Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2013, 08:49 AM

6 posts, read 21,238 times

Advertisements

I am living on a $4,000 per month pension and have a family of 4 (spouse and two girls 4 and 6 years old). Am keen on moving back to the Tri Cities but am not sure I can afford it. My wife may seek work as a caregiver or other low paying job but I am not expectingy additional income. Is it possible to make a go of it by renting or leasing? I do not want to live in a run down part of town and would prefer somewhere close to a bus route. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM

11 posts, read 43,859 times
I think so.

We just moved to West Pasco. We are renting a newer house in a nice neighborhood. It's very quiet and the neighbors are great. Lots of young families and children here. We are paying $1100 for a 3 bedroom. It's 1300 sq ft. There is a yard that's decent size. I would guess it's .17 of an acre maybe?

We usually spend between $3000-$3500 a month total for the 4 of us (2 parents, 2 small children). We are pretty thrifty though and don't have a lot of nice things (phones, cars, vacations). I still think you could do quite well on $4000 unless you buy a lot of stuff.

The only downside is that we've been told by many people that the schools in Pasco are not that great. Overcrowded and just not the best in the area. When we buy a house, we will probably buy in Kennewick or Richland due to schools.

Old 01-01-2013, 10:17 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
I agree, you won't have any trouble affording the area, the cost of housing is still relatively low, but choose carefully to get into one of the few good schools there. Ruth Livingston is the best in Pasco, but is about the same as all of the schools in Richland, and the best are in Kennewick. The median family income in Kennewick is just $4,250/mo so you would fit right in with just your retirement, any additional part time jobs should be enough to live comfortably.

Old 01-02-2013, 01:36 AM

6 posts, read 21,238 times
Thanks so much for the replies! Great to know that it is doable, I guess my biggest fear is that as the children get older so will the expenses and on a fixed income it may become too much for us. Would try and save as much as possbile but I am not a born saver. If we make the move I think the wife will definetely be working at some level as she really wants to and is only 30 years old and not quite ready for retirement.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,666,349 times
Agreed, that income is enough to live in the Tri-Cities. May not be a life of luxury, but definitely enough to live a decent life. College for kids is probably another thread, but if they stay in-state that will help.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM

541 posts, read 1,730,784 times
As everyone else has said, it is enough. You won't live in the lap of luxury, but you can get by. Many worse off that can still get by there. I think you can live rather comfortably there. I would look around Pasco-West Pasco and maybe even Finley or West Richland. Parts of Kennewick would be within the price range too. Best of luck to you.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:35 PM

82 posts, read 325,119 times
One of the aspects of affordability here that is often overlooked, is the free or low cost events for families. There is so much free outdoor events from May to September, lots of local low cost sponsored events all year, lots of outdoor options, and one of the best public library systems of any area I've ever lived in. On a budget you can keep the family busy and not feel like you're missing out. Added to reasonable housing and food costs, I think your budget is definitely manageable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities