Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times

Advertisements

Registering sex offenders is probably a good idea. But, I'd be equally interested in knowing if a murderer, drug dealer, or habitual drunk driver is living in my neighborhood. Why stop at registering only the sex offenders? When one commits any crime serious enough to be considered a felony, certain rights are forfeited. Anonymity should be one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 01:05 PM

268 posts, read 878,075 times
From my European point of view, registration of sex offenders is not the best idea. Why is it?
But IF you registrate them (and nail them to a public pillory), why only the sex offenders? Why not every criminal or...speed offenders??
Think about this: When you know that there are 2 sex offenders, one drug offender, and 20 speed offenders in your neighbourhood: would you feel safer? Would you be safer?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:31 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2360039 View Post
From my European point of view, registration of sex offenders is not the best idea. Why is it?
But IF you registrate them (and nail them to a public pillory), why only the sex offenders? Why not every criminal or...speed offenders??
Think about this: When you know that there are 2 sex offenders, one drug offender, and 20 speed offenders in your neighbourhood: would you feel safer? Would you be safer?
I shouldn't have to say it but while most deserve the punishment there are some that don't. It is what happens when lawyers who lack common sense make knee jerk laws.

How about the young college lady who flashed her breasts in public after having to much to drink? It happened here and her life is wrecked should she be forced from the job market made to live in dirt bag motels on disability because she can not get a job the rest of her life?

How about the 19 year old kid who got caught having sex with his 17 year old high school girlfriend? Does he deserve a wrecked life?

What about the guy who got caught peeing in a bush (public urination) by a passing cop? Come on guys, have any of you ever done this?

Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 PM

904 posts, read 2,874,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I shouldn't have to say it but while most deserve the punishment there are some that don't. It is what happens when lawyers who lack common sense make knee jerk laws.

How about the young college lady who flashed her breasts in public after having to much to drink? It happened here and her life is wrecked should she be forced from the job market made to live in dirt bag motels on disability because she can not get a job the rest of her life?

How about the 19 year old kid who got caught having sex with his 17 year old high school girlfriend? Does he deserve a wrecked life?

What about the guy who got caught peeing in a bush (public urination) by a passing cop? Come on guys, have any of you ever done this?
There are a lot of states which consider these things and do not make them register as a sex offender. I do think there needs to be a difference. If not then the registration tells us nothing. I do believe that, as a parent, I have the right to protect my family. It is important to me that I know if a child molester lives next door. There will always be exceptions such as first offenders but I think the public has a right to know if someone has committed a crime of that nature. I am a firm believer that these people (child molesters) can not be cured. I think they should be taken out back and shot. Since that isn't going to happen, I'd like to at least be notified if one moves next door. Protecting the general public should be more important than one's personal privacy.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:35 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
I'm not a huge fan of criminal registries. I think that once your sentence ends, your sentence ends. If you have a problem with living next to rapists, maybe laws should be changed so that rapists never leave prison (something I'd greatly support).

Old 09-16-2010, 04:25 AM

165 posts, read 601,015 times
Personally, I dislike the sex offender registry. It is a form of additional punishment. As other mentioned before, I believe that someone should be punished for their crimes either with prison and/or fines and then be done with it.

Rape by force should be a life sentence (and is in many places). Same with sexual contact with a child under 14. A person convicted of those crimes should never be out. If the crime doesn't warrant life long imprisonment, this means to me that the State does not consider the person dangerous anymore. So if this is the case, there is no need for a registry. Since the registry is needed, then this means the state is letting violent and/or repeat offenders loose and more or less telling the citizens to watch their own back.

I have a misdeamnor violation on my record from Tennessee that can never be expunged. It angers me because it makes it that much harder to find employment with those fk'ing background checks. It is an endless punishment. I have been hired and then have the offer resinded from one job. The guy told me that if I would of put it in my application, I still could of been hired. I personally doubt that.

I was encourage people to have an alternate identity and have more than one social security number. I have looked into getting a fake birth certificate and then getting other ID from that, so I can beat the background check. I now live in a foreign country with a wife from said country, and I worry a lot that one day for a visa that a background check will be required, thus, me losing my nice life here. All over stealing a $10 dollar steak.

I think that a misdeamnor offence should be dropped from records after 5 to 10 years. My crime was 14 years ago. My wonderful state of Tenne**** will not expunge it, my only hope is to get a pardon from the Governor, and I doubt the Governor of Tenne**** would do that, at least without a sizable bribe. That's how it rolls here.

Felons have it so much worse. Some people with criminal records want to go straight and do the right thing, but again, with these background check ****, it is very difficult to get on track, which forces the criminal to go back to criminal activities. If I was forced into it by employment refusals, I would go back to criminal activity. Man's gotta eat.

I looked up the state sex offender registry for kicks one night and saw that there was a sex offender who lived up the street. I am not a 100% sure, but he is a guy about 28 years old who probably lives with his parents because of his crime, which is something like 2nd degree sexual assault or something like that. Dude is living at home because he cannot get a job. Sad. Personally, I would run away and try to live somewhere anonymously.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:10 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Boogie Woogie View Post
I now live in a foreign country with a wife from said country, and I worry a lot that one day for a visa that a background check will be required, thus, me losing my nice life here. All over stealing a $10 dollar steak.

I think that a misdeamnor offence should be dropped from records after 5 to 10 years. My crime was 14 years ago. My wonderful state of Tenne**** will not expunge it, my only hope is to get a pardon from the Governor, and I doubt the Governor of Tenne**** would do that, at least without a sizable bribe. That's how it rolls here.
There has to be some common sense and justice.

It was the 1960's, I was living in Berkley and like everyone around us my roommate and I had a marijuana garden. Everyone had one (it was Berkley, California after all) and the maximum penalty if you got caught was a $5 fine.

I got a job offer in a midwest state so I harvested my crop, ended up with 2 lbs in a shoebox, loaded everything in my Volkswagen beetle with California plates and with my hair in a pony tail, a tie die shirt, peace sign in the back window and 2 lbs of pot under the back seat I leave for the great midwest via LA taking the southern route through the hippy loving states of Arizona, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas.... yeah.

I was just over 21 years old and what would have happened to me if I had been pulled over in Texas? With two pounds today I would be a drug king pin and spend life in a federal supermax.

I was young and didn't know. I wasn't a dangerous criminal.

Fact when I got to where I was going I read an article in the paper where a couple smucks got 15 years for 8 ounces.... scared me straight. I flushed what I had down the toilet and haven't seen any in 40 years.

But I was young.

Young males sometimes do very stupid things and I would venture a guess many of us five finger discounted or did something really stupid.

Things I would like to see.

It isn't statutory rape if the age difference is less than 4 or 5 years and coercion of force wasn't used. Hardly a one of us males would have turned down a 16 year old girl when we were 19.

But if the guy is 35 and the girl 17 then he should hang for being an idiot if nothing else.

If the crime didn't involve violence or firearms there should be an avenue to having the record completely expunged if the crime was committed under the age of 26 and there hasn't been any criminal activity for four or five years. Many young men who screw up at 19 or 20 years of age should be given a second chance at redemption.

Quote:
Felons have it so much worse. Some people with criminal records want to go straight and do the right thing, but again, with these background check ****, it is very difficult to get on track, which forces the criminal to go back to criminal activities. If I was forced into it by employment refusals, I would go back to criminal activity. Man's gotta eat.
Where I live I could imagine nothing worse than being on a sex offender registry. I would rather be a convicted murderer out on parole than to be convicted of public urination which is something every male here has done at one time in his life. It is that bad and in our zeal to protect our children we gleefully consign some to the fires of hell.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:55 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,193,501 times
If you listed all the felons....it would probably include half the people on the block.

Most people have made a mistake of some sort through out their life. It doesn't make them all monsters or bad people.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:02 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESFP View Post
Registering sex offenders is probably a good idea. But, I'd be equally interested in knowing if a murderer, drug dealer, or habitual drunk driver is living in my neighborhood. Why stop at registering only the sex offenders? When one commits any crime serious enough to be considered a felony, certain rights are forfeited. Anonymity should be one of them.
I have to totally agree with you on this too! I'd love to know what kind of person is moving into my neighborhood and know if they were murderers or prostitutes. It's a great idea to know all them too. I think felonies should be automatically registered.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:03 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If you listed all the felons....it would probably include half the people on the block.

Most people have made a mistake of some sort through out their life. It doesn't make them all monsters or bad people.
True, very true. But a felony is obviously a dangerous crime that was committed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime