Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 01:44 PM

61,721 posts, read 87,123,005 times

Advertisements

I read this few days ago, and decided that riding a train in the US isn't an experience I want to gain. I better stick to the trains in Europe...
https://jalopnik.com/i-took-amtrak-i...-to-1833533707
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 03:25 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
They added two completely new trains to the Bangkok <-> Chiang Mai line, we recently took the 2nd class sleeper on one of them and it was pretty nice.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:57 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,581,118 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I read this few days ago, and decided that riding a train in the US isn't an experience I want to gain. I better stick to the trains in Europe...
https://jalopnik.com/i-took-amtrak-i...-to-1833533707
Thanks for this article, Elnina! I hooted and hollered laughing while reading it from start to finish. The author's words are so TRUE. I forgot about the spotty wi-fi (actually non-existent the further west my train went) and the slow, slow plodding of the train toward our destination.

The food bar and the restroom that were featured in the pic - yep, that's exactly how they looked on the trains that I've been on. To find a silver lining behind the cloud, I will say since you won't have internet access you can read a book without distracting yourself or pass the time in the observation deck looking at forgotten towns as you pass through or at the mottled forests. Lol, I loved this article.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
They advertise wifi on lots of long-distance buses in Asia and Latin America, but it seems that usually means bus driver puts his phone as wifi-hotspot with company name and 30 people commence trying to surf the internet through it at the same time. Result = useless.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:26 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Thanks for this article, Elnina! I hooted and hollered laughing while reading it from start to finish. The author's words are so TRUE. I forgot about the spotty wi-fi (actually non-existent the further west my train went) and the slow, slow plodding of the train toward our destination.

The food bar and the restroom that were featured in the pic - yep, that's exactly how they looked on the trains that I've been on. To find a silver lining behind the cloud, I will say since you won't have internet access you can read a book without distracting yourself or pass the time in the observation deck looking at forgotten towns as you pass through or at the mottled forests. Lol, I loved this article.

When I was riding Amtrak on the Northeast Corridor pretty much weekly, I caved and put Verizon unlimited with mobile hotspot on my smartphone. I was trying to work on a 4 1/2 hour train ride. It would have been impossible using the train WiFi. If it worked at all, it was like using two tin cans and a string.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:54 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,387,704 times
We took the train from Melbourne to Sydney Australia. Never saw so many sheep in my life.

The narrow gauge in Costa Rica was fun.

Pennsylvania RR, NY to Chicago, before AMTRAK was invented.

Panama RR, Atlantic to Pacific and back in one day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel