Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 06:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I read a few years ago 5% of the UK's GDP is from American tourism. Not a small number in the scheme of things.

Around 5 years ago when I was working in Colorado, I met a wealthy brit family who's source of wealth was from gift shops in the UK that catered to American tourists. At the time they were complaining because the pound was starting to be so strong it was keeping Americans away from the UK.
UK GDP is around $2 Trillion/year. Are you suggesting that US tourism in the UK is worth $100 billion/year?

"Jeff Hamblin, CEO of the British Tourist Authority, told CNN last year: "Roughly one in every five dollars spent in Britain by overseas visitors is spent by Americans, and last year 4.1 million Americans came here, and they spent close to US$4 billion.""

So that would be 0.2% of GDP.

As the UK is the top European destination for US tourists, that percentage would be even lower for Europe as a whole. So. really not a material number in terms of technology decisions being made by European financial institutions.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 06-02-2010 at 06:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,817,498 times
This is really a matter of choice.

If one wants to visit a place (I am obviously talking about tourism here, work-related trips usually have to be taken whether one wants to go or not) and this place is not adapted to one's convenience, would one go there anyway, enjoy the trip and adapt to circumstances, or just say "I know this is your place, but is either my way or I will go somewhere else"?

A matter of choice only.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
I don't expect a foreign country to adapt anything for my convenience. I just want to know in advance if my credit card will work or not.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:43 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,929,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't expect a foreign country to adapt anything for my convenience. I just want to know in advance if my credit card will work or not.
Right now it will. Both technologies are still supported in most locations.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,687,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
call your credit card company. depending on you card and relationship they may send you another card with chip incase you mag card can't be used.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,683,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Due to the rise of identity theft, it is good idea to inform the companies/banks that issue your credit/debit cards before leaving the USA on any trip outside the USA. Sometimes if you don't do this, the cards get blocked when you try to use them overseas.
It's happened to me and I've had to call them from within the country with my world cell phone. I tried the notification thing and that didn't work.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:31 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,805,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Due to the rise of identity theft, it is good idea to inform the companies/banks that issue your credit/debit cards before leaving the USA on any trip outside the USA. Sometimes if you don't do this, the cards get blocked when you try to use them overseas.
I've had that happen, and thanx for reminding me.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:39 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Eventually U.S. cards won't work in Europe at all as the mag stripe is phased out there. Right now mag stripes are still used as a "backup" during the transition period but eventually they'll stop accepting mag-stripe transactions altogether.

I love this quote from the article: "It's difficult for U.S. financial institutions to switch to the chip-and-PIN standard because they've invested heavily in the old technology. It'd cost the industry about $8.6 billion to convert, says consulting firm Javelin Strategy & Research." What, and they think it didn't cost European institutions anything to convert? Their infrastructure was heavily invested in mag-stripe technology too, but they're converting to chip technology anyway because they figured out that it would cost less over time to convert than to keep eating losses caused by easily forged mag-stripe cards.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:32 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Eventually U.S. cards won't work in Europe at all as the mag stripe is phased out there.
Once again, there is always the option of manually putting the card details into the card machine or computer. That is never going to change.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:26 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,184,604 times
Wow, I was surprised by this thread as I wasn't aware of this issue. Since '05 I haven't been abroad anywhere other than in Mexico and I don't use credit cards or even ATMs there.

Sooo, we're about the last ones in everything these days, huh... That's what I found while researching:

Smart credit cards arrive in U.S. -- finally

Judging by the post below, I'm not sure if the issue is limited to credit cards only or not... I'm not finding any info about problems with getting cash from ATMs and I don't get why the poster below talks about ATMs and credit cards in the same sentence...

Has anybody experienced problems getting cash from ATMs in Canada?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Not because of the chip vs strip technologies.

I've actually had that problems using my card in Canada. The ATMs and merchants would not accept my credit card. It wasn't running properly. I didn't think much of it as I had used the same card throughout the UK and Europe while living over there for a 6 month stay. Back stateside I was going to spend a weekend in Toronto and figured I'd just pull cash once I crossed to have some Canadian currency .......... and was stuck relying on a limited amount of american dollars for the entire weekend.

It sucked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel