Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:08 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times

Advertisements

I'm going to Tijuana in June for a few days and am so worried.

I called my sister, a nurse who put it into perspective-
are people avoiding the US as a whole?
Is travel to New York City forbidden? (can you imagine that!)
SARS, remember that? What happened - it just disappeared from the media.

So far, Tijuana is clear- but I'm sure by then it won't be.
And if it's in NY, it will soon be in surrounding states, too? Right?

Or is this just one of those times you stand 3 feet away from others, don't touch anything, and wear a mask?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 03:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
I live in Texas. Should I leave the state to avoid it

I believe it is just a time that should wake us all up. We are pretty sloppy ourselves when it comes to hygiene and don't always wash hands after using the restroom. Then throw in if your in a public restroom and it looks like you'd catch more germs by washing your hands if the place doesn't clean them often........ not good. I've seen some public restrooms where the toilets looked cleaner than the sinks and door knobs to get out of there.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:03 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,794,661 times
I believe it is just like ordinary flu, about a week of inconvenience. This is not some major killer like the media is making it out to be!

Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,198,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I believe it is just like ordinary flu, about a week of inconvenience. This is not some major killer like the media is making it out to be!
Tell that to the people who died from it in Mexico

Old 04-27-2009, 10:48 PM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I believe it is just like ordinary flu, about a week of inconvenience.
Yeah, not exactly -- this strain has labbed out as four types of influenza in one "bug", and humans have no immunities to any of the four...

"Inconvenience" is true of influenza strains to which humans have some partial immunity.
Death is true of untreated (even sometimes treated) influenza strains to which humans have no immunity. Googling the effects and history of influenza is instructive.

Anyone thinking of going to Mexico can keep up with the degree of danger or safety on the front page of the CDC website, which will be constantly updated.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,955,051 times
Here is one concern I'd have... as of now, the strain in Mexico seems to be stronger. When you are in an airplane, you are sharing recycled air, so you are put at an increased risk if someone on board is infected. But my biggest consern would be, if I'm in Mexico on vacation for a week, and I get ill on day 2... I'm not going to be seen in the US, I'm going to be seen in MEXICO and you know - I don't think I'd want to trust it to the local hospital there to make sure I'm ok. So while I live in the NY Metro area, I'm not paniced here (as of now) but I wouldn't want to be in Mexico either.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 AM

3,871 posts, read 17,107,915 times
Solution: Don't go to Mexico, as all the health authorities are urging, until this is sorted out. All the airlines are allowing no-charge ticket changes right now, for the next couple or few days.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,715,984 times
I've decided to NOT go....however, I am monitoring the situation as it's so weird for Europe's CDC/State Department equivalent to say:

avoid travel to the US.

So if there is no killer outbreak in Baja- I'll go in June.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 9,723,059 times
No, Vegas, it's not weird, it's called ignorance and politics. Pay attention to where you are going, the govt's issues (Mexico) and keep your hands washed and out of your face. You really can't run from the flu, it's worldwide.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
The 1918 flu was a inconvenience i the spring also. But it was certainly more in teh fall of the year. Its good that we pay attention and neither panic or ignore the possiblities.Cetainly I would rush to teh worse striken nation since so much in all countries have come from going to mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel