Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 PM

337 posts, read 663,688 times

Advertisements

I often wanted to take a summer and travel America by train, riding in a private car where I could see the landsacpe out the large windows.

Doesn anyone know if this is even doable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,908,339 times
yes. its called amtrak.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
I often wanted to take a summer and travel America by train, riding in a private car where I could see the landsacpe out the large windows.

.................................................. ................................................

Absolutely. You need to bear some things in mind though. Amtrak's routes are limited. I have done something similar and would be happy to suggest an itinerary. What city would you begin your travel from? North/South routes on Amtrak are particularly limited. You can go from Seattle to San Diego on the West Coast. However, moving east there are no other North/South routes until you get to New Orleans. Than you can take a train between New Orleans and Chicago.

We learned some lessons doing this. Trains have died so much as a means of transportation that it is difficult to find much of an infrastructure around train stations. There are very few decent hotels within walking distance. Rental car facilities are seldom located near train stations. Nor, will you find good restaurants in the majority of cities anywhere near the train station. Exceptions exist though. There are such facilities around the Los Angeles, Chicago, and Washington, D.C. stations.

Amtrak is bigger in the East than in the West because of territory and population density.

Give me some details and I'll be happy to help you plan a trip and share my experiences.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:17 AM

43,668 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Some years ago a distant relative of mine flew from California to NY and then returned in the other direction by train. She had some kind of ticket that allowed her to fly in one direction and return by train in the other direction making as many stops as she wanted along the way.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:41 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Try going to the Amtrak website and play around with it. Once you have an idea of what route you want, plug in some dates and see what it gives you. Not sure if things have changed, but it use to be for the private rooms, they would charge one price for rooms until a certain number had been sold. Then the price goes up until so many more rooms have been sold. Then the price goes up again. So it pays to play around with the date of travel. By leaving a couple days sooner or later than your original date you could save several hundred dollars. Also, they usually offer a couple different options on how to get from point A to Point B. Sometimes the long way around will be cheaper than the direct route. The private rooms tend to sell out, so getting one at the last minute can be tough and will be very pricy.

One other thing to watch out for. Even though Amtrak may show they go someplace, it might not actually be by the train. To get to several of their destinations, at some point you might have to transfer to a bus operated for Amtrak.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:02 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanceryan View Post

Check this one out:

American Orient Express

Old 04-12-2010, 03:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Check this one out:

American Orient Express
Dead link. If you read the page you will discover that the last year this was a viable travel option was 2008.

Bankrupt....

Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Dead link. If you read the page you will discover that the last year this was a viable travel option was 2008.

Bankrupt....
Too bad. We had looked at this a couple years ago and didn't realize they went broke.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Yeah, I hate when cool things like that go out of business. I think Obama should give them some of that money instead of the jerks on Wall Street.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:50 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
USA by train is best done "Hopping - Freight" Certainly faster & cheaper, possible safer.
Its kinda fun / exciting / adventurous (but been over 3 yrs since I chose that method, tho looking probable in the future.)
hobo + train - Google Search

How-to-do
..HoBo LiNkS.. (lot's-o-dead-links)
Hobo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel