Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM

111 posts, read 435,519 times

Advertisements

We've got a post about how many people have never been on a plane so I decided to create this thread so I wouldn't hijack the other thread. How many of you have flown and will never fly again? Please explain why also. If this doesn't pertain to you specifically, but you know somebody that fits in this category (co-worker, neighbor, friend, relative), then add their story if you can or just tell it in a general way.

I've flown and I love it. I don't enjoy some of the hassle about getting onto the plane, but it's a small price to pay to be able to do what I enjoy doing. I just wish I could do a lot more of it instead of being limited to maybe 1 or 2 trips a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 11:58 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,539,736 times
I'm one that doesn't see it as a hassle getting on the plane.

I look at the TSA website the night before I go, follow the rules and usually breeze thru security.
If I'm delayed it's usually because someone either didn't look things up or felt like the rules were for everyone but them.

I use my extra time to either read or people watch.

I love to fly.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:26 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
I couldnt say I love flying but it's a necessity if I wanna see this big ol' world. It was years before I could bring myself to get on a plane, but it's become easier each time.
Passport control on the other hand....

A friend had a paralyzing fear of flying, which she overcame (temporarily it seems) to travel with her husband to Europe. When I told her how often we were going over to the U.S she said we were 'brave' to do that. She's always had a real fear of traveling to the U.S. She also said she was becoming more sedentary nowdays. I think it's a shame, she's only in her mid-30's, and has a lively, enquiring mind.

Still, I wish traveling where I want to didn't always involve over 20 hours of plane travel. It does get old after awhile.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:10 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I'm mixed on the whole thing. As it stands I don't mind the steps we have to go through to get on a plane. The problem is that things may become much more of a hassle, and that is going to get old. Pretty soon they'll expect us to be at the airport 5 hours before the plane leaves. 4 of that sitting in the terminal waiting for the plane. Seems a bit much.

Last year my alarm clock didn't go off and I got to the airport 15 minutes before my flight. I had enough time to get through the check-in and go to the bathroom. When I came out of the bathroom the plane was boarding and I walked right on. I have to wonder why they want me there 2 hours before my flight leaves.

The other problem is the airlines charging more and more for luggage. They are going to price themselves out of business sooner or later.

We just had a conversation about this and have decided that we will continue to carefully look at the cost and time (and hassle) required to get someplace by plane and car. We did this last May and drove to Jacksonville and back instead of flying.

Since we are going to be retired by the end of 2010 we will have all the time in the world to get from here to there so driving will be more attractive.

With that said we also have close to 200,000 airline miles to use and we are not going to let that go.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,369 times
I'm always anxious about flying. I've done it- been "across the pond" three times even, but it takes very little to rattle me. The underwear bomber, etc. makes my anxiety worse. I really, really don't want to fly this summer if I don't have to. At some point we will again because I don't want my daughter to grow up afraid (she is almost 3 and flew last summer for the first time.)

I was 27 when I made my first flight, which figures into my anxiety, which was also why I wanted my daughter on a plane sooner rather than later. If it's something that's always been part of her life, I wonder if she'll be less likely to be a scardy-cat like her mama. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel