Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:42 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times

Advertisements

As Eureka says, you meet more people traveling solo than you do in a pair or group. It can really enrich your trip.
We've discussed this here before, you might find some insight in this thread:
Traveling Alone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:06 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
always vacation alone...no issues. If you keep yourself occupied (which is pretty easy to do on vacation) then feeling lonely is not going to be an issue.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 PM

2,518 posts, read 5,357,099 times
Do some planning before you go, make a list of must-see things and a second list of things you'd like to see and do if you have the time to.

Travelling alone means you have the freedom to wander where you please at your leisure. So much more relaxing than trying to keep up with someone else, or vice versa. You can go to eat where you like and not have to try to make compromises with a travelling companion.

I went to Slovenia on my own earlier this year and had a wonderful time, doing things at my own pace

Old 04-05-2010, 08:35 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I'll tell you why I like traveling alone.

If i want to skip breakfast, I can do so and mot wait around at the hotel. If I find out about this great sushi place, I can head there without worrying that the person that I am with will not try it.

If I feel like sleeping in or watching a movie at the hotel, I can.

If I get into a 45 minute conversation with a curator or a docent at a museum, I do NOT have to cut the discussion short.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
Lots of people travel alone - maybe it's less common in the States, but most tourists from Europe etc that come here are travelling alone, and many young people go off by themselves. It's a great way to meet people and to get you out of your comfort zone. People make such a big deal about eating alone at a restaurant - in fact I find it's kind of an excuse, 'it's not that I don't have any friends, I'm just not from around here!' Also easier to start up conversations being a tourist than it would be towards a random stranger at home. Travelling with others can be nice when you get to share the experience, but there are also alot of downsides. Nowadays there are also websites where you can meet travelling partners for part or all of your trip, which I find is sometimes better than going with friends and family and having the same old fights. Anyway, I highly recommend it!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
I've done most of my traveling alone for many of the same reasons the OP listed. My suggestion: The Philippines. Beautiful beaches, beautiful girls, everyone speaks English. What more could you ask for? If you do a little planning online you can find cheap, clean places to stay. The local food is good and cheap too. In fact the only major expense is the air fare (usually over $1000 from the East coast).

Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
sometimes it is a bit difficult to eat in a restaurant if you want to try many different dishes, there is only so much you can eat and I hate to waste food - the best thing is to have a refridgerator and microwave in your hotel so that you can order a few things if you want and take the rest home.

I remember when I was in Salzburg, at St. Peterskeller, one of the oldest restaurants in the world... I wanted to try their very famous Salzburger Nockerl (a kind of soufflé) and I was alone... unfortunately, the dish comes only in a minimum size for 3 people. I ordered it anyway but could eat only 40% of it and yes, others were looking at me very strangely why I had ordered such a big thing for myself...but oh well, I felt bad wasting 60% of it so that sucked but the Nockerl was great.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:48 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Warning! Traveling alone will spoil you rotten! Try it a couple times, and you'll do it again and again and again.
I agree. You get up when you want and see the things you want to see. After going solo for several years, I 've done a couple with groups of friends. It was nice a couple times to have meals with people, but I hated the 'group think' when it came to activities. I'm selfish in travel...heck its MY vacation.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:24 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I have traveled extensively on my own through New Zealand, Australia and the UK. I see to do fine with it, but I also like my alone time. I'm sure some days go by without me saying more than 10 words.

However there are a lot of times where it would have been nice to have someone along for the company.

I did one group tour in college and it went really well and I'd do tours again and actually I prefer them if going to unknown countries and regions. I'd rather be able to have a tour guide with a lot of info and get to have a feel of the "lay of the land" before going on my own.

Old 04-11-2010, 05:24 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
See the USA. Avoid tourist traps. Stop at motels with well lighted parking areas and ask for a late check out. I usually stay at Best Western because the price is moderate for the accommodations and they are usually near a restaurant.

One of the states I really enjoy visiting is Louisiana. I start at the NW corner in the rose gardens at Shreveport. Then I go to Natchitoches (Nack-eh-dish) - the town where the movie Steel Magnolias was filmed. It is the oldest continuously settled community on the Louisiana Trace. Francisville has a beautiful CW catholic church with relics from the CW and some very interesting pieces from Italy and Russia. Then I go to Cajun country with the bayou and people who enjoy life. One of the best buffets I found for a very long time is Gonzales. It's about 50 miles west of New Orleans.

Louisiana is a state that loves to dress up for Christmas. The rose garden adds a million lights and the very nice gift shop is open. One of the things that intrigues me the most about this state is the newspapers and city magazines are usually well written and edited.
http://www,shreveporttimes.com/ and the http://www.sbmag,net/ . Shreveport Travel, City of Shreveport Tourism: WorldWeb.com lists the museums and other attractions.

The mall at Shreveport has an awesome bookstore and music store. I was not disappointed by either,.If you like to dabble with the slot machines, you will find it too. Wgeb we returned home we drove up 1-55 and stopped at a Civil War battlefield. I cannot think of the name of the town, but, a Civil War battleship was being restored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel