Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 12:26 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,584,725 times

Advertisements

I've read the account of Kason's friend who tried to run out in the street when he was hit by the first vehicle, and she said that the second vehicle actually accelerated toward them. It just doesn't seem right to me that neither driver is being charged with anything! Is it just me, or does anybody else think it doesn't seem right? I mean, if you hit somebody and drive off, it's bad enough, but for somebody to actually try to hit somebody with the intent to kill, as it seems the second driver did? Why are there no charges? Do any of the police officers involved have some insight that we're not hearing about? What a horrible story!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 02:10 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,131,204 times
It's quite possible the car coming towards him simply didn't see him--if I'm not mistaken it was dark when he was hit, and if he was wearing dark clothing he might have been completely hidden to oncoming traffic until it was too late. I have not read anywhere that either driver tried to flee the scene.

There is a crosswalk 500 feet west of where he was hit, there is another with a light under a quarter mile (four minute walk for a teen) east. Frankly it seems illogical to play human pinball with oncoming traffic while these options exist.

It's too bad that the police around here don't do a better job of enforcing jaywalking and cars stopping for people in cross walks, it might save some lives.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:57 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,584,725 times
That's true. I did hear recently that the Orlando area is the pedestrian-fatality capital of the U.S. I've never seen the police stop anybody that was jaywalking.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:18 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,717,189 times
I would bet the police know better than anyone what went on that night. I trust their judgement. Just because no one is being charged now, does not mean no one will be charged if the police determine something differently later.
I am certain the friend's perception of things going on that evening were quite altered in her panicked state. I am certain mine would have been. The car may have seemed to be accelerating toward her...I am sure she was freaking out either way as her friend was lying there. I would have been. Time has a way of feeling altered, distorted.

In any event, it is just tragic all the way around. Who should have been in a crosswalk, maybe had on lighter clothes, maybe been driving slower, paying more attention....a combination of variables and we have a different outcome. Trying to pass judgement on the police investigation or on the drivers of the vehicles doesn't do anyone any good. The pedestrians were equally at fault - if there is any fault to be had here for not being in a crosswalk. I just believe this to be a tragic, sad, ill-fated accident. In addition, this is apparently a very bad road with no apparent safe way for pedestrians to cross safely...perhaps the city will address it now? Maybe that is the reason there are no charges...no traffic lights with walk/don't walk lights. Just because you paint a crosswalk doesn't mean cars will stop there...those cannot be seen by traffic going 45 mph...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime