amazing, just a wealth of knowledge!

Oh, I am a member of Trip Advisor. It's a great site. They sent me a big ol' tricked out hat.

Thanks again! (tried to rep ya, it's too soon but I'll hit ya later)

Old 11-10-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Now I've got a ton of research to do!

I am a member of Trip Advisor. It's a great site. They sent me a big ol' tricked out hat.
Well golly, researching and selecting the puzzle pieces and putting them all together is half the fun, no?

I'm a TA member too (same ID) and I got the same tricked out hat! Small, nice world, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel