Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 02:14 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,466,691 times

Advertisements

OK I have a trip planned for 20/02-27/02......

I wasn't planning on renting a car and planned on spending 5 days in Reykjavik (to include requisite nightlife, shopping, a hike maybe and horseback riding, weather permitting). The other two nights were to be at the Northern Light Inn/Blue Lagoon. Unfortunately, the last night is unavailable at either the NLI or the BL, so I am faced with re-arranging my plans!

Any suggestions? I was thinking of shortening the Reyk stay, go to the NLI/BL and then go south for the horseback riding and a hike in a nice hotel with hot tub/swimming pool. ---But I didn't really want to rent a car.

Help!

Last edited by lalahartma; 12-17-2008 at 03:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
You should also do the Golden Circle- but that might require a car. I'm sure there are bus tours of the sites but a car would be easier. The Golden Circle includes Þingvellir (both a geological and historical site), Nesjavellir (a geothermal electric plant- great little museum and amazing multilingual tour guides- in fact all of the power plants in Iceland seem to have visitor's centers), Gullfoss (waterfalls), Geysir (the original! :P), and Kerið (a volcanic crater). I only ever drove through Hveragerði but it's a little town with a bunch of geothermal greenhouses so you can eat great Icelandic bananas in the middle of an Icelandic winter. In general, the Ring Road is absolutely breathtaking.

Personally I didn't think the Blue Lagoon was even a full day trip, much less than 2 days, but your mileage may vary. I also didn't think Reykjavik was a 5 day city as it's rather small- I walked across the entire city in about half an hour on a sprained ankle. I love it and their big mall and the 66' North stores are some of my favorite shopping places in the world, but it IS only a city of around 100,000 people.

Keep in mind also that it will be very dark for most of the day. Hikes will have to be kept relatively short. It's nothing like the darkness it would be today, but it's still something you need to plan for. Also, since it will be winter, you need to keep in mind the weather conditions. Most of my Icelandic friends rarely hike in the winter because of sudden winter storms. And you should never hike alone in the winter for these reasons. Cell phone service was amazing there due to the sheer lack of trees (I got cell service on top of mountains in the West Fjords which is the most rural part of the country) but during a snowstorm, it's anyone's guess.

Another possibility is doing a rural homestay visit. That seems to be popular. You live on a farm with a family and can ride horses, eat wonderful Icelandic food, and relax with great people. They're also called farm stays, I believe.

In any case, I'm incredibly jealous! I don't know if this is your first time to Iceland or not, but it's a wonderful country. I lived there for 2 months over the past summer (a month and a half in Akureyri, 2 weeks in a farmhouse outside of Isafjordur, and a week on the old US airbase in Keflavik going into Reykjavik every day) so any questions about costs, touristy things to do, culture, or basic greetings in Icelandic, I'd be happy to help!

Old 12-18-2008, 06:47 AM

3,975 posts, read 7,690,509 times
Ok, take me with you!!! I loved Iceland, I went in 2005, and it was incredible. the next time I go, I may rent a car just to be able to explore more of the Eastern region. the poster above gives great info. check into bus trips, this can save you from the hassle of renting a car if you don't want to, and let you enjoy the countryside without worrying about road rules, etc.

Old 12-18-2008, 07:16 AM

Thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
How much sunlight will you be getting in Iceland in February? That might govern your itinerary.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
How much sunlight will you be getting in Iceland in February? That might govern your itinerary.
On Feb 20th, sunrise is about 9 and sunset is about 6. That's actually a lot more daylight than I thought it would be. I was there during the summer and- with the exception of the last 2 weeks- the entire 2 months I was there I didn't see darkness... and even the last 2 weeks were only dusky and never really all that dark, despite "only" being 17 hour days. In my head, the days were a whole lot shorter through Feb and March!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
On Feb 20th, sunrise is about 9 and sunset is about 6. That's actually a lot more daylight than I thought it would be. I was there during the summer and- with the exception of the last 2 weeks- the entire 2 months I was there I didn't see darkness... and even the last 2 weeks were only dusky and never really all that dark, despite "only" being 17 hour days. In my head, the days were a whole lot shorter through Feb and March!
The reason I ask was that there used to be some very cheap 2 night packages BWI to Iceland for something like $250 a few years back. We were ready to book until we discovered that there were perhaps three or four hours on sunlight in late December.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM

This is a good site for anyone: Sunrise and Sunset for Iceland – Reykjavik – February 2009

Decided on 4 nights in Reyk, one night at the NLI, two nights at Ranga and a car for those last days in the south.

Old 12-21-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalahartma View Post
This is a good site for anyone: Sunrise and Sunset for Iceland – Reykjavik – February 2009

Decided on 4 nights in Reyk, one night at the NLI, two nights at Ranga and a car for those last days in the south.
I'm so jealous! Take lots of pictures and post them here when you get back!

Old 12-26-2008, 02:57 PM

176 posts, read 522,591 times
Default be open

decide when you get there

you might find something surprising

my husband and I went to Reyjavik years ago and found a guy
named Villi Knudsen who was a volcano explorer. Everytime a volcano
blew Villi and some crazy pilot would fly over the volcano and around it
shooting video.

He only had money to have one film narrated. After he showed that one
he just showed one volcano blowing up after another. he could tell the
difference but we couldn't.

This "show" was in a covered carport attached to his house. Believe me,
I've never forgotten it or him. I don't remember much about volcanos but I remember him.

The kicker: we had signed his guestbook. We got a letter from him sometime later saying he was selling volcano videos for $50 and that he's not "some big corporation, so how about it?"

We sent the money but Villi apparently forgot to send the video.

Iceland is full of characters - I love the place.

So, I hope you have a great adventure.

Last edited by megonow; 12-26-2008 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: saw typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel