Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 02:33 PM

8 posts, read 20,455 times

Advertisements

Where would be the best place to go in America or Canada for a holiday??

I am in an electric wheelchair and would need availability of accessible vehicle hire or taxi. I would like easy access so I can explore around the area.

Any ideas will be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 12:55 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,474 times
Disney World (from ground transportation to the parks, hotels and shopping- it's all ADA friendly)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:46 AM

8 posts, read 20,455 times
Thanks very much, but is there anywhere else seeing I don't have kids with me, it will be just me and husband.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:09 AM

Well, I'd say again, Disney (it's not just for kids), but if you aren't into shows and all of that variety, you could try Vegas. The hotels are ADA compliant and the entertainment is awesome.

Pretty much anywhere in the USA is ADA compliant now or is in the process of becoming so.
Washington DC, New York City, pretty much anywhere.

What kinds of things do you like to do on vacation?

Old 07-23-2009, 03:31 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,548,187 times
I might be able to do a variant with an additional wrinkle.

I use an electric wheelchair and have a brittle bone disease. Is there any place that's accessible, but low in traffic accidents? (I just read of an OI teen named Noah Cook who survived a bad car accident in New Jersey, but I wouldn't want to experience what he did)

'Miracle': V'land teen survives hit-and-run | thedailyjournal.com | The Daily Journal

Old 07-23-2009, 07:51 AM

Every time you leave the house you are taking risks. So if you are not adventurous, then I'd pick something close to home.

By the way, I'm a disabled vet and know first hand about mobility issues. I've been there and done that. I now am able to walk again but won't ever forget the horrible time I had of it. I didn't travel at all. So you are braver than me for even thinking about it.

Godspeed!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM

228 posts, read 1,000,605 times
Take a cruise! I see people all the time while Im on a cruise speeding around in those little scooters and just pick a port that would be of interest to you. You can find out which tours are wheel chair accessible before you go.

Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
Hello Thomas - My son is 9 yrs. old and has same OI type VIII. We never gone out for vacation in last 9 yrs because we were scared and lack of knowledge. I just started learning more about travel with Disability & barrier free vacation spots but got overwhelmed now. I came across your post and now curious to know, where did you end up going on vacation. Any tips you can share with us.

Old 12-02-2012, 03:36 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,738,090 times
I can add two things: NYC is semi-accessible but you need to go to the MTA website to find the accessible subway stations. And Charleston SC presents some problems. There is a very helpful website, which of course I can't recall the name of, which has lots of info on accessibility. Whoever suggested a cruise had a good idea.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Lots of places are great destinations and accessible, and operate with assistance recognition to barriers to mobility.

Washington DC would be high on my list and National Parks too.

I encountered this park near Silver City, NM (in the boonies)
Gila2520National2520Forest2520-2520Catwalk2520Recreation2520Area

After a couple strokes and an unplanned amputation (of his Good leg), We found the electric wheelchair of my Stepdad fit right in the entry of VW Rialta, so... my mom traded her beloved Roadtrek, for a similarly loved Rialta.

it is very low to ground, and they using an FD model, ez to transfer to passenger chairs / bed / toilet. All within one step!

Rialta Heaven - Welcome - Rialta Eurovan Camper, VW Rialta Camper, Used Camper Van. (17- 20 mpg motorhome, Class C, fully self contained, EZ to drive, and park.)

As mentioned, Disneyworld. EPCOT would be high on my list as well.

What do you like? Entertainment? Many folks enjoy Branson, MO for that (at a slower pace than Las Vegas).

Most city transit now has accessible buses and trains. Come to Portland, OR there is transit from the Air terminal to many parts of town. (I might suggest checking the weather / what you want to see, as it does rain / overcast 285 days / yr.)

There will be transit / taxi companies that can take you to the coast (lots of great accessible overlooks), or just send me a PM. If I'm home I can always enjoy a trip to the coast (or mtns) Mt Hood and Mt St Helens ~ 1 hr. Mt Rainier 2hrs. Great FUN lodges at many mtn / National Park destinations. And not too spendy. EVERYTHING under USA Federal and MOST state recreation is ADA compliant.

Consider the Utah parks, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, and Lake Louise / Banff, Alberta

A cruise can be pretty nice too. We did Celebrity Line from Vancouver BC to Alaska, That was pretty grand, and lots to see from the ship. The Caribbean would be a bit better this time of yr. We did a very SMALL old ship on that route, fun too. Lots of music / entertainment / time to relax. Plus you are 'established' in a spot for a week or two, so might be easier for starters. Consider 'relocation' cruises (When ship is going between areas... South America to Mediterranean or similar.) These can be bought VERY cheap, and some are VERY long (4 wks) cheap cruises DOT com (I think). BARGAIN cruises will make staying home look very expensive.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 12-02-2012 at 08:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel