Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:17 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,970 times

Advertisements

Re: SS Fraud, I must say I am pretty disappointed - I agree with so many of the comments throughout this thread - specifically, I was referring to a party who has a myriad of social security numbers - uses different ones at a drop of a hat; uses some SS numbers that are not even true SS numbers - used a couple of numbers that were designed during WW II only - and opened a couple of bank accounts with those numbers - was able to wire different funds from one account to another with different SS numbers - conned many people out of hundreds of thousands of dollars - all of which I do consider SS fraud...and absolutely nothing was done...nothing.

How outrageous is that? I presume that if any of us used more than one SS number, we would be in a whole lot of trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:46 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Then there is no reason for them to not to go after illegals committing fraud is there, yet they go after very few of the them... ASK them why they don't... And the OP said she knew someone committing SS fraud Not Medicare fraud...
Tyhe same can be said of mnay frauds. basically i really doubt that they have beeen reported and of course like all enforcement they are every shorthanded. have you for example reported all those frauds you are talking about?Surely you know more than one from what you say.Otherwise its the same as all those drug deals going on i the streets. Seems like nothig is being doen until you look at the number of arrest and thehn the overload in the courts .

Old 10-30-2010, 10:14 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinD69 View Post
I know of someone commiting Social Security Fraud, what should I do? This person is stealing from those of us who have worked for such things.
Good for you for reporting the person.

Now I am wondering if I should report someone who has applied for SSDI who is clearly NOT disabled to the point as she is planning a trip to Turkey and going it alone. Granted, she is visiting her son there, but I know for sure even I wouldn't be able to do this.

This person is functional enough to plan parties, etc.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:32 PM

19,215 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Good for you for reporting the person.

Now I am wondering if I should report someone who has applied for SSDI who is clearly NOT disabled to the point as she is planning a trip to Turkey and going it alone. Granted, she is visiting her son there, but I know for sure even I wouldn't be able to do this.

This person is functional enough to plan parties, etc.
Your example doesn't really indicate if the person you are referring to is disabled to the extent that they should be receiving SSDI. What one person describes as functional might not fit for the other person. In this case, I think it depends on what line of work this person was doing before becoming disabled as opposed to their current physical abilities. It doesn't take much effort to pack a suitcase and get on a plane. I once did that with a broken arm in a cast.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Your example doesn't really indicate if the person you are referring to is disabled to the extent that they should be receiving SSDI. What one person describes as functional might not fit for the other person. In this case, I think it depends on what line of work this person was doing before becoming disabled as opposed to their current physical abilities. It doesn't take much effort to pack a suitcase and get on a plane. I once did that with a broken arm in a cast.
This person has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder yet is well controlled. This person has a good marriage, well kept house, money, can travel, can look for work, can even develop a consulting idea and market it to a potential employer. So it's a mental illness claim.

To me and from what I know of mental illness and the global assessment functioning scale, to get SSDI one has to be rendered non-functional (i.e. not be able to get out of bed, not attend to daily tasks (showering, eating, etc), not be able to work - you get the idea.

At any rate, SSDI turns down most people on the first try, so I am just going to keep my mouth shut.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
This person has a diagnosis of bipolar disorder yet is well controlled. This person has a good marriage, well kept house, money, can travel, can look for work, can even develop a consulting idea and market it to a potential employer. So it's a mental illness claim.

To me and from what I know of mental illness and the global assessment functioning scale, to get SSDI one has to be rendered non-functional (i.e. not be able to get out of bed, not attend to daily tasks (showering, eating, etc), not be able to work - you get the idea.

At any rate, SSDI turns down most people on the first try, so I am just going to keep my mouth shut.
Reporting her at this point will not do any good. They are going to assess her application like they do all others initially. Anyone is allowed to at least apply for the benefit.

Her chances do not look good because bipolar can be extremely well controlled with medication to the point where people can work and live normal lives. Just like someone can take medication for high blood pressure or high cholesterol, etc. If she can't control her bipolar it is only her own fault for not taking medication as prescribed. SSDI used to give out benefits for bipolar a lot easier and then got bombarded with malingerers. Now they are much more hip to how effective the medications are.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Reporting her at this point will not do any good. They are going to assess her application like they do all others initially. Anyone is allowed to at least apply for the benefit.

Her chances do not look good because bipolar can be extremely well controlled with medication to the point where people can work and live normal lives. Just like someone can take medication for high blood pressure or high cholesterol, etc. If she can't control her bipolar it is only her own fault for not taking medication as prescribed. SSDI used to give out benefits for bipolar a lot easier and then got bombarded with malingerers. Now they are much more hip to how effective the medications are.

Well, that's my point. She takes her meds as prescribed and is very functional. She spent a day at the psych ward once (self-admitted) and then went home to fix Thanksgiving turkey for eight people. That is not disabled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime