Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 03:09 PM

17 posts, read 74,915 times

Advertisements

We currently live in the Midwest and would like to relocate to the Pacific Northwest someday. The Tri-Cities area has caught our eye. We’ve seen several job ads for PNNL and were wondering how easy (or hard) it is to get a job there? Are they doing a lot of hiring now?

More specifics: my hubby has a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science with about 25 years experience working in programming and analysis. He is not an electrical or mechanical engineer, but more like a software engineer. He’s worked with many different languages and on many different computing platforms. What he doesn’t know, he can pick up pretty quickly.

But with 25 years experience that puts him in his upper 40’s. Does PNNL like to hire mostly young guys (or gals)? Or do they hire more ‘seasoned vets’ too? I know age-discrimination is illegal, but companies sometimes say ‘you are over-qualified’.

What are the interviews like?

How hard is it to get the security clearance? How long would something like that take and how does the process start?

What is the work culture like? Is it friendly, competitive, team-oriented, etc? Is is pretty much a 40-hour week or do people work a lot of overtime? Or does it depend on the department?

We would appreciate any info that can be provided.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 11:36 PM

38 posts, read 161,262 times
Check out Lockheed Martin. Also, google TRIDEC and check with them. They might help narrowing down companies that have positions that fit your husband's criteria. Better jump on it, as we are in the beginning stages of a hiring upswing here. CH2MHill just sponsored a job fair for Hanford contractors for 300 job openings and over 1500 people showed up in 2 days! Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 01:37 AM

2 posts, read 11,525 times
I've worked at Battelle for ~20 years (though not at PNNL now). I work in life sciences, so my experience may differ from the rest of the outfit...

Your husband's experience is definitely in his favor, from what I've seen. In fact, my daughter just graduated last year in MIS and has been frustrated by the fact that all the openings require 5/7/10 years experience. Somebody actually suggested she go back to school and apply for one of the college internships as a foot in the door. They want the best and the brightest, and a good long track record is a big plus.

OTOH, Battelle's corporate culture definitely favors advanced degrees. It wasn't too long ago you couldn't even make it into management without a PhD, though that seems to have eased a bit in recent years. Another thing is that the scientific/technical staff are some of the brightest, most hard-working I've ever had the privilege to know. (Tangent: I was in the waiting room for my annual physical one year and some new recruits to another company were enthusiastically discussing their new jobs. They were especially excited about the "eight nines" schedule, working 9 hr/day and getting every other Friday off. One old Battelle guy piped up: "You should come to work at PNNL—work 12 hr/day and get every other Sunday off!") There is definitely a pronounced "Geek Vibe" here, and it can show up in the interviews—they sometimes don't seem to know what to ask to let you show your stuff. Be ready to fill in the blanks even if they don't ask the right questions. Also, as I said, we pride ourselves on our work ethic: letting them know you like to work long and hard (assuming you do) would be a plus.

Unfortunately, while the "eggheads" are great, my experience with the admin types has been less stellar. I applied to several positions before I was finally hired; I drove over from Pullman (~150 mi) for my first interview, and was met at the door by a very confused chemist—seems HR never bothered to tell anyone I was coming. Worse, all the scientists I needed to see were off at a meeting that week… Another time, I met with a senior scientist who really wanted to hire me. He told me to wait until the requistion (which he composed from my CV) was posted (pre-internet) and send my CV to HR. Two weeks after the post, he called to see why I hadn't applied. I told him I had, and he called HR to find out that, yes, they had my application, but it "didn't seem to match the req." I had a nearly identical experience trying to hire someone last year, so it seems things haven't improved much in 20 yr.

I haven't had a security clearance in many years, and as far as I know, it depends very much on where in the organization you work. When I DID need the clearance, they hired me with the stipulation that I be ABLE to obtain it; they had enough other work to keep me busy while the clearance was processed (3-6 mo for mine, longer for higher level). Some positions may require the clearance before they make the offer. The process itself was pretty simple for the new hire: fill out a 6-8 p. questionaire, listing everything you've done, everyone you've met, and every place you've been for your whole life [no kidding] ;-) get fingerprinted at your local police dept., and wait for the machine to finish grinding. If you're clean, it should be a breeze.

Once you're in, it's an incredible, supportive family. The work is demanding but rewarding. People tend to either leave within a year, or stay for the rest of their careers. The median service time in my department of 100 is ~13 yr, 16 for senior staff, 9 for technicians. As far as hours, I've seen all types: some put in only 40-45 hr a week, but are so intense they get it all done, others need more time, and coworkers seem to be accepting of both—you're really judged by what you get done. It also varies through the year by what you're working on. Of course, my last boss told me sometimes we'd have to work 12 hr/day, 7 days a week, but other times we could take a 2 hr lunch—never did see that 2 hr lunch… I left the building last Friday night at 7:30 and I wasn't the last one out.

This is probably all TMI—best of luck and let us know if there's anything we can do to help!

Old 05-21-2009, 06:06 PM

17 posts, read 74,915 times
Thanks so much for the response! We aren't sure what we are doing yet - may just stay put for a year or two - but we appreciate the info!

Old 05-25-2009, 11:27 PM

11 posts, read 52,501 times
I am new at PNNL and it seems that heymikey74 is accurate on all accounts. I think your husband would be in much demand. There is a need for quality software development. In our division, software gets developed ad hoc and is brutal to maintain or adapt. The problem is that not enough thought (..time) was given to a good software architecture. So stuff gets done for the short-term but actually takes longer in the long-term.. not sure if that makes sense Best wishes

Old 06-09-2009, 03:03 PM

6 posts, read 20,809 times
Hi: I am wondering what the promotion opportunities are at PNNL. Do they keep people at the same level for eternity?

I know of people who work for a certain gov't lab where you need to kiss a** and be someone's pet to get promoted.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:25 PM

I don't get that impression at all - not in the lab I'm in. It seems to be all about what you put out. People around me have a strong work ethic. If they were just trying to kiss butt, I doubt I would see that.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:37 PM

6 posts, read 20,809 times
thanks for your answer, bigbobbadoobob!

Old 10-14-2009, 08:55 AM

1 posts, read 6,808 times
Default Other thoughs on taking offer from PNNL

Hi Folks:

I guess that folks in this forum are not clear in term of working at PNNL.

A few issues were not discussed previously in this forum!!!

1) POLITICS is an important player in job promotions and advancement at PNNL. This is WELL-KNOWN and DOCUMENTED.

2) Chemical and nuclear polluted environments. Are they WELL-KNOWN??!!

3) Desert-like climate or weather!!! Increased dust/sand storms in recent years!!!

4) Unfriendly co-workers at PNNL??!!

5) The cheap living cost is based on how you can handle above!!!

Think twice when taking offers from PNNL, folks!!!

Old 10-16-2009, 11:58 PM

I'd just like to point out that you're missing an icon following point #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities