Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 AM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times

Advertisements

Link: Houston officer kills double amputee in wheelchair - Yahoo! News

Quote:
A Houston police officer shot and killed a one-armed, one-legged man in a wheelchair Saturday inside a group home after police say the double amputee threatened the officer and aggressively waved a metal object that turned out to be a pen
The more am reading these police shooting innocent victims: Am thinking either everyone needs to be armed or no one needs to be armed. what else can be done?

Quote:
Between 1980 and 2005, close to 9,600 people were killed by police in America -- an average of about one fatal shooting every day. However, the real number may be higher due to underreporting by some departments to the federal government. For example, the Los Angeles Police Department responded to a Freedom of Information Act request by claiming there were 79 fatal police shootings from 2000 to 2005. Yet only 38 fatal shootings were reported to the federal government for the same period.
Link: Too many police shootings: More than a few bad apples

How can we put a stop at ending Police shootings?

We all know the grocery store owner who was killed by NYPD as he was trying to escape from the Robbers. Sad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 07:02 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
How many do criminals kill?

Old 09-23-2012, 07:21 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,574,372 times
Unfortunately, it does happen. Police Officers are human too, and they sometimes make wrong decisions, react to stress and misinterpret information just like the rest of us. Given that, one a day is still better than the numbers killed by civilian citizens against one another - for no reason - people in the wrong place at the wrong time, living their lives - sometimes in their own homes. Drive by shootings, retaliations, drug deals, robberies, planned attacks still claim more victims on a daily basis than any police officer does. Many cops never kill anyone or even shoot anyone during their whole law enforcement career. They are outgunned by the criminals these days. I am glad they are there....regardless.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:04 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,139,630 times
Some folks just bring it on themselves....one would have to be a complete fool to threaten a cop. Then there's the whole suicide by cop which seems to be gaining popularity these days.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:47 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,632,176 times
And regular civilians kill how many a day? Police are humans underneath that uniform in case you have never noticed, and thus NOT perfect like you would have them be. Are you perfect? Perhaps if you are better than they are at what they do maybe you should don a uniform and see if you can last out there on some of the mean streets without becoming bitter and accidentally shooting someone yourself.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:53 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Cops seem a lot less corrupt and jaded than they once were. I suspect that every cop feels bad about having to take a human life and they must feel devastated if they shoot an innocent civilian.

I don't know the specifics of the guy running from the perps and was shot by accident by a cop. Did the cop shout a warning first, the way he's supposed to? Maybe the poor fleeing shop owner didn't hear. I'd be so over excited that I probably would not hear.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Cops seem a lot less corrupt and jaded than they once were. I suspect that every cop feels bad about having to take a human life and they must feel devastated if they shoot an innocent civilian.

I don't know the specifics of the guy running from the perps and was shot by accident by a cop. Did the cop shout a warning first, the way he's supposed to? Maybe the poor fleeing shop owner didn't hear. I'd be so over excited that I probably would not hear.
Killing someone is easy, living with the aftermath is the most difficult aspect of being a police officer.

I'd like to know where the police are supposed to "shout a warning first, the way he's supposed" too came from. What law, book, case decision, etc did this come from?

Old 09-28-2012, 10:34 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Killing someone is easy, living with the aftermath is the most difficult aspect of being a police officer.

I'd like to know where the police are supposed to "shout a warning first, the way he's supposed" too came from. What law, book, case decision, etc did this come from?
Most people seem to get their education about law enforcement from the TV, sadly enough . . .

Old 09-28-2012, 03:06 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Most people seem to get their education about law enforcement from the TV, sadly enough . . .
Yes. Unfortunately very true. An issue I have been fighting against on this board for quite awhile. The ignorance of people, in regards to laws and the criminal justice system, is astounding. However, they saw it on CSI, so it must be true...

Old 09-28-2012, 05:39 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
I have known of more than one person who has done "suicide by cop", they bait police into a situation that creates violence, specifically to be killed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime