Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 05:57 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

Kevin Smith Airplane controversy - bounced from... | Gather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
SWA gave him $10M of free publicity. I hate Southwest, will only fly them if no alternative.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:24 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times
Wait a minute. As this news report indicates, that he had initially bought two seats for his travel. He claimed in other news reports that his girth did not require two seats but that he likes the extra space and SWA's cheap fares make such a choice affordable.

Then he switched flights to go standby on anther flight and on this flight there was only one seat left. THAT is when the trouble began and he was asked to get off the plane, even though he reportedly could get the armrests down.

This does not strike me as credible. How many people of reasonably normal size buy two seats just for the heck of it? He's a big guy, and he even had two seats allowing him to fly comfortably. But he decided on his own to forgo his two seats and go standby on an earlier flight. Then he gets hacked off becasue SWA asks him to leave? I don't have much sympathy for him.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,689,159 times
Southwest's cheap fares make such a choice affordable??????
Why does a big time movie director worry about $89 to be comfortable? Why is he even flying with the sweaty peasants for that matter?

Net Jets, and Flight Options give you all of the room you could ever want, and fly on your schedule.

Bill Gates was the richest man in the world, and was still flying coach until his buddy Warren Buffet explained the benefits of private jets. Wealth has its benefits.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
How many people of reasonably normal size buy two seats just for the heck of it?
Its cheaper and a lot more room than buying a business class seat. I flew a few weeks ago across the US. Two seats were $600, Business class was $1100. What do you think is the better deal to not feel like a piece of meat for 6 hours.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:33 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,437 times
I think Kevin Smith was out of line. He knew the Southwest policies and as the previously poster mentioned, bought two seats for his first flight. It isn't Southwest's fault that there was only one seat available and he needed two.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:22 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
I believe it's a dangerous game when we as a nation say it's OK to make exceptions for obesity. The fatter our population gets the more people say to placate by making special seats etc... Then we're saying it's OK to be fat.
We need to be tougher for our kids sake.
With all his money you'd think he could afford quality food and sensibility about his diet.
Obesity means heart disease, stroke, diabetes, cancer etc... And that's a fact.
I'm sure he had a heard time putting down the arm rests to fit in. I certainly wouldn't sit next to him. What if an emergency happens?
The fuss he's making says loads about his personality.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:14 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
With all his money you'd think he could afford quality food and sensibility about his diet.
I guess you should be judged on what you earn.

I guess you cook every meal from scratch. You have no pre-made frozen meals in your freezer, right?

Ever read the label on Smart Ones? google each one of the ingredients. Its no longer quantity that is the issue, its now the lack of quality. Did you know a bottle of flavored Aquafina has 3X the amount of sodium than a bottle of Coke.

Not everyone can afford to go to Whole Foods for additive-free frozen meals.

Quote:
I believe it's a dangerous game when we as a nation say it's OK to make exceptions for obesity.
When will we hold food companies accountable for what they put in our food?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:27 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Sorry; I didn't mean to hit a nerve?

Old 02-19-2010, 05:00 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I guess you should be judged on what you earn.

I guess you cook every meal from scratch. You have no pre-made frozen meals in your freezer, right?

Ever read the label on Smart Ones? google each one of the ingredients. Its no longer quantity that is the issue, its now the lack of quality. Did you know a bottle of flavored Aquafina has 3X the amount of sodium than a bottle of Coke.

Not everyone can afford to go to Whole Foods for additive-free frozen meals.

When will we hold food companies accountable for what they put in our food?
BS--If the consumers didn't buy it, the food companies would change their business models. We need to hold the consumers equally accountable for buying the crap!

I have no frozen dinners in my freezer with the exception of some leftovers of from scratch meals I've cooked and then frozen some of the extras in individual portions. Open the door and you'll find frozen vegetables, meats, and some ice creams. You might also find some 100% juice pops that I make myself for when kids visit. I don't shop at Whole Foods by the way.

I make all meals from scratch. It's really not that difficult or time consuming (I've got some shrimp steaming right now to make ceviche with after I get home from work). The health and weight benefits are well worth it.

98% or more of the obese people in this country have the ability to control their weight, they simply choose not to. There are a few that have medical conditions, and I have compassion for them. But those people are very few and far between.

Why should those who choose to gorge themselves on garbage be rewarded with larger seats or free seats--ultimately paid for by the rest of us in decreased load capacities and increased fuel costs due to weight?

The answer is simple. IT'S NOT OK TO BE FAT! Get off your lardass, lose weight, eat right, excercise, and be healthy. If you choose to slowly kill yourself, then don't ask for my ticket to be higher to accomodate your girth, don't ask for my health insurance to be higher to pay for your obesity related illness, and don't ask for a dime of my tax money to pay for your medicais when you become disabled due to something you did to yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel