Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 03:25 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times

Advertisements

is 90 minutes-2 hours enough time to pick up a checked bag and rechecked them at Laguardia airport? or are bags sent ahead? I haven't traveled w/ checked bags in a long time (sadly I need to)

ETA: some more info:

coming into Terminal M, leaving out of Terminal B. the return trip is the reverse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 03:35 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
It's not about the specific airport or even the airline, but about the arrangements you make with the airline when you first check in.

When you check in your bag, they'll probably automatically ticket it on through to your destination -- unless you tell them not to, then you'll have to get it at baggage claim after your first flight.

Yeah, I'm with you: no checked bags!! But I did check one at the very end of a long multi-flight vacation recently, and I know this is how it happens. The checkin counter lady and I had a short conversation in which she asked me if I wanted to check the bag on through to my final destination. And that's how the bag went, and I never saw it when I changed planes.
P.S. The bag arrived just fine at my destination.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allforcats View Post
It's not about the specific airport or even the airline, but about the arrangements you make with the airline when you first check in.

When you check in your bag, they'll probably automatically ticket it on through to your destination -- unless you tell them not to, then you'll have to get it at baggage claim after your first flight.

Yeah, I'm with you: no checked bags!! But I did check one at the very end of a long multi-flight vacation recently, and I know this is how it happens. The checkin counter lady and I had a short conversation in which she asked me if I wanted to check the bag on through to my final destination. And that's how the bag went, and I never saw it when I changed planes.
P.S. The bag arrived just fine at my destination.
ok, thanks, I guess I'll set it up at the counter

Old 12-02-2008, 03:51 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,109,064 times
You're welcome! Have a great trip!

Old 12-02-2008, 04:52 PM

3,507 posts, read 13,459,060 times
I always check bags. Much better than lugging them around.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,001,992 times
If that's a "layover" in your itinerary, then you shouldn't have to retrieve your bags at LaGuardia at all---they will simply be transferred to your next flight.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:45 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,105,963 times
You *do* have to claim your checked bags and go through customs on international flights, but not on domestic flights.

Keep in mind to put any liquids in your checked bag inside zip-lock bags, or otherwise take precautions that they don't wet your clothes if they leak.

Keep in mind that checked bags are handled roughly, don't put anything you can break by hitting it with a hammer in your checked bag. Sad to say.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You *do* have to claim your checked bags and go through customs on international flights, but not on domestic flights.

Keep in mind to put any liquids in your checked bag inside zip-lock bags, or otherwise take precautions that they don't wet your clothes if they leak.

Keep in mind that checked bags are handled roughly, don't put anything you can break by hitting it with a hammer in your checked bag. Sad to say.

yeah, sadly, I may have some difficulties bringing over liquor in my checked bags from MA to IL. I thought about wrapping it up really well in massive amounts of bubble wrap, but I think I may just mail it to myself instead (I'm sure I'll be breaking some laws mailing liquor, but screw it, it's rum straight from the Caribbean!)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 AM

3,507 posts, read 13,459,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
yeah, sadly, I may have some difficulties bringing over liquor in my checked bags from MA to IL. I thought about wrapping it up really well in massive amounts of bubble wrap, but I think I may just mail it to myself instead (I'm sure I'll be breaking some laws mailing liquor, but screw it, it's rum straight from the Caribbean!)
Shipping to yourself is so much easier. MA to IL...why don't ya just drive!

Old 12-03-2008, 08:20 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
If the USPS catches it they'll seize it. Use UPS instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel