Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:25 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
No, I'm expecting adults to be considerate and responsible, 2 qualities which are very rare today. My parents didn't take me or my siblings on flights until we were old enough to be controlled. My parents did get embarrassed when we were loud or uncontrollable in a place that wasn't specifically made for kids. It's about taking responsibility for YOUR kids. The world doesn't revolve around your kids, it's your responsibility to make sure your kids can handle a situation, or you make other accommodations.
I think you have a selective memory regarding your own childhood. It is usually the elderly that seem to be the most understanding about children in public places because they have gone through it all themselves. I find it is the young, self-centered yuppie scumbags that are the most critical of children in public places, since they have no experience from the parent's perspective. If what you said was true it would be the elderly criticizing parents not the young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM

280 posts, read 247,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Just wow that you think others want to be subjected to your kids tantrums.
The inconsideration is ridiculous. I hope I have kids and if I do and they go crazy in public, I'll adjust. I won't expect others to deal with my kids just the same as I don't expect to have to deal with others people's unrulely kids on flights or in nice restaurants.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:45 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Just wow that you think others want to be subjected to your kids tantrums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanofavatar1 View Post
The inconsideration is ridiculous. I hope I have kids and if I do and they go crazy in public, I'll adjust. I won't expect others to deal with my kids just the same as I don't expect to have to deal with others people's unrulely kids on flights or in nice restaurants.
What you're not realizing is that we're all laughing at you! lol

Keep the complaints coming, it's very entertaining.

Then when you finally are lucky enough to have a couple of kids and finally wake up to the reality of parenting, come back to this thread and tell us what's up.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:53 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
What is entertaining is the lack of control you seemingly may have over your children. So who really is the parent then?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
What is entertaining is the lack of control you seemingly may have over your children. So who really is the parent then?
Children are independent beings of which no one has complete control over; you as a parent are there to guide, discipline and educate so they grow up to be functioning human beings. A parent is not there to control every aspect of a child's existance, just to guide it. They are not pets, though that is how a lot of the "childfree" like yourself make them out to be. Your comments are so ignorant that I almost feel sorry for you that you cannot grasp this.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,899 times
Perhaps you are being ignorant by assuming I am child free!! Your outlook in parenting will make a self-indulgent spoiled child. Guide them yes, discipline them yes..let them control you and the situation NO.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM

138 posts, read 492,105 times
how are kids supposed to learn to behave 'in public' if their parents never bring them out because they're worried about somebody being somewhat inconvienced due to noise or a bouncing ball or whatever ?

parents need to expose their kids to things - thats how they learn stuff, and what is OK behaviour and what isn't. OF COURSE this doesn't mean let them run wild without reeling them in.

Anyone who has zero tolerance for kids behaviour is as bad as a negligent (sp) parent.

back to the OP:
we took our toddler (21 months) on a 15 hour flight, and he was fine.
it DOES take energy, because you need to mind them even when you're tired, and the forum isn't best for keeping them busy, but it was great fun, overall. Go for it.

And fwiw, if baby is loud, take him to the back of the plane and rock them. You can barely hear them over the jet sounds. There were 9 infants on our flight and i don't think (could be wrong) that any other passengers had a horrible time because of the kids.

Last edited by Luke Zing; 05-25-2010 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: spelling/grammer

Old 05-25-2010, 01:39 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
how are kids supposed to learn to behave 'in public' if their parents never bring them out because they're worried about somebody being somewhat inconvienced due to noise or a bouncing ball or whatever ?

parents need to expose their kids to things - thats how they learn stuff, and what is OK behaviour and what isn't. OF COURSE this doesn't mean let them run wild without reeling them in.

Anyone who has zero tolerance for kids behaviour is as bad as a negligent (sp) parent.

back to the OP:
we took our toddler (21 months) on a 15 hour flight, and he was fine.
it DOES take energy, because you need to mind them even when you're tired, and the forum isn't best for keeping them busy, but it was great fun, overall. Go for it.

And fwiw, if baby is loud, take him to the back of the plane and rock them. You can barely hear them over the jet sounds. There were 9 infants on our flight and i don't think (could be wrong) that any other passengers had a horrible time because of the kids.

C'mon man, the last thing we need is logic.

Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you are being ignorant by assuming I am child free!! Your outlook in parenting will make a self-indulgent spoiled child. Guide them yes, discipline them yes..let them control you and the situation NO.
Didn't you call us all breeders? That is the lingo that the child hating, negative population growth crowd uses. To those of us with kids (and are aware) those are fighting words!

Old 05-25-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
Yes!!!! I totally agree! That is why I hate that whole helicopter parent thing too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel