Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

127 posts, read 326,923 times

Advertisements

Ok So I just got back home to va beach, va after a 5 day cruise which was amazing, but I had to fly from norfolk to atlanta, then to miami and vice versa on the way back and after a miserable flight from atlanta back home this evening I'm curious to know if anyone else has my opinion on this. My flight home was a very full flight and I could not make any seat changes and there were no first class upgrades left, so I was left in the middle of row 23 (middle seat) and the aisle and window seat were occupied by a male and female both very obese! it is my opinion that these people should have to buy two seats, because both of them spilled into mine leaving me with no use of either armrest and only about 40% of my seat to actually sit in, just curious to know what others takes on this are and any other horror stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 08:17 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,383,814 times
IMO grossly obese passengers should pay for 2 seats.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,024,594 times
I agree with you 100%! I hate it when I book a flight late and get a middle seat but I have never been stuck in one. I always arrive to the flight about 2 hours early and just do a self check in and I have always been able to change my seat even on flights that are 100% booked.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:26 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,809,923 times
Yes, 2 seats is appropriate if they cannot safely fit in a single seat. Unfortunately there is such a movement in this country to feel sympathy for fat people that it will never happen.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:12 PM

2,184 posts, read 5,557,076 times
I would've asked them to switch seats so I could be on the outside. Possible ways to motivate them: coughing... telling them I need to use the restroom alot.... my elbows & knees constantly twitch - I can't control myself.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:15 AM

737 posts, read 2,590,418 times
Fat is fat - it is when the passenger requests a seat belt extender that fat turns into the obese category. Frankly, if a you're in a middle seat between 2 passengers with seat belt extenders, then ask the FA to re-locate you. If it is possible, you'll find that the FA will normally assist you as just about anyone would see this as a potential safety issue.

This is also a good reason to use miles to upgrade to the next cabin - for your safety and comfort. If you've got the miles, use them.

Sarahkate_m's "stealth" tactics are also a good way to get re-positioned.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,726,634 times
People taking up my seat in the plane is a pet peeve of mine. Sometimes it's not even people who are obese, but just those who are larger than me and figure that I don't need my entire seat space. If I'm in an aisle or window it's no problem, since I just shift to the opposite side, but when I'm in the middle and both people make the same assumption, I get annoyed.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:02 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,478,211 times
I know a very fat couple who always just buy three seats together and put up the armrests. That to me is very ethical on their part.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:08 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,774,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I know a very fat couple who always just buy three seats together and put up the armrests. That to me is very ethical on their part.
speaking of armrests ..... is there a unwritten rule that says who gets them ? Since the aisle and window get one for sure do you give the other to the middle seat ? or is 1st come 1st serve ?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:28 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,478,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitroad View Post
speaking of armrests ..... is there a unwritten rule that says who gets them ? Since the aisle and window get one for sure do you give the other to the middle seat ? or is 1st come 1st serve ?
It's a stupid system. The way it ends up working out is unfair: biggest person wins, tie goes to the male.

In a civil world, both persons would stay off the armrest. But they won't. And usually the men know that the women will not want to be confrontational, so they just hog it. I read some months back about a plan to angle the rows so that no one is flat adjacent to anyone, which seems to me like a marvelous idea. Unfortunately, that would require airlines to spend money on passenger comfort, which they will not do, and to envision something new, which very few will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel