Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 AM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times

Advertisements

We are planning a vacation on 2010 for a family of 5, I wanted to see if I could get some "helpful hints" from my fellow CD'ers. Things you tried that you didnt like, or ways you saved money- any advice you can give would be appreciated!

Last edited by Bo; 09-20-2009 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 10:21 AM

184 posts, read 462,216 times
I tell you make sure you stay at a hotel on the disney property. We went about 4 years ago and stayed at Carribean Beach Resort(which is on Disney property) and had the best time ever. You can catch the shuttle everywhere, and plus staying at a Disney hotel you can stay at the parks later than the regular guests.
One thing i suggest is look into the boat trip with Peter Pan, that is something you have to pay extra for but well worth it, the boat stops in the water in front of the castle and you get to watch the fireworks show.
If you would like anymore info please feel free to ask.
You will have such a good time.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 AM

88 posts, read 292,442 times
Go to the Disney website. They have financial plans and trip planners.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:37 PM

124 posts, read 470,596 times
There are several websites devoted to Disney Parks, do a search and check them out.

You don't mention which Disney your trip is for though-- CA or FL? Any advice really depends on which of these you're going to.

Some general tips:

Be sure you scope out all the deals for tickets which ever parks your planning to attend. Sometimes you can get cheaper tickets through places like Costco or AAA. You might also look into Annual Passes if your stay will be long enough to make that cost effective over multi-day passes. You'll get extra savings on tours and food with an AP.

Eat at the breakfast buffet at your hotel. For lunch pack a picnic lunch and keep in a soft sided cooler in a locker, then picnic outside the park (Disneyland, not sure how the World does lockers and picnic areas) the park's food is expensive and you will save tons on a multi-day trip by fixing your own sandwiches for lunch and taking advantage of free food in your hotel. If your hotel room has a fridge and microwave, all the better.

To avoid the worst crowds get to the parks at opening, which means showing up at least 30 minutes before the gates open. You will get on a ton of rides in a short amount of time, then when the crowds show up a few hours later, you can hit the less popular rides, go to another destination, catch a show, hit the pool at the hotel, etc. I highly recommend Ridemax-- you do have to pay for it though, which will schedule your rides to keep your wait times to a minimum. Some people don't like being so scheduled, but it really does work whether your goal is an agressive "get on as many rides as possible" one, or a more relaxed one where you just don't want to stand in long lines.

And don't miss Fantasmic!

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Don't go.

Pull out the Monopoly board, teach the kids how to play chess/checkers, rent a great family movie, get tuba-ruba on eBay, go-fish, old-maid, Uno, Scrabble, cook/bake together... most of our parents (my age group) grew up with Disney 'toons and no fakey world and I think, generally, we mostly turned out to be members of the no-so-bad parenting club.

If you must go to Disney, stay at one of the properties and spend like you never have before! Take a LOT of pictures, 'cause the kids won't remember it.

Last edited by SunsetBeachFL; 09-20-2009 at 12:42 PM.. Reason: Money spent, well done. Time spent, never forgotten

Old 09-20-2009, 12:55 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
You can order this DVD from Disney for free:
https://www.disneyvacations.com/dv/en_US/VacationPlanningDVD/index?sourcecode=13852&referrer=wdw&hdrType=defaul t&vcnType=wdw&CMP=KNC-CMRWDW_LeadGen_GOO&s_kwcid=disney%20world%20travel |3314866803&bhcp=1

In addition, if you don't want a regular hotel room, you might consider renting one of the many vacation villas in the area. That way, you can get all the space you need, full size kitchen, all sorts of amenities.....plus a private pool depending on how much money you wanted to spend. With tourism down, you can get SUPER DEALS....just keep scrolling and reading!! You can get a whole condo/villa for $50 - $75 a night. They also provide free bus/shuttle service to any of the local attractions. This might be a real money saver for you since you have 5 people in your party.
Disney Vacation Rentals - Disney Orlando Villas, Family Vacation Home Rentals (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/florida/central-disney-orlando - broken link)

I happen to live in the area, so feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:32 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,911 times
We are going to disney world Florida and plan to rent an RV and stay at the Fort Wilderness resort. I have looked up some of the mentioned websites,but I figured if they were made by Disney world- they might be a little bias. Thank you for the advice on the Ridemax- that is kind of stuff I want to know- from people who have been- if the things they offer are really worth it. Also- I wasnt ever aware of the boat ride- that sounds great! thank you all!

Old 09-20-2009, 02:11 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
bring more money than you expect to need. any convenience will require $$$ & it's worth it.

the icecream dots are fun. the food venues can be disappointing.... imo.

i prefer to stay at the embassy suites, even if one of them in anaheim is actually a renovated holiday inn...

kate

Old 09-20-2009, 02:52 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Mousesavers.com
Frommers.com

Old 09-20-2009, 03:23 PM

92 posts, read 166,619 times
I have been twice. The first time was way back in 1992 during the summer. The second was in April 2000.
Huge difference in weather and lines for rides and some prices because it was off season.
Go during April or off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel