Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2015, 06:00 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Europe is more densely populated, sure, but the diversity is way overstated. The cultural nuances between Norway and Sweden, say, might be clear to Europeans, but they're much less so to outsiders. Europe also includes many (closely-related) languages in a small territory, yes. And it's true that the U.S. is still dominated by several restaurant and shopping chains. (Although Starbucks, Hagen Daz, Levis, Gap, Ralph Lauren, and McDonald's are all over Europe too, I noticed.)

I'll point out, however, that several of the world's most diverse (and least segregated) cities happen to be American ones. Immigrants from all over the world can be met in the U.S.'s largest cities. They're almost all represented in NYC alone, and Los Angeles, Miami, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, etc., all contain great diversity. Regional differences are obvious. The U.S. is a long way from homogenous.
you are just kidding yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,562,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are just kidding yourself.
Kidding themselves about what exactly? The U.S. was founded as a country of immigrants so yeah, our larger cities are pretty diverse. Are you trying to refute that, from your spot in Canada?

Old 09-28-2015, 11:52 AM

208 posts, read 257,962 times
I disagree that people don't travel because of fear. That isn't true at all. I would have no fear of going overseas and bopping around by myself. Of course I would do my research and not go places at night where I could be mugged.

The issue about travelling overseas for me is mainly one of costs. I'm very travel savvy and know I could piece together a modest trip to one country--maybe the one that I'm most dying to see--but then what? I certainly wouldn't be able to do it the next year or maybe not even the year after that, so then what? Not be happy with a trip to the local beach anymore?

Also there would be an issue with local transportation once I'm in the country. I would not want to drive out of the congested tourist cities and go to the lesser known destinations, maybe some isolated spots. How would I get there if I wasn't part of a tour group? Driving in some of the 3rd world countries isn't safe. Roads are bad and people drive poorly. It's easy enough to travel through Europe from city to city on trains but what if you want to go out to the countryside or up into the mountains, how is a single woman going to do that? Tour groups are expensive.

I looked into a number of interesting trips with groups and even the cheaper ones average $4000-5000.

Not on my budget.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM

208 posts, read 257,962 times
So the bottom line for me is that I can travel much more easily through the US by myself and return to many of my favorite destinations year after year. Sometimes I've been able to do 2 trips in one year by planning wisely, camping and getting deals. I would not be able to afford to travel overseas every year. Not at all.

Old 09-28-2015, 01:55 PM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
I disagree that people don't travel because of fear. That isn't true at all. I would have no fear of going overseas and bopping around by myself. Of course I would do my research and not go places at night where I could be mugged.

The issue about travelling overseas for me is mainly one of costs. I'm very travel savvy and know I could piece together a modest trip to one country--maybe the one that I'm most dying to see--but then what? I certainly wouldn't be able to do it the next year or maybe not even the year after that, so then what? Not be happy with a trip to the local beach anymore?

Also there would be an issue with local transportation once I'm in the country. I would not want to drive out of the congested tourist cities and go to the lesser known destinations, maybe some isolated spots. How would I get there if I wasn't part of a tour group? Driving in some of the 3rd world countries isn't safe. Roads are bad and people drive poorly. It's easy enough to travel through Europe from city to city on trains but what if you want to go out to the countryside or up into the mountains, how is a single woman going to do that? Tour groups are expensive.

I looked into a number of interesting trips with groups and even the cheaper ones average $4000-5000.

Not on my budget.
It's easier said and done, but if you can...save. The tour group I went on was roughly $2200 per person. We went to Paris and Rome, and went to two other countries on our own. Paris/Rome was like 7 days, included airfare, hotels (centrally located), a couple of dinners and the hotels had free breakfast. If you wanted to do it the year after, just save as soon as you get back. If you can, put $75 in an account every week and avoid tapping into it. I have friends who tell me they can't afford to go to Europe. They can, they just decide to spend $100 on a ticket to a concert, or go out and drink 3-4 times a week. Stuff like that adds up, and I'm not suggesting to not have a social life but if your end goal is to be somewhere in a year, go for it and make the sacrifices necessary.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Kidding themselves about what exactly? The U.S. was founded as a country of immigrants so yeah, our larger cities are pretty diverse.
The US is definitely diverse, but in terms of travel, no. Even San Francisco is not so much different from San Antonio, or Seattle from Boston. Maybe for an American they are dramatically different.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
The US is definitely diverse, but in terms of travel, no. Even San Francisco is not so much different from San Antonio, or Seattle from Boston. Maybe for an American they are dramatically different.
That's your opinion, which happens to be incorrect but you can spare us the usual "The U.S. is a bore" post, we've all gotten tired of it.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
That's your opinion, which happens to be incorrect but you can spare us the usual "The U.S. is a bore" post, we've all gotten tired of it.
The US is not a bore. It has very diverse and beautiful landscape.

However, the US cities are boring and sterile. They are exactly like each other in most cases (a few exceptions such as New Orleans, Charleston etc.) For the size of the country and the number of the cities, its cities are extremely underwhelming.

Is that my opinion or a fact, depends on how well you know the world.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:38 PM

Quote:

Is that my opinion or a fact, depends on how well you know the world.
That's your opinion.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post

There are creative ways of funding a travel habit. If you've got decent credit, you can 'churn' a few different credit cards that offer airline miles or hotel points as a sign up bonus after you spend a modest amount on the card the first few months or so. You can answer market research surveys for airline miles, hotel points, or outright cash/Pay Pal that goes into a designated travel fund. You can carefully monitor the 'good fare' web sites and then cobble together a cheap fare routing where you're using,say, some Southwest frequent flyer points to get to Baltimore because from there the Icelandic discount carrier Wow! is offering $450 sale fares from BWI to London.

As for small towns, there are many countries like Germany where both train and bus routes actually extend to many a place that has fewer than 10,000 residents. Doubly so in mountain areas because city folks often prefer to take the train up to the winter ski resorts instead of having to drive themselves there during a snowstorm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel