Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 04:02 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

I've often wondered if the murdered were to be the judges at their trial, and have the power to sentence the murderers, how this would effect their sentencing?

Particularly, when the background of the defendant is well-known and well-researched, which might illicit some compassion.

How many of the murdered might just interrupt the family members crying Death Sentence! Death Sentence! and say: Rather than give this person life without parole, give him 7-10 years like they might do in Europe, and allocate the rest of the money we would have spent on him to a charitable cause, like a shelter for battered women?

Would you go so far as carrying a card, with instructions/conditions, in case you were killed, even in a car accident, to be read by the judge and jury to potentially show some leniency for the killer/murderer?

Myself, some leniency to anyone to where my death was instant/painless. If left brain-dead, hooked up to tubes for years on end, permanently disabled, I suffered a long painful death, then? Life without parole!

Last edited by tijlover; 07-11-2010 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: Add a line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:53 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Wow, what a question. I guess forgiveness is the best antidote for anything, but, personally, I'm not sure I could stretch it that far. Is there redemption for people who do horrible crimes? Should there be? Are some people beyond it? And, questions about a "soul" come up here, too. It gets into philosophical/spritual areas. Is there karma for killers? And, that whole area. Personally, I think murder, rape, child abuse offenders might be in for some pretty heavy karma when they pass away... Do they ever think about that part of it?

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 07-11-2010 at 09:08 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 07:38 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,228,021 times
This is deep, tijlover.

I am going to go with no. I think that trying to control independent actors is difficult but impossible when your dead. I would have to literally consider every variation, every background, every possibility and in the end, it would be a waste of time. Just because the state takes on the role of the victim. It seems that it would be far easier to prepare my family for my death. This is the group of people that will struggle.

I had been planning on writing a letter to my son, who will be 9 next month. I might end up with a book, cause I'm lengthy. If you look at your life as ending at any moment then you, obviously, have to include all the details of things......like, sex without a condom or don't use toilet paper to clean your ear because it might get stuck...always ALWAYS ALWAYS use a Q-tip. And do this while you are alone because someone might bump you and send the sucker in. Or, statistically, the vast majority of ER cases are around the nose, something has been either stuck up there or its your finger. Lets really think about that. Or, there is going to come a day when you can't remember what I look like, and that ...........is ok. It doesn't mean that you forgot me or that you have betrayed me. I'm still with you. It is how the brain works. You and I have a bond that can never be broken. Your job is to move on. It is ok for you to be happy. I want you to be happy.

That is what it boils down to. Being strong enough within your family that they already know what you would have wanted. We had a brutal slaying of a couple in a city. They had dedicated their lives to helping people. It is a city that has been rocked with violence for a very long time. However, these people knew how the system worked and had been the .......staples of a community and in one that has been written off years ago? A phenomenal couple. A child had no gloves, they found a pair and not once did they make someone feel needy in giving it.

Within 48 hours, the family made contact with the media and stated that they had forgave those people that had killed their parents. Before that time, and for a very long time after, we were stunned. We knew who was involved. I remember walking in to work and my collegue said to me, "And if you could truthfully comprehend, what does that say about you?" And, she's right. Then I listened to their sons. They had the strength and the capacity to say, "I forgive you." I think they knew that they had one small minute to realize that whatever came out of their mouths would decide the following months. Would there be some type of retaliation, or an attempt to exploit the situation? I think they were able to consider every possible reaction and attempt to stop it because they knew what their parents would have done. Even if there were family members (and members of the community) that sure weren't ready to be in a place to do so.

I'm not so interested in the whole public comments of forgiveness, I am far more impressed in their ability to recognize possible reactions and respond swiftly. It was far more important to start the healing process of the family and the community and they may not have been allowed to do so without nipping outside agitation in the bud.

I think it would be more productive to reach my family with my words rather than have an outside agency take up that task.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
It is so hard to conjecture about this kind of thing. However since the question was raised I will.
If I wee the victim of a violent crime resulting in murder I would want life in prison without parole to insure that the same thing does not happen to another
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime