Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 06:22 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times

Advertisements

If Casey was black, I am sure she would be on death row right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 10:13 AM

7,006 posts, read 7,000,077 times
Diary of a Tired Black Man: The Casey Anthony Verdict

Interesting comments here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Is OJ on death row right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
For the same reason race was such a big deal in the OJ Simpson case.
OJ killed his white wife and her white Jewish friend. Which black person did Casey Anthony kill?

Old 07-18-2011, 05:30 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Diary of a Tired Black Man: The Casey Anthony Verdict

Interesting comments here.

Is OJ on death row right now?

OJ killed his white wife and her white Jewish friend. Which black person did Casey Anthony kill?

He killed his white wife...exactly my point. Hence all the outrage over his acquittal.

Had he killed a black woman, would whites had been all in an uproar over him getting away with it? Not many would have cared...it certainly would not have been the "crime of the century."

Just as if Casey and Caylee Anthony were black, we wouldn't have endless threads on this forum about that crime.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:44 PM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,478 times
Quote:
He killed his white wife...exactly my point. Hence all the outrage over his acquittal.

Had he killed a black woman, would whites had been all in an uproar over him getting away with it? Not many would have cared...it certainly would not have been the "crime of the century."

Just as if Casey and Caylee Anthony were black, we wouldn't have endless threads on this forum about that crime.
Agree with what is in bold.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:41 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,565,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't know about that. OJ's not.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Women on Death Row - Kenisha Berry

Here is the link for Kenisha Berry...please read her crime...and wonder why she is on death row...

As for OJ...please...I lived in LA during that time...I would have voted him not guilty, no matter if there had been a video tape of him doing it. Watts was a powder keg, ready to go off...The mayhem and anarchary would have been legend if he had been declared "Guilty"...it would have made the Detroit riot in 1967 look like Mayberry. It was so close to the Rodney King issue, just 2 years earlier...believe me...it would have been crazy.

And, OJ was a likeable guy, sure...he is black...but everyone liked him...Casey, not even in his category...

Last edited by jasper12; 07-18-2011 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-19-2011, 03:38 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,000,077 times
Quote:

It's amazing how some are able to discount so many other mitigating factors in crime stories but choose instead to focus solely on race. Let me repeat to you: it's not always all about race. Anthony didn't get all this media attention simply because she was white. There are thousands of other white kids who are killed but they don't receive media attention, for whatever reason.

The OJ murder was the "crime of the century" because it was the first big celebrity murder that was televised to audiences. OJ was a very rich, likable, and popular celebrity at the time. For many Americans to learn that such a charismatic and charming star athlete could have this secret violent, dark side to him was both compelling and horrifying. It made for great TV, a real-life soap opera.

If OJ's wife had been black and he killed her, yes, it would still be a big story because of his celebrity status.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,489,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
It's amazing how some are able to discount so many other mitigating factors in crime stories but choose instead to focus solely on race. Let me repeat to you: it's not always all about race. Anthony didn't get all this media attention simply because she was white. There are thousands of other white kids who are killed but they don't receive media attention, for whatever reason.

The OJ murder was the "crime of the century" because it was the first big celebrity murder that was televised to audiences. OJ was a very rich, likable, and popular celebrity at the time. For many Americans to learn that such a charismatic and charming star athlete could have this secret violent, dark side to him was both compelling and horrifying. It made for great TV, a real-life soap opera.

If OJ's wife had been black and he killed her, yes, it would still be a big story because of his celebrity status.
It's amazing how some people are able to focus on every mitigating factor EXCEPT race. No, it's not ALWAYS about race, but it is a factor whether you want to believe it or not. Casey Anthony didn't get so much attention simply because she was white--of course there is more to it than that. But it did have a part in why America is so enthralled with her. Yes, there are thousands of white children who are murdered or missing who get no media attention, but the clear and simple fact remains--the ones who do are white.

I doubt if OJ had killed his black wife if anyone would have done much more than shrug and say, "Oh, that's too bad. He seemed like such a nice guy!" The fact that he killed a white woman is what sparked off so much tension, animosity, hatred, and media attention. There were black people who figured, look at all the black men killed in this country by white men who have gotten away with it. And there were whites who felt like they had accepted and loved this black football player only for him to go nuts and kill this pretty blonde white woman and her friend, and were outraged. I don't know what part of the planet you were on not to be able to see the racial undertones and all the bitterness and anger that came with it in the Simpson case.

So let me repeat to you...race is a factor whether you like it or not. Not the only factor, or maybe not even the biggest factor is some cases, and not in the Casey Anthony case. I wouldn't say she was acquitted because she is white, but I do and always will say we wouldn't even be hearing about her if she wasn't white.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:27 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,212,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
I don't believe race is a factor other wise Casey would not even be charged...

I also didn hear anything about the judge...I believe that most people saw judge who did a good job and not a .....

I wish this thread was not started....because I'm getting so sick of race being mentioned in almost every subject....this case was a about a middle class girl who lied about almost everything....a child who is dead found with duct tape on her mouth, throw away in way I would not even dumb my garbage, a mother who did nothing than party, meanwhile committed theft and fraud...parents who first call the cops on her and then changed their story to decent their spoiled daughter...

I don't see what race has to do with this case
The media made it racial by turning the case into a circus, not by charging her(the media doesn't have that power anyway). It is also cheap, sensationalist and lazy. This is journalism the way a snuff film is art.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:21 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,638,478 times
Quote:
It's amazing how some people are able to focus on every mitigating factor EXCEPT race. No, it's not ALWAYS about race, but it is a factor whether you want to believe it or not. Casey Anthony didn't get so much attention simply because she was white--of course there is more to it than that. But it did have a part in why America is so enthralled with her. Yes, there are thousands of white children who are murdered or missing who get no media attention, but the clear and simple fact remains--the ones who do are white.

I doubt if OJ had killed his black wife if anyone would have done much more than shrug and say, "Oh, that's too bad. He seemed like such a nice guy!" The fact that he killed a white woman is what sparked off so much tension, animosity, hatred, and media attention. There were black people who figured, look at all the black men killed in this country by white men who have gotten away with it. And there were whites who felt like they had accepted and loved this black football player only for him to go nuts and kill this pretty blonde white woman and her friend, and were outraged. I don't know what part of the planet you were on not to be able to see the racial undertones and all the bitterness and anger that came with it in the Simpson case.

So let me repeat to you...race is a factor whether you like it or not. Not the only factor, or maybe not even the biggest factor is some cases, and not in the Casey Anthony case. I wouldn't say she was acquitted because she is white, but I do and always will say we wouldn't even be hearing about her if she wasn't white.

I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime