Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:47 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have a good idea of whether airborne mold levels in the Tri-Cities area are consistently low?

It doesn't look like anyone is actually doing measurements. I would expect those mold levels to be low, but then again, other places with semi-arid climates in the same general part of the country sometimes have medium or even high mold levels. For instance, Twin Falls, ID has had high mold levels this past week:

The American Academy of Allergy, Asthma & Immunology | AAAAI

I think I'd be better off health-wise at a lower altitude. (I suspect I am more sensitive to barometric pressure changes than I used to be, due to relocating to a city with a much higher elevation than what I was used to before.) But it's also imperative that I avoice cities with high airborne mold levels.

I am taking a second look at Tri-Cities for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 06:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,880,044 times
I noticed no responses to this, perhaps because it doesn't appear to be a major issue in Tri-Cities. Plus, info on this particular allergy is somewhat difficult to find. Higher elevation does seem to correlate with airborne mold as seen on this one day map:

https://weather.com/maps/health/allergies/moldspores

Note that mold seems to be highest in the Rockies, and some Rocky Mountain valley locations, then secondly in humid areas. Tri-Cities is low in elevation and low in humidity. I can't find a map showing the year-round average.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:00 PM

Thanks for your reply. I'm not convinced mold is more prevalent at higher elevations. (I do suspect higher elevations are worse for people like me who have extreme sensitivity to barometric pressure changes.) Certainly some of the highest mold concentrations are in locations relatively close to sea level. Also, while that mold map is handy, it's very incomplete and misleading. For instance, you could never tell from it that mold has been present at the Extreme level, in Philadelphia (where I lived previously):

Pollen Counts - Asthma Center

The mold map defines some high-risk areas (for mold allergy sufferers), but it's not very finely tuned.

I think I will try to contact an allergist in or near Twin Cities.

Old 07-23-2016, 08:35 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,440,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Thanks for your reply. I'm not convinced mold is more prevalent at higher elevations. (I do suspect higher elevations are worse for people like me who have extreme sensitivity to barometric pressure changes.) Certainly some of the highest mold concentrations are in locations relatively close to sea level. Also, while that mold map is handy, it's very incomplete and misleading. For instance, you could never tell from it that mold has been present at the Extreme level, in Philadelphia (where I lived previously):

Pollen Counts - Asthma Center

The mold map defines some high-risk areas (for mold allergy sufferers), but it's not very finely tuned.

I think I will try to contact an allergist in or near Twin Cities.
Always a great idea to contact a local allergy clinic or tv station that posts different allergans.

As you know, mold is different than most allergans. Mold is "living" for lack of better, simplistic words. It sounds like you want Spore counts.

Personally, I'm not so sure mold isn't as prevalent in certain higher altitude locations. Will you please share your source for your first statement? There are different types of mold. All it takes is water and heat in the wrong place and mold begins. I'm also allergic to mold and have had bad reactions at various altitudes. I can tell you within a minute if a house anywhere has mold.

Looking forward to your response and source.

MSR

Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM

Check what the CDC says about mold: CDC - Mold - General Information - Basic Facts

Also, you used Twin Falls, ID in your first post. There are more allergists practicing in Twin Falls vs. all of southern WA. If you add Yakima to the Tri-Cities area, then you have about as many allergists as practice in Twin Falls.

It may be Pulmonary or ENT cover allergy primarily in the Tri-Cities area. So you may need to check a few resources to find the clinic who may know.

While Tri-Cities has experienced a double digit influx of residents, the same is not true for all medical specialties. One allergist......

MSR

Old 07-23-2016, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
Personally, I'm not so sure mold isn't as prevalent in certain higher altitude locations. Will you please share your source for your first statement?
I never claimed there was a link between higher elevation and the prevelance of mold. I just made an aside about also wanting a place at a lower elevation (because I suspect living at a higher elevation might have increased my sensitivity to barometric pressure changes), that pnwguy2 misunderstood as being mold-related. I probably didn't make myself clear enough in my original post.

This might better explain what I'm looking for in general:

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...-have-low.html

Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM

As I sent in an email to a friend once:
"Molds are members of the fungus family and can be found wherever there is moisture and oxygen."

I found this on an allergy information web-site. This is very helpful. All I need to do is move somewhere without any moisture and oxygen.
(I'm really more concerned with outdoor mold spore counts though. Indoor mold can be anywhere.)

Old 07-23-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
As I sent in an email to a friend once:
"Molds are members of the fungus family and can be found wherever there is moisture and oxygen."

I found this on an allergy information web-site. This is very helpful. All I need to do is move somewhere without any moisture and oxygen.
(I'm really more concerned with outdoor mold spore counts though. Indoor mold can be anywhere.)
Mold are fungi. They are all spores. Heavier frosts for longer periods of time inactivate outside mold the longest. Living in environments where pH can be anywhere from <3 - > 9 and outside mold can grow, I'd think your best answers would be from the professional allergy societies and foundations, but mostly your own allergist.

I'd recommend talking to your current allergist. Ask him/her where are the best locations to live for outside mold. It may be modification you do that helps the most. But only your allergist can review your level of allergy, all your daily allergy meds and your options.

I do realize you don't necessarily want this, but others might given that mold is separated from other allergens.

https://weather.com/forecast/allergy/l/USWA0373:1:US

Good luck and please post in the Allergy forum (Health Forum) with the info you learn!

MSR

Old 07-25-2016, 03:35 PM

I wonder if the higher concentration of mold in the air in Twin Falls (compared to Boise) is due to closer proximity to the Great Salt Lake. Going by the mold map, as flawed as it is, it does seem as if higher mold levels are in that part of the country emanate from Salt Lake City and spread out.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the higher concentration of mold in the air in Twin Falls (compared to Boise) is due to closer proximity to the Great Salt Lake. Going by the mold map, as flawed as it is, it does seem as if higher mold levels are in that part of the country emanate from Salt Lake City and spread out.
No proof of that, unless you have documentation. There are many other factors.

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities