Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 02:40 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,678,850 times

Advertisements

I've lived in the Northeast all my life so I've seen the ocean plenty of times. I'm not surprised that people living in the middle of the country have never seen it. Why would you have seen something that doesn't exist anywhere near where you live? It just means that you should travel!
I remember when I went to Florida for the first time and got laughed at for being so excited at the sight of a real palm tree. So I don't judge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2011, 04:27 PM

134 posts, read 302,652 times
Some people in Florida have never seen snow.

Some of those are quite familiar with crack, though.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,950,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I remember when I went to Florida for the first time and got laughed at for being so excited at the sight of a real palm tree. So I don't judge.
Palm trees never get old and they always look awesome haha

Old 04-02-2011, 08:56 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,227,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is a Starbucks in the parking lot of my supermarket, but I've never been in a Starbucks.
Have only been in one once, and that was by accident. Became hopelessly lost one day, and walked into one to ask directions. A very helpful young man with a laptop quickly provided me with the information I needed, and was on my way. Did not take the time to order a cup of coffee. Did I miss something?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:59 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,713,493 times
I lived in San Francisco, by the Ocean with a large picture window that faced it. Twice a year when the fog lifted it looked great

Old 04-02-2011, 09:18 AM

1,391 posts, read 2,647,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhittak View Post
I see cornfields all the way to the horizon from where I live. It's almost like the ocean.
That's a spitting image of Indiana. A flat, featureless landscape filled with nothing but miles and miles and miles and miles of cornfields and soybean fields everywhere you go. Spending a lifetime in such a depressing locale makes it extremely easy to see why coastal areas have denser populations.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:46 AM

4,947 posts, read 10,819,736 times
I can't imagine never seeing the ocean.
I spent many many years on the ocean when I lived in NYC.
Winter Cod fishing in Mass. Winter Tautog fishing in Jersey.
Nothing like fishing fishing on a 32 footer in January with 4-6 ft waves and an air temp of 11.
Good times!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:01 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,086,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♪♫♪♪♫♫♪♥ View Post
That's a spitting image of Indiana. A flat, featureless landscape filled with nothing but miles and miles and miles and miles of cornfields and soybean fields everywhere you go. Spending a lifetime in such a depressing locale makes it extremely easy to see why coastal areas have denser populations.
The reason the costal areas are denser than cornfield areas is simply because everone piles up along the coast as the water blocks their way. Not unlike that scene in Animal House where the band takes the wrong turn into the alley.

I have seen the oceans and frankly I am a bit skeptical of what I was really looking at, sure you could hear the waves but how far past the horizon do these things really extend?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:14 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,389,020 times
IMHO there are two kinds of people in the world - Settlers and Nomads. Some people are very happy to stay put. It seems to be in their DNA. Others want to travel, explore, move, meet new people, and see the world. Neither preference is "ignorant." Both types of people serve very important functions. The Settlers create companies, farms, cities, and a settled economy. The Nomads bring the world to the world - they bring new ideas, challenge old ideas, and share information on the way things are doing "out there," among other things.

I know people from my childhood home in the Dakotas who have never left their county. They are happy with their lot in life and have surrounded themselves with family and friends. They might save up for that one big trip: to Hawaii, or Europe, or Iowa. And then they settle back home, as if to say, "Well, that was interesting. But Home is better." Salt of the earth. Practical. Hardworking. And often the fact they stay home is why you have bread and butter on your table.

From Mark Twain - "It is difference of opinion that makes horse races"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel