Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 11:55 AM

3 posts, read 5,305 times

Advertisements

Or are their times when even the carefulist drivers even on safe roads with less/more than 3 vehicles on it/them still the safe drivers cannot avoid themselves/passengers being injured/killed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 11:59 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
It only takes one unnattentive dope to ram into the world's safest drivers.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:03 PM

Ouch that would certainly hurt.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannianhero4 View Post
Or are their times when even the carefulist drivers even on safe roads with less/more than 3 vehicles on it/them still the safe drivers cannot avoid themselves/passengers being injured/killed?
All it takes is one other vehicle. I read on a website about a lady who was sitting at a stop light and a semi went out of control while approaching the intersection from the opposite direction and hit her car (a small one) head on, killing her. There are times where there is absolutely NOTHING you can do to avoid an accident. But, I would say that 95 percent of accidents can be avoided by careful driving.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Larry Grodsky, founder of Stayin' Safe motorcycle school, long-time motorcycle safety guru, wrote a column in Motorcyclist magazine, hit a deer on a ride and died. I think he was riding alone, who knows, maybe he was tired, no one will ever know the details. But I would say if it happened to him, it could happen to anybody, regardless of skill and attention level.

But, I would say the vast majority of the time, even on a bike, if you are using your head and know what you are doing, you can at least avoid getting killed.

Take the lady in the above post. Did she have any chance to drive over a curb, whatever, and escape? I don't know the details but probably she did. Would it have worked? Again hard to say but doing *something* to try to escape is better than just sitting there.

Your real enemy anytime you are awake is what "Uncle" Jeff Cooper called "Condition White" - you are zoned out, your mind is somewhere other than where your body is. This makes you an easier victim for accidents, criminal attack, dog bites, etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:57 PM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Can all safe drivers avoid all fatal crashes?

The answer is no, but they can increase their chances of avoiding them. I was told by my advanced instuctor that if I followed the procedures taught that I would never have an accident that was my fault.

I was taught defensive driving and went on to do instruction myself and I'm looking to do another course because you never stop learning.

I don't think they ever prepared me for the tyre that burst on a truck coming towards me that then came off and luckily bounced right over my car though.

There are many examples of freak accidents but most collisions aren't accidents as such, it usually comes down to someone committing a driver error. As was said above, just keep your wits about you and don't get distracted.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:04 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
I agree about the statement that people are zoned out while driving. And complacent! It amazes me how many people will go through an intersection and not even LOOK to see if anyone is coming. Whenever I approach an intersection, I am always looking to make sure no one is running the light/stop sign, and I am always ready to stop if it looks like they are going to.

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-04-2009, 01:49 PM

^ That is soooooooooo sad : (

Old 02-04-2009, 08:51 PM

54 posts, read 338,905 times
Not if you run into this woman!

Canada's Worst Driver efiant , Deadly and still driving - [domain blocked due to spam]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel