Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,568,524 times

Advertisements

Another mind-boggling case: Baby forgotten in the car for so many hours???

Spoiler
A mother, working at Hooters in Pheonix, Arizona, allegedly forgot her toddler in the back seat of her car when she went to work. She forgot to drop her baby off at daycare and returned to her car where she discovered her dead son.
This happens so often and why??? Why are parents forgetting about their most precious cargo? Why are daily distractions enough to forget about your own baby? Why is it so common? Could this happen to you??

Is it really possible to forget ones child because of distractions? Or is this intentional...to rid oneself of responsibilities and get away with it???

I Sincerely want to know...any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2011, 07:24 PM

1,710 posts, read 3,138,165 times
Unfortunately it happens and there is no criminal intent in many cases but it doesn't make the outcome any easier to stomach. What do you do with a parent who sincerely just forgot.....they are going to serve a life sentence of having to deal with their own mistake thus making them a victim too. Even for the non-malicious, some sort of jail sentence seems appropriate and custody loss of other children is in order IMO.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Unfortunately it happens and there is no criminal intent in many cases but it doesn't make the outcome any easier to stomach. What do you do with a parent who sincerely just forgot.....they are going to serve a life sentence of having to deal with their own mistake thus making them a victim too. Even for the non-malicious, some sort of jail sentence seems appropriate and custody loss of other children is in order IMO.
As a mother...I really am trying to understand this gut-wrenching phenomena without condemnation. I'm not even concern with jail sentence...just what state-of-mind a parent must be in that would result in forgetting a precious cargo "all day" long.

Thank you for participating.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:43 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,730,943 times
I don't understand it either since I never forgot my kids...but almost forgot one time my little dog who came with me to my office and when we came home and I was parked in the garage I forgot him...but when I walked into the house and only one dog came running to me I remembered the other one was in the car...I felt horrible although it was only a few minutes but in Florida a few minutes in a hot car in a garage can be too long...

I would suggest all parents to put their suit case, purse or something else with their child in the back so they will need that and therefore not forget their precious child.

When I buy groceries on my way to the office and I put them in the fridge I always put my keys on top of the small frige making sure I won't forget my groceries when I go home..many times one of our employees/contractors came to bring my keys and I had to explain why they are there...and they all told me that is smart to do...same can be done in a car.

Old 06-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't understand it either since I never forgot my kids...but almost forgot one time my little dog who came with me to my office and when we came home and I was parked in the garage I forgot him...but when I walked into the house and only one dog came running to me I remembered the other one was in the car...I felt horrible although it was only a few minutes but in Florida a few minutes in a hot car in a garage can be too long...

I would suggest all parents to put their suit case, purse or something else with their child in the back so they will need that and therefore not forget their precious child.

When I buy groceries on my way to the office and I put them in the fridge I always put my keys on top of the small frige making sure I won't forget my groceries when I go home..many times one of our employees/contractors came to bring my keys and I had to explain why they are there...and they all told me that is smart to do...same can be done in a car.

That is really a smart idea...something so simple that would definitely prevent cases like this from happening over and over again. One case is enough to jolt our awareness...but for this phenomenon to persist is what boggles my mind....

Old 06-13-2011, 08:36 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Well, I had 4 children, under age 9. I worked full time, and had a husband who was constantly giving me emotional pain. I will be honest, once I left the keys in the car, and it was stolen. Another time I left two bags of groceries in the car, with milk and chicken. So...I have ADD. I also took care of my Grandmother, age 90, at the same time.

I never left a child in the car, but I can see how it could happen.

One thing, for parents, is to realize when they are overwhelmed. And try not to be perfect. That causes stress, and being forgetful.

They have a new safety commercial out, where the Mother gives her cell phone to the baby...you might forget the baby, but not the cell phone?! Anyway...

Old 06-13-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Well, I had 4 children, under age 9. I worked full time, and had a husband who was constantly giving me emotional pain. I will be honest, once I left the keys in the car, and it was stolen. Another time I left two bags of groceries in the car, with milk and chicken. So...I have ADD. I also took care of my Grandmother, age 90, at the same time.

I never left a child in the car, but I can see how it could happen.

One thing, for parents, is to realize when they are overwhelmed. And try not to be perfect. That causes stress, and being forgetful.

They have a new safety commercial out, where the Mother gives her cell phone to the baby...you might forget the baby, but not the cell phone?! Anyway...
The irony of it...can forget the baby, but not the cell phone.
You have my sympathy jasper12...I've gone through some tough times in the past myself.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,352,792 times
Thanks. But those days for me are just a blur. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger! My kids are now in their 20's.

Don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes.

And yes...maybe some people are really to stupid to have kids. But I do think some people overwhelm themselves with too much.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,763,636 times
Why don't these women program their cell phones to ring every 5 minutes with a message or just use the alarm to remind them get to the car with their baby in it. Better yet why not just leave the A/C on at an even temp and put the car alarm on so if anyone tries to steal the car while it's running with baby inside the alarm will go off. Seems to me if people think the alarm would deter a thief when it's not running then it would deter a thief even if the car is running.

I program my cell phone all the time to ring/alarm/reminders.

Another idea might work if they have OnStar. Why not ask OnStar to call them on their cell phone to remind them that the baby is in the vehicle. Of course the best and most caring thing to do would be to take the baby with them even if they intend to just run in for one minute. You never know what could happen in the few seconds/minutes you are in the store or wherever like what Jasper12 went through with her car being stolen.

EDIT: I don't buy for one second that she forgot to drop her child off at daycare. That is part of her daily routine...Parents do that without even thinking that's how automatic it is for a parent to drop off a child at daycare and School. I just don't buy it. How many times I rushed to work and was in such a hurry I didn't even remember driving to work yet I didn't forget how to get there. I'm surprised the daycare didn't call to see if everything was alright.

Last edited by Lolipopbubbles; 06-13-2011 at 09:38 PM..

Old 06-13-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Thanks. But those days for me are just a blur. That which does not kill you, makes you stronger! My kids are now in their 20's.

Don't judge someone until you have walked in their shoes.

And yes...maybe some people are really to stupid to have kids. But I do think some people overwhelm themselves with too much.
In this case which involve little children, especially babies who have no way of fending for themselves...I won't wait until I've walked in their shoe (I pray I never have to) before I say, "gross neglect." I have a soft spot for these little ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime